Karlos Williams in Concussion Protocol Per Doug Whaley

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm genuinely curious how one 'heals' from a concussion and how time off impacts that.

It seems there's recently been some debate on best practices. Guilty of reading just the headline but within the last week or so I saw an article about straight rest actually being considered less than ideal. That said, I don't think banging your head into linebackers and the turf was the better alternative

There are some people with medical backgrounds who regularly post here.. Is it harmful for someone with concussion symptons to fly? Just curious.

People with concussion symptoms really aren't supposed to do much of anything. No TV, no reading, no music, nothing. You're supposed to eliminate as much sensory input as possible. When you start reintroducing activity you're supposed to stop the instant you feel the least bit strange - headaches, dizziness, etc. You have to keep restarting a little at a time until your body stops reacting badly. It can take a really long time.

I'd imagine these guys have baseline testing done so it makes the measurement a little easier. You have to get back to your pre-injury benchmark without feeling symptoms.

For a person who is supposed to limit sensory input 5+ hours of airplane white noise +whatever else is going on, plus the motion of the plane (which makes some non concussed people nauseated), plus the car/bus ride to and from the airport, plus the rapid changes in atmospheric pressure, plus plus plus aren't really good for someone. Not to mention that if you get him there OK then he has some sort of major setback then you have to figure out the plane home. It's not like you can drive in an emergency.

I'm genuinely curious how one 'heals' from a concussion and how time off impacts that.

Yep i am still wondering when the swelling is reduced , to an acceptable limit!! arrghh. not cool

@TheBillsBlogger: A little late but Harvin and Karlos Williams did not travel with the team to London

Harvin is killing me

People with concussion symptoms really aren't supposed to do much of anything. No TV, no reading, no music, nothing. You're supposed to eliminate as much sensory input as possible. When you start reintroducing activity you're supposed to stop the instant you feel the least bit strange - headaches, dizziness, etc. You have to keep restarting a little at a time until your body stops reacting badly. It can take a really long time.

I'd imagine these guys have baseline testing done so it makes the measurement a little easier. You have to get back to your pre-injury benchmark without feeling symptoms.

For a person who is supposed to limit sensory input 5+ hours of airplane white noise +whatever else is going on, plus the motion of the plane (which makes some non concussed people nauseated), plus the car/bus ride to and from the airport, plus the rapid changes in atmospheric pressure, plus plus plus aren't really good for someone. Not to mention that if you get him there OK then he has some sort of major setback then you have to figure out the plane home. It's not like you can drive in an emergency.

Dear Sir, thank you finally for what seems to be a reasonably qualified statement about concussions.

Very helpful post from You.

Thank you kindly for the much needed perspective!

No wonder i am a train wreck.

No one knew that stuff when i was kid getting my head slammed. it was always, a walk it off thing. even when puking after standing up

Thanks for you response. Very helpful.

Another question regarding flying and injuries. If a player has an injury such as a sprained ankle or knee is flying in a pressurized plane presents any additional health risks?

That's what I'd always heard as well...wondering how you feel about the UB Study that discussed aerobic activity to aid concussions?

You've probably read it, but just in case:

http://medicine.buffalo.edu/news_and_events/news.host.html/content/shared/smbs/news/2013/04/aerobic-concussion-2480.detail.html

It took Luke Kuechly three weeks before he was cleared to play. Each person will recover at a different rate.

And every concussion isn't the same. There are different degrees of injury. They usually happen from a hit to the side of the head. The brain gets smashed up against the inside of the skull and can cause all kinds of issues.

If he has a concussion so severe that he's out for 3 weeks I have to think it might be time to call it a career.

if they played in the US this week, he may get cleared in time and play. The London trip makes a huge difference IMO. Edited by YoloinOhio

And every concussion isn't the same. There are different degrees of injury. They usually happen from a hit to the side of the head. The brain gets smashed up against the inside of the skull and can cause all kinds of issues.

Correct. For instance, a concussion for Ted Johnson means practice on Tuesday.

Edited by 4merper4mer