Sean Payton Staying with the Saints

@RapSheet

Some insight into the situation surrounding #Saints coach Sean Payton coming up...

#Saints coach Sean Payton's contract has a "change of control" clause, per 3 sources. If Tom Benson is not in charge, he could be free

If Sean Payton wanted to be a coaching free agent after this year, I'm told the #Saints would be inclined to let him out of his contract.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even if Payton wanted a trade, we aren't going to pay a 5 year contract to Rex, and then a top contract to Payton. No owner would do that. We are stuck whether anyone likes it with Rex for a minimum of 3 years. If he doesn't get it done, maybe the Pegulas double dip in paying for a top coach for two years.

Even if Payton wanted a trade, we aren't going to pay a 5 year contract to Rex, and then a top contract to Payton. No owner would do that. We are stuck whether anyone likes it with Rex for a minimum of 3 years. If he doesn't get it done, maybe the Pegulas double dip in paying for a top coach for two years.

My impression is most of the boards curiosity is will he end up in the AFC, and possibly Miami specifically

Edited by NoSaint

• 4 weeks later...

I wonder if a trade of head coaches has ever happened?

Saints trade Peyton to Philly for Chip, for example. Won't happen obviously in that case but I wonder if something like that is even possible, as a way to switch head men and keep both owners from being on the hook for a contract if they fire their guy.

I wonder if a trade of head coaches has ever happened?

Saints trade Peyton to Philly for Chip, for example. Won't happen obviously in that case but I wonder if something like that is even possible, as a way to switch head men and keep both owners from being on the hook for a contract if they fire their guy.

The Dolphins traded with the Colts for Don Shula.

I was thinking more along the lines of something like this:

Eagles owner: I want to fire my guy.

Saint owner: I want to fire my guy too.

Eagles owner: You sure? I like your coach!

Saints owner: I kind of like your coach better.

Eagles owner: Want to swap coaches?

Saints owner: Sure!

Just an example. It would mean not having to pay a guy you fire and not having to go though the whole interview process and compete against other teams. It would also keep your HC from going to a rival.