The Chop Block Rule

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hussey was standing at least 10-12 yards behind Tyrod on that play and in the FOX feed you can see his view was shielded by the other Bills lineman. IMO, just too many 'radar' calls today by an inexperienced crew...

If anyone is a football official, what area is the referee supposed to watch on plays?

I ask because in Lacrosse, as the trailing official in 2 man or the single side official in 3 man, when an offensive player takes a shot, this official must watch the shooter (to look for late hits and protect the player).

I was under the impression that the referee watched the quarterback and the other officials the line and such. That being said, why is he watching the line?

Unfortunately, it looked like a good call to me. From what I've seen it definitely looks like it's in the area of the thigh and I'm sure the refs are told that if it's even close to the thigh call it. Can't really dispute that.

I'll admit I missed it but everyone I was watching the game with at the bar made it sound like it was a pretty blatant hold.

No the block was above the waist...how is above the waist at thigh level or below?

I was under the impression that the referee watched the quarterback and the other officials the line and such. That being said, why is he watching the line?

Good question.

Hussey was the guy who threw it--from long distance and with a partially obscured sightline. I believe he was also the guy who threw the ticky tack holding flag on Urbik...

From the NFL rule book:

A chop block is a foul by the offense in which one offensive player (designated as A1 for purposes of this rule) blocks a defensive player in the area of the thigh or lower while another offensive player (A2) occupies that same defensive player in one of the circumstances described in subsections (1) through (10) below.

The penalty on Incognito was not a penalty.

Boderline call. Incognito should have never engaged the defender to begin with let alone with intent to go low on him.

No, he was trying to send the message that he could go low at any time he wanted because there had been some liberties being taken with guys legs shortly before that.

He knew exactly what he was doing and made sure the block was legal but still got a point across.

This league has been chock-full of over-officious jerks for a few years now and it looks like it's finally coming to a head.

bingo! the ref had it in his head that we might retaliate, and made that call on what he thought was gonna happen - not what did happen. same kind of over-reach as an ump that runs a pitcher for throwing inside after a dust-up on the field

We need robot refs. IT WAS NOT A PENALTY! Did ne need to help block him? No. So what?! Not even that close to a chop block. Now you can't block someone in the ribs? Another GAME CHANGING penalty against Buffalo. One of many. This is getting ridiculous. Officiating is a joke. Every call is subjective. Even my giants fans friends admitted the horrible calls today. I told them it's always like this. They didn't believe me. Is it just me??

Edited by Rise Up Lights

We need robot refs. IT WAS NOT A PENALTY! Did ne need to help block him? No. So what?! Not even that close to a chop block. Now you can't block someone in the ribs? Another GAME CHANGING penalty against Buffalo. One of many. This is getting ridiculous. Officiating is a joke. Every call is subjective. Even my giants fans friends admitted the horrible calls today. I told them it's always like this. They didn't believe me. Is it just me??

O-lineman was engaged high, ingognito lunged low, albeit not at the knees but it looked worse at full speed. I really don't have a problem with the call. It is a very dangerous play. I have more of a problem with incognitos dumb decision there.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Yeah, bad call on that as well as the hold on Urbik to negate TT's nice run for a TD.

Still, I can't blame any aspect of this loss on the refs.

We were simply out-coached and outplayed once again.

GO BILLS!!!

No it wasn't and he didn't even attempt to go low.

Not sure what you were watching but the defender was engaged chest high and incognito lunged head first around the waist/groin. Still a dangerous play.

Even though it wasn't at the knee one player was engaged high and the other effectively low. Not surprised it was called actually.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Agreed he didn't NEED to make that block. But is he supposed to look around, make sure Tryod is safe, then just lay off? Get real. He hit the guy in the freakin ribs. I have never seen a chop block get called like. I'd be shocked to hear you have. It wasn't a chop block. What is the argument? That he hit an engaged blocker in the ribs? I don't get it

Not sure what you were watching but the defender was engaged chest high and incognito lunged head first around the waist/groin. Still a dangerous play.

Even though it wasn't at the knee one player was engaged high and the other effectively low. Not surprised it was called actually.

Your assessment is average at best.

Looked to me like Ritchie lunged into his block and stumbled towards the ground. The intent was clean but the result was on the margin. The question I have is why so many borderline calls go against us. Terry needs to talk to the League because the deck seems stacked. Maybe Kim should be on the Competition Committee.

O-lineman was engaged high, ingognito lunged low, albeit not at the knees but it looked worse at full speed. I really don't have a problem with the call. It is a very dangerous play. I have more of a problem with incognitos dumb decision there.

So you consider the ribs low? Was not even close to the knees. Edited by Rise Up Lights

You can blame the refs all you want but did Incognito need to do that? He should never have put the refs in that situation in the first place.

This seems like an odd thing to say. He made a split second move in a football play and made a legitimate block. Got flagged for a legal block, but he's at fault for putting the refs in a position to make a bad call? Is this a real thing?

He went lower than the other OL's engagement point, they'll call that every time. He should know better, and coaches should make sure our players know better.

F that. Why is everyone always making excuses for the refs?

It was a penalty. He was trying to go low.

What are you smoking dude? Yet another lame excuse for bad reffing.

This. X1000.

And he never learns....

True but why do refs get a pass for calling by having thin skin and not making legit calls? They should be held accountable.