Cornelius Bennett - HOF chances

whiteboy

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not HOF worthy and I loved the Biscuit. I certainly think he belongs on the Wall of Fame at the Ralph though. People always talk about the big 4 with the Bills in Kelly, Bruce, Thurman, and Andre but back in their playing days Bennett was always held up there in the same regard with those guys almost as if they were the big 5. I've always found it interesting Cornelius hasn't been given the same kind of hindsight appreciation years later that the other guys got. I think it mainly has to do with not having the longevity here that the others did. There's no denying Biscuit's impact on the Super years however!

I agree with BillsPride 12. I was young during the superbowl years and in my mind Bennett seemed as intregal as any other Bills.

He was 2x defensive player of the year but only 5 times pro bowler so looks like he doesnt have much of a chance.

Biscuit was a very good player but not a HOF player.

I actually thought he should have been better than he was. Very good player but not as dominant as he should hv been especially playing on a defense with Bruce Smith and all the attention he got.

Bennett had HOF talent for sure, but never seemed to have HOF drive like say, Ray Lewis. The guy made amazing plays at times displaying those rare physical gifts. I recall a play in the AFC title game vs KC where Bennett charged into the backfield just a half step from Montana, recognized a screen to Marcus Allen, the chased the play down for a solo tackle for a loss. Incredible. But he would have stretches, games even, where he was next to invisible. That just didn't happen for a guy like Bruce Smith after maybe his rookie year. I think that keeps Bennett out of the hall, but he had the talent to get there.

I loved Bennett, but he is definitely not a Hall of Famer.

Not HOF worthy and I loved the Biscuit. I certainly think he belongs on the Wall of Fame at the Ralph though. People always talk about the big 4 with the Bills in Kelly, Bruce, Thurman, and Andre but back in their playing days Bennett was always held up there in the same regard with those guys almost as if they were the big 5. I've always found it interesting Cornelius hasn't been given the same kind of hindsight appreciation years later that the other guys got. I think it mainly has to do with not having the longevity here that the others did. There's no denying Biscuit's impact on the Super years however!

I agree with this.

He left for free agency, and I don't think he spends much time up here in Buffalo "alumni-ing".

There is no way he is getting into the Hall of Fame.

Yep, and he was a terrific complement to Bruce Smith as a pass rusher because teams had difficulty blocking both. I can tell you this, that after watching him play at Alabama I was so upset that the Colts drafted him #2 overall I wanted to cry!(The Bills were in the same division back then) Apparently Biscuit didn't like the Colts either, and held out. Then I rejoiced like crazy when Bill Polian made the blockbuster trade for him to be a Buffalo Bills!!

The man made an instant impact for the Bills. as Shane Conlan was able to move inside and in a few games after the trade the world saw why the Bills had made that trade. Against the hated Miami Dolphins with a young Dan Marino at QB (who had taken his team to a super bowl just three years earlier), and the Phins had the Marks Bros at WR. The Bills held the Dolphins on defense so well that the Dolphins with Marino at QB NEVER crossed the 50 yard line all game!! Finally later in the game with the score 27-0 Miami benched Marino and QB Don Strock came into the game . Strock drove Miami down to the Bills goal line, and then promptly threw an INT!!

What a great game to witness on such a beautiful autumn day. Even though the team was only 7-8 that year every Bills fans knew they would be a special team in the future. I went and bought my season tickets the next year.

**As much as I like they guy he did have one instance in which he spent time in jail, and if that issue comes up while they are discussing him I kinda doubt he gets in the HoF.

During that time I actually valued Darryl Talley more as a Bill because I thought he was such a great vocal motivator for the team. Biscuit struck me as a more physically talented and gifted athlete, but I always felt Biscuit did less with the gifts he had than Talley who though limited physically in many ways he did more with that those limited gifts than the more speedy others.

Bennett had HOF talent for sure, but never seemed to have HOF drive like say, Ray Lewis. The guy made amazing plays at times displaying those rare physical gifts. I recall a play in the AFC title game vs KC where Bennett charged into the backfield just a half step from Montana, recognized a screen to Marcus Allen, the chased the play down for a solo tackle for a loss. Incredible. But he would have stretches, games even, where he was next to invisible. That just didn't happen for a guy like Bruce Smith after maybe his rookie year. I think that keeps Bennett out of the hall, but he had the talent to get there.

Exactly.

He was a great talent but he lacked the drive and determination to be a great player.

Absolute ZERO chance he gets in the HOF......even without doing the jail time for sexual assault.

I respect the right of people to discuss these topics on this forum but he was a rampant underachiever and underproducer, not a HOF'er.

He basically had one pass rush move.......run 10 yards straight upfield and then try to double back fast enough to get the QB.

Worked initially, but if you don't learn technique you won't sustain as an edge rusher.

If he had worked on his game he could have been a true force because he was basically a full size pass rushing LB with 4.4 speed and tremendous agility.

For his first 3-4 years in the NFL I know a lot of personnel people thought he was the most talented defender in the AFC.

We were always waiting for that breakout year......but it just never happened.

He did a much better job of playing to his ability late in his career from the ILB/MLB position where he could just flow to the football but his prime was a disappointment.

During that time I actually valued Darryl Talley more as a Bill because I thought he was such a great vocal motivator for the team. Biscuit struck me as a more physically talented and gifted athlete, but I always felt Biscuit did less with the gifts he had than Talley who though limited physically in many ways he did more with that those limited gifts than the more speedy others.

I didn't value Tally more per se, I just admired the man for his unsung work in cleaning up and stopping the runs that would get by Smith. Bruce wasn't all that good at stopping the run at first, and Daryl was always there to make the stop.

No question one of my favorite Bills players, and "spider man" never missed a game in his 12 years with Buffalo, he is still the Bills all time leading tackler if I'm not mistaken. A darn shame he probably won't ever be considered for the hall.

I recently saw a documentary on Derrick Thomas and Cornelious was featured often as they were teamates in college.

It got me thinking about if has any chance to make the HOF?

I think people on here are selling him short as far as HOF chances. Will it happen soon? Probably not. But it may happen down the road.

Using PFR Approximate Value and comparing him with other OLBs, both in and out of the HOF, he stacks up pretty well. Biscuit has a total of 121 placing him #22 All-time. And that includes some guys who are debatable as OLB, like Julius Peppers and Lance Briggs. He ranks ahead of several HOFers including Andre Tippett 109, Dave Robinson 103 and Dave Wilcox 91. Among others who are candidates he ranks behind Clay Matthews 137, Isiah Robertson 127 and Kevin Greene 122.

He made 5 Pro Bowls, was a star on a 4 time super bowl and AFC champion. I'm not so sure he has zero chance. He is probably 50/50 to make it somewhere down the road.

Edited by The Thurmanator

I think people on here are selling him short as far as HOF chances. Will it happen soon? Probably not. But it may happen down the road.

Using PFR Approximate Value and comparing him with other OLBs, both in and out of the HOF, he stacks up pretty well. Biscuit has a total of 121 placing him #22 All-time. And that includes some guys who are debatable as OLB, like Julius Peppers and Lance Briggs. He ranks ahead of several HOFers including Andre Tippett 109, Dave Robinson 103 and Dave Wilcox 91. Among others who are candidates he ranks behind Clay Matthews 137, Isiah Robertson 127 and Kevin Greene 122.

He made 5 Pro Bowls, was a star on a 4 time super bowl and AFC champion. I'm not so sure he has zero chance. He is probably 50/50 to make it somewhere down the road.

He also went to a Super Bowl with the Falcons.

I think people are dragging him down a bit. I thought he was incredible, and had a knack for big plays that is rare. To claim he didn't work hard is ridiculous, you don't get named the conference defensive player of the year TWICE without working hard. I think he had nagging injuries that may have effected his play-to-play effectiveness, but would lay it all out in critical situations. That is different than just coasting (to me anyway).

Pretty impressive resume.

I still don't think he has a prayer, especially because there are already so many Bills from that era in already. Ain't happenin'.

Edited by HoF Watkins