NYT: Insider betting scandal in Fantasy Football

YoloinOhio

You are right for the most part, the guys who do dozens of hours of research and scan all the news sites and such, they win consistently. For me it is a not too expensive hobby that fills the extra time I find on my hands since I retired.

Perhaps, but the TOP TOP player like maxdalury use custom algorithms based on usage rates, touches, past history, etc. He knows that on average he finishes in the top 20 percentile so he bets on every single game he can. 8 out of 10 times you'll lose to him in a head to head. I doubt he does any research on new sites, he just plugs numbers into his algorithms.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A ha! That makes a lot of sense. Big advantage. Nobody monitors these guys anyways, who busted them?

I got the impression the employee posted this information publicly somewhere before the game start times (when players find out) and someone else put two and two together after they realized he had the info before the public and he had cashed a big tournament win. Who, I don't know.

Perhaps, but the TOP TOP player like maxdalury use custom algorithms based on usage rates, touches, past history, etc. He knows that on average he finishes in the top 20 percentile so he bets on every single game he can. 8 out of 10 times you'll lose to him in a head to head. I doubt he does any research on new sites, he just plugs numbers into his algorithms.

Oh I have seen the projection algorithms but although the structure is pure math, not all the settings within it are. These guys tweak the variables for points per touch, game flow multiplier, number of touches etc based on information and analysis. They try to be as objective as possible but there is always some subjectivity to it when things like weather and injuries are involved.

I got the impression the employee posted this information publicly somewhere before the game start times (when players find out) and someone else put two and two together after they realized he had the info before the public and he had cashed a big tournament win. Who, I don't know.

Oh I have seen the projection algorithms but although the structure is pure math, not all the settings within it are. These guys tweak the variables for points per touch, game flow multiplier, number of touches etc based on information and analysis. They try to be as objective as possible but there is always some subjectivity to it when things like weather and injuries are involved.

Gotcha. Didn't know that.

Adam Silver has been talking about legalizing gambling for a while now. The DK and FD marketing blitz has been so strong you have to wonder where this money is coming from. It's just not something I've ever seen venture capital money do. I think the major sports leagues are giving them discounts to promote themselves during commercials.

NHL is going to expand to Vegas soon. Like I said earlier, I think they're just priming us for full-scale legalization. Too much money not to.

This goes back to the problem with online gambling. You take the websites word that is on the up and up. I have resisted the Fan Duels and Draft Kings because how do I know that if I am the top point getter one week someone inside that company doesn't create a dummy winner that beats me by a point? You don't think that will happen? It already did with online poker.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Adam Silver has been talking about legalizing gambling for a while now. The DK and FD marketing blitz has been so strong you have to wonder where this money is coming from. It's just not something I've ever seen venture capital money do. I think the major sports leagues are giving them discounts to promote themselves during commercials.

NHL is going to expand to Vegas soon. Like I said earlier, I think they're just priming us for full-scale legalization. Too much money not to.

Just another example of the failure of prohibition. Edited by joesixpack

This goes back to the problem with online gambling. You take the websites word that is on the up and up. I have resisted the Fan Duels and Draft Kings because how do I know that if I am the top point getter one week someone inside that company creates a dummy winner that beats me by a point? You don't think that will happen? It already did with online poker.

Not that it is completely on the up and up but your scenario doesn't work with fantasy football. Once a game starts you can see the players you are against.

Knowing the percent "used" prior to kickoff is a HUGE advantage and if this is known by employees of the two companies and then they are allowed to play on competing sites is a big no, no for me. Just like any radio contest, employees and family are barred from playing and winning. It does need regulation if it is this wide open, and on both (I play both sites) it does seem like the same guys are winning a good amount of the time.

Tim-

After reading that article color me underwhelmed with the accusations. As the article states it makes sense that the employees are players. People are drawn to what they like. People who live and work fantasy football are likely better than the vast majority of fantasy players.

Knowing what you are doing doesn't make you a cheater. Even with info of the most used players seems somewhat worthless. Any algorithms about touches vs cost per player can be run by anyone.

This seems much ado about nothing to me.

Insert WEO's defense of Kraft here.

And I have considered Professional Fantasy Football as rigged as Professional Wrestling since beginning.

Oh, hey there. Nah, file this under "who cares?". If you are tossing your money to these online companies, you deserve to be taken advantage of.

And you were able to spot this from the beginning? WOW!

Please explain why. I can't think of a good reason (sincerely)

Because if you use a player that is 40% owned versus one that is 4% owned, there are ten times as many people you have to beat with the rest of your lineup if you make the right low player usage selection. And usage rates can be surprising sometimes as the contrarian sentiment is very high in DFS. There are weeks marque players are not very highly owned due to other players favorable matchups or injuries to starters and if you know the week Tom Brady is not very highly owned and play him AND he performs well, you get an advantage. Just knowing who is low usage is not enough, they have to perform as well.