We are not contenders

My preseason prediction for the Bills was the 6th playoff seed and loss in 1st round of the playoffs. That is exactly where they are as of now and I've seen nothing to make me want to change that prediction. They're an above average team, but they aren't running with the elite teams vying for a championship, I wish they were, but they aren't. Those blaming injuries need to look around the league a bit. The Bills aren't out of the ordinary there, it's just more noticeable since they aren't as equipped to overcome significant injuries as some teams are.

I had them 6th and winning a wild-card play-off game (before losing in the divisional round) but that was based on what looks like a flawed prediction of who would be the 3rd seed. If we end up 6th seed I want Indy as the 3rd seed because we would beat them every day of every week they are almost the exact team that this Bills squad is built to beat.

But I agree with you - 6th seed and an early play-off exit remains my prediction. We aren't quite who I thought we were.... defense not quite as stout offense a few more explosive plays... but in terms of record I expected to be 3-2 through 5 weeks although not quite how we got here.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to John

Thanks Captain Obvious

for 1 week (or until the next game)

When the Bills can string together a 3, 4 or 5 game win streak I will start to believe again.

Until that happens they are pretenders.

A five game streak would make us 8-2.....I think that would be a pretty safe bet that we are contenders. I think if we beat Cincy ( a HUGE if) we are 4 and 2 projecting to ten wins is not a bad hope. We lost to two very good teams...(okay okay...one of them is super good...the @#$ patriots.) and beat up on pretty bad teams. I want to see a signature win and Cincy could be the win that tells us we are not pretenders. We have had some bad luck with injuries and pulled the Tennessee game out...TT played like a warrior in the end to pull it out. I just can't see justification for saying we are not contenders. Hell...we are one of six winning teams in the AFC.

A five game streak would make us 8-2.....I think that would be a pretty safe bet that we are contenders. I think if we beat Cincy ( a HUGE if) we are 4 and 2 projecting to ten wins is not a bad hope. We lost to two very good teams...(okay okay...one of them is super good...the @#$ patriots.) and beat up on pretty bad teams. I want to see a signature win and Cincy could be the win that tells us we are not pretenders. We have had some bad luck with injuries and pulled the Tennessee game out...TT played like a warrior in the end to pull it out. I just can't see justification for saying we are not contenders. Hell...we are one of six winning teams in the AFC.

WHEN that happens I will have more confidence. W L W L W expected L is .500.

A win against Cincy is a step in the right direction.

Once bitten (more like a dozen times) always shy until proven otherwise.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Seven after last night.

I am worried about the Jets... their schedule is weak! I look at it and only see maybe 4 games that I give them no chance in. I think we will have to beat them twice,

there are still only 6 AFC teams with winning records In the conference. The Steelers are 1-2 in the AFC.

I had them 6th and winning a wild-card play-off game (before losing in the divisional round) but that was based on what looks like a flawed prediction of who would be the 3rd seed. If we end up 6th seed I want Indy as the 3rd seed because we would beat them every day of every week they are almost the exact team that this Bills squad is built to beat.

But I agree with you - 6th seed and an early play-off exit remains my prediction. We aren't quite who I thought we were.... defense not quite as stout offense a few more explosive plays... but in terms of record I expected to be 3-2 through 5 weeks although not quite how we got here.

I certainly don't think a WC round win is out of the question either, depending upon the opponent. Likewise I wouldn't be surprised by narrowly missing the playoffs either, like by losing a tiebreaker. I'd be very surprised to see them go further than the divisional round or be out of the playoff hunt by week 15 though.

What a fail of a post.

Show me a team who loses its top WR, and all of its RB's and I will show you a team with a losing record...except for the Bills who despite critical injuries to a young offense, that has included 2 of our best OL at times as well, other play makers at WR, and key members of its defense at times are still sitting at 3-2 and could be 5-0 if not for killing themselves with bone head penalties in NE and NYG, not to mention getting 2 touchdowns stolen from us on weak calls against the Giants.

This team not only has the potential to be a contender, but also could be a very dangerous team come playoff time. We have 2 serious issues...too many Penalties (and untimely ones) and injuries. BOTH are very correctable.

Agree with a lot of this. I was talking to a friend (Panthers fan) about how frustrating Sunday was to watch, even though the end made everything okay. His response was that he respected us a lot more as a contender after last week. Here were his main points for talking me off the ledge of disappointment:

- Titans were healthy and coming off their Bye week

- Our offense is expected to lose some production without Sammy, Shady, and Karlos

- As an example, let's take the 5-0 Cincinnati Bengals. Do you think their offense would look the same if AJ Green, Jeremy Hill, and Giovanni Bernard were all sitting on the sidelines?

- Our defense showed its resilience by being out on the field for over 2/3 of the first half and only allowing 3 points despite the Titans having consistently short fields

- While it wasn't pretty, yesterday is pretty much what we expected our team to do coming into the year (Turnover free QB Play, not very good offense, relying on the defense to keep games close)

The offseason was great and we got pumped by all the moves but this team is the same as it always has been; average.

We either have a great defense or a great offense and until we get them both we are going nowhere as todays victory proved that we could barely beat a marginal team.

until we get a QB that can pass better than he can run and greatly improve the offensive line we are going nowhere.

If we had just won like that with mcCoy, Watkins, KW, and several others not sidelined by injury, I'd probably agree with you to a point. But when you look at what Tyrod did with so many weapons out, I'd say let's not jump off the happy wagon just yet. It's 5 games in, there are new schemes on both sides of the ball, and nearly every player with talent on offense has yet to play full games with each other. I still think this could be a pretty good season.

Edited by Homey D. Clown

The team overall is a HUGE disappointment..

There not fun to watch and they look out of synch and the offense is no different overall than the same train wreck we've been watching for way to damn long

I fully expect us to have our hearts ripped out before the end of decemember

Sure hope I'm wrong but I've walked this exact walk too many times now

Man if this team cant make the playoff we never will. We are running out of excuses.

Not even close.

Shady out.

Sammy out.

Rookie QB (in experience anyway)

New HC

New OC

New DC

All new schemes on both sides of the ball.

And no matter what, TBD will always have this one ... horrible refs that always are biased against the Bills.

EDIT: Add TT out

Edited by CodeMonkey

The team overall is a HUGE disappointment..

There not fun to watch and they look out of synch and the offense is no different overall than the same train wreck we've been watching for way to damn long

I fully expect us to have our hearts ripped out before the end of decemember

Sure hope I'm wrong but I've walked this exact walk too many times now

Huge disappointment at 3-2?