We are not contenders

Title is confusing. Contenders for what exactly? The Super Bowl? Newsflash we never were this year and if you think they were that's on you.

Didn't the Bills win yesterday? There's complaints now on style points? I'm sure there's many on this board with no living memory of the Bills in the playoffs and we got some complaining they don't look impressive in a win?

Bottom line is the Bills offense this year wasn't built around their QB or even their line. Their success is dependent upon the skill positions and when the top 2 skill guys are out its no surprise the offense has struggled.

IMO (and maybe some wont want to hear this) our goal this year should be to get a wild card and actually know what it feels like to be in the playoffs.......

This team needs to get out of 15 years of losing and no playoffs.....last year we had an above average record at 9-7

This year.....lets get into the post season

The next year......see what tweaks can be made to become a serious contender (to me that means better OL starters and depth)

It has been the same week, to week. Taylor can not get it done without his legs.

LOL

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beating Cincy would shut everyone up about whether or not we are contenders. This would be a real statement game. Also (and more important) another W on the way to 10 or more wins. Even I have to agree that the Bengals are and should be favored by any objective observer....but hell...we're not objective observers. Go Bills.

I have to John

Thanks Captain Obvious

Beating Cincy would shut everyone up about whether or not we are contenders. This would be a real statement game. Also (and more important) another W on the way to 10 or more wins. Even I have to agree that the Bengals are and should be favored by any objective observer....but hell...we're not objective observers. Go Bills.

for 1 week (or until the next game)

When the Bills can string together a 3, 4 or 5 game win streak I will start to believe again.

Until that happens they are pretenders.

I have to John

Thanks Captain Obvious

for 1 week (or until the next game)

When the Bills can string together a 3, 4 or 5 game win streak I will start to believe again.

Until that happens they are pretenders.

no pretender is going to step up and take down Cincy this year. That team is legit this year, getting elite play from all aspects of their team with Dalton absolutely slaying it behind Centre ( sp....I'm Canadian). If the Bills win that game, they can win every game they play this season and that's a fact.

:thumbsup:

getting to the playoffs doesn't make one a contender

contender for what? You are talking about the SB? Ok... Based upon the title of your thread I expected this to be a hot take about getting into the playoffs as WC. I don't know anyone who ever considered this team to be a SB contender, do you?

I agree with the people that day it's good to get a win with a new QB and our skill guys out, but there's no way to put a happy face on going 3 qtrs without crossing mid-field. Hopefully it was just an off day, but that kind of performance is inexcusable. That's not just a slow start, and it's not just a matter of missing our top skill guys. That was the worst offense in the league for 3 qtrs. You ought to be able to at least pick up a few first downs regardless of who you've got in.

Whether it's the scheme, the QB, the coaching, or whatever, we need to get a lot better as a unit to be competitive. I'm still happy with TT, and his 4th quarter heroics are encouraging, but I can't pretend the offense was fine because Taylor pulled it out at the end.

I agree with the people that day it's good to get a win with a new QB and our skill guys out, but there's no way to put a happy face on going 3 qtrs without crossing mid-field. Hopefully it was just an off day, but that kind of performance is inexcusable. That's not just a slow start, and it's not just a matter of missing our top skill guys. That was the worst offense in the league for 3 qtrs. You ought to be able to at least pick up a few first downs regardless of who you've got in.

Whether it's the scheme, the QB, the coaching, or whatever, we need to get a lot better as a unit to be competitive. I'm still happy with TT, and his 4th quarter heroics are encouraging, but I can't pretend the offense was fine because Taylor pulled it out at the end.

not a person with an iota of intelligence can argue this point.

TT is not Peyton Manning, but he is a lot like Russell Wilson. And Seattle has gone to two straight Super Bowls.

We have a terrific multi-threat QB who can win because that is what is needed to win in today's NFL. It was a bad first half of the Titans

game but they adjusted and dominated the second half.

The offseason was great and we got pumped by all the moves but this team is the same as it always has been; average.

We either have a great defense or a great offense and until we get them both we are going nowhere as todays victory proved that we could barely beat a marginal team.

until we get a QB that can pass better than he can run and greatly improve the offensive line we are going nowhere.

Ok so i'm a bit torn on this. Because there are just so many factors to consider. Normally I would sit down, look at all of them and probably agree with you. We are just outside of playoff caliber football.

1) Lots of Injuries to some important people

2) New Coaches, new players, new schemes

3) O-line is NOT doing well

4) Patriots are still beasts, and the Fitz reunited with Chan is pretty amazing. Won't like, having Geno get his jaw broken might have been worse since i'm pretty sure Fitz at this point is a better option with Chan.

But...... then there is that stuff about any given sunday, and every year is a new year. MAN is the AFC weak...... and really !@#$ing banged up. i mean look at the Bal, Pitt, Mia, SD, KC, Hou, and Indy...... it's been a rough season.

If ever there was a season we could squeak our way into the playoffs with sub par play and getting used to what we have as a team, this has got to be it. In all honesty, our season might come down entirely to how well we do against the Jets and the NFC East.

If we cut back on penalties and can get a little healthier with some better oline play, we should at least make the playoffs. I don't think there are that many teams in the AFC that are truly flat out better than us. the AFC East is probably the best division in the AFC.

While it's a shame we are down a couple of guys, we need to drop this excuse IMHO.

Just looking over the list I see that the Jets are without their starting QB and the Suck for Lucks are down the greatest QB in the history of the NFL and have a 40 year old dude playing QB for them. Every team has injuries. Deal with it and win anyway. We did yesterday, we just gotta do it again this week.

i didn't state it as an excuse - not sure what you mean. I mentioned it as a spot of encouragement - that we are one of 6 teams in the AFC with 3 wins in the conference, even without those guys. Edited by YoloinOhio

I'm not a fan of Tasker as an announcer, but his point yesterday that the Bills' offense was playmaker-centered is right. It is not a system offense with a lot of plug-and-play guys able to work off of and take advantage of superior o-line play. If the playmakers are missing, things are gonna go south fast, especially against a good defense like Tennessee's and with an o-line as mediocre as Buffalo's.

Edited by dave mcbride

I'm not a fan of Tasker as an announcer, but his point yesterday that the Bills' offense was playmaker-centered is right. It is not a system offense with a lot of plug-and-play guys able to work off of and take advantage of superior o-line play. If the playmakers are missing, things are gonna go south fast, especially against a good defense like Tennessee's and with an o-line as mediocre as Buffalo's.

100% correct, and is also proving that Harvin & Woods are decent complementary players, but nowhere near No. 1 WRs

I for one will not be wringing my hands over a one point win on the road. I remember the Kelly years (I think) as well as anybody here and they put up some stinkers and still won. They lost a bunch of games too. Not every game is a 3 touchdown blowout. Good teams will win the white knuckle games that the faint of heart can barely watch for fear of losing.

A win is a win.......it's a cliche but it's true. It's good that they took advantage of Tyrod's running talents, but that can't keep going back to that every game. I didn't get the game here where I live, but just from the highlights I could see that he took a beating. He won't last the season if he keeps doing that. It doesn't help that the offense is missing so much talent due to injury.

I think this team can make the playoffs so long as there aren't any more injuries. This isn't a team that has the depth to keep an even keel while losing a lot of starters.

At some point, the Pats* are going to cool off, although I don't think it will last long. I think we can tuck under them at 10-6 or even 9-7, depending on how the other AFC divisions shake out, but it's going to be a struggle.

I for one will not be wringing my hands over a one point win on the road. I remember the Kelly years (I think) as well as anybody here and they put up some stinkers and still won. They lost a bunch of games too. Not every game is a 3 touchdown blowout. Good teams will win the white knuckle games that the faint of heart can barely watch for fear of losing.

Agree with all this 100%. Anybody ever stop and think that you need to improve as the season progresses. Not a good idea to be peaking right now. The trick is to stay in contention, improve, and be peaking at the end.

Amen. Many is the time I sat at the Ralph and breathed a sigh of relief when we got in FG range, knowing Norwood was automatic. It became a standing joke with us "Oh thank GOD we're in FG range!". Bills in the glory years did lay down some stinkers. Difference is they never lay down and died but usually fought and sometimes it worked out. The first half was lousy, almost like that opening penalty against Easley took all the wind out of their sails. But they hung in. The Bills have losing in their DNA and it's going to take awhile until they have a winning mentality - it's something you have to learn to do. Aside from the cheating, the Pats win because they never doubt they can.