Another Mass Shooting!, This Time in Oregon

I dont know if I buy the desensitization part. Look back through history there were times when it was common for many people to regularly hunt and shoot as part of tbeir culture. Years ago when my dad was in school he told me stories that no one would have looked twice if you had your shotgun in your pickup truck parked in thr school parking lot while you were in class.

I've killed thousands of people in gruesome ways in video games, seen thousands of others die in movies, and if I was interested, I could have watched thousands of real deaths on the web. I played the games and if I watched those videos, I would have done so at an emotional distance. When people in the past saw death and violence, it was personal and touched them, making them fear/respect it. So that's the desensitization part just to be clear.

Its a different culture today. Men used to be expected to conduct themselves as gentlemen. Now they are being feminized, portrayed as bumbling idiots and blamed for everything wrong in the country. Thuglife gang culture and self proclaimed victim angry social recluses have become more common. I blame a lot of the victim mentality for people feeling sorry for themselves and blaming others for their short comings and refusng to accept personal responsibility. But the government continues to make it easier and socially acceptable to just expect handouts and blame others when things go wrong. Totally another topic but I am far from being a perfect christian but I believe there is a strong connection that as people turn away from church and church membership falls and the country is more secular extreme acts of violence increase just out of lack of morals and fear of god.

This is all over the place. I'll tackle just the last point. There are more secular cultures with less violence than ours. Churches don't provide morals. Morals provide morals.

Church, however, provides at least some people with the community we all need.

Edited by Observer

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BREAKING NEWS OCT 9 2015, 6:25 AM ET

Gunman Kills 1, Injures 3 at Northern Arizona University: School Officials

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/gunman-kills-1-injures-3-northern-arizona-university-school-officials-n441561

In Chicago a shooting with one dead and 3 wounded isn't breaking news. It might merit an intern squeezing in a paragraph or two between Northern Illinois lacrosse score and Hagar the Horrible

BREAKING NEWS OCT 9 2015, 6:25 AM ET

Gunman Kills 1, Injures 3 at Northern Arizona University: School Officials

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/gunman-kills-1-injures-3-northern-arizona-university-school-officials-n441561

This was not a random act of violence, or a planned massacre.

This was the outcome of a physical confrontation, that may have ended in tragedy. I say "may" because as far as we know, at this point, the shooting could have been justified.

This was not a random act of violence, or a planned massacre.

This was the outcome of a physical confrontation, that may have ended in tragedy. I say "may" because as far as we know, at this point, the shooting could have been justified.

Other than that it's identical.

In Chicago a shooting with one dead and 3 wounded isn't breaking news. It might merit an intern squeezing in a paragraph or two between Northern Illinois lacrosse score and Hagar the Horrible

Good - now we don't have to pay attention to these mass shootings because it also happens in Chicago

You should do a little research and discover how thoroughly wrong that all is.

Get better sources.

I don't have the time to research every item. I'm satisfied with the general concept though because it's simply common sense. Once the masses aren't a threat anymore it's open season. I can't honestly tell you this articles numbers are right or wrong. My sense is they are closer to being correct but perhaps exaggerated a touch. To me it matters not. Once a tyranny gets control lots of bad things happen. I don't have to research that.

I don't have the time to research every item. I'm satisfied with the general concept though because it's simply common sense. Once the masses aren't a threat anymore it's open season. I can't honestly tell you this articles numbers are right or wrong. My sense is they are closer to being correct but perhaps exaggerated a touch. To me it matters not. Once a tyranny gets control lots of bad things happen. I don't have to research that.

Dear native Americans, turn in your weapons and we will take care of you. Signed, US government.

Not exactly the same scenario but similar point.

Good - now we don't have to pay attention to these mass shootings because it also happens in Chicago

You say that like you SoProg nutbags ever care for all the people murdered in Chicago every weekend.

Those lives don't matter to you because they don't allow you to advance your nutbag anti-gun nonsense. In fact, all those Chicago murders do is prove how wrong you will always be on this issue.

Steve Green on “President Nero:”

Maybe Putin will save Assad, maybe he won’t. But people and governments in the Middle East will long remember that Obama’s definition of leadership meant abandoning our allies in Baghdad, showing the back of his hand to our friends in Jerusalem, cozying up to the liars and killers in Tehran, waging an effete air campaign against ISIS, and dithering while Syria descended into an almost unimaginable humanitarian crisis.

In the broader region, Obama’s leadership left Libya in ruins and wide open to ISIS penetration, alienated Egypt, decreased our leverage in Pakistan, and accomplished almost nothing in Afghanistan except to turn it into a safe haven for pederasts.

Obama’s disastrous failure to lead in the Middle East has helped to flood Europe with refugees and potential terrorists, encouraging the rise of Putin-like far-right parties throughout NATO and the EU. Meanwhile, Moscow appears set to flagrantly violate Obama’s New START agreement, building up its arsenal of deployed nuclear warheads above the impending caps. Our own arsenal continues to shrink, already well under the 2018 limits.

However, the president does see an opportunity coming soon to turn all this around, telling Kroft that “my definition of leadership would be leading on climate change, an international accord that potentially we’ll get in Paris.”

Obama fiddled with the thermostat while the world burned.

Read the whole thing.

but for God's sake, please consider Steve Green's "point of view" when you do.............................. :lol:

Edited by B-Man

If only all those people had been carrying guns, and miraculously could have pulled them fast enough, and the added shooting didn't miracously create more collateral damage. Hmmmm....it's sad when the answer to gun violence in US is more guns, given a set of leap of faith assumptions, and no ones listening.

1 killed, 4 wounded in ZombiCon shooting

Melissa Montoya, Ben Brasch and Michael Braun, The (Fort Myers, Fla.) News-Press

32 minutes ago

FORY MYERS, Fla. A shooting left one dead and four others wounded at the ZombiCon festival in downtown Fort Myers on Saturday night, according to Lt. Victor Medico of the Fort Myers Police Department.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/10/18/one-killed-zombicon-shooting/74167508/

Edited by JTSP

If only all those people had been carrying guns, and miraculously could have pulled them fast enough, and the added shooting didn't miracously create more collateral damage. Hmmmm....it's sad when the answer to gun violence in US is more guns, given a set of leap of faith assumptions, and no ones listening.

1 killed, 4 wounded in ZombiCon shooting

Melissa Montoya, Ben Brasch and Michael Braun, The (Fort Myers, Fla.) News-Press

32 minutes ago

FORY MYERS, Fla. A shooting left one dead and four others wounded at the ZombiCon festival in downtown Fort Myers on Saturday night, according to Lt. Victor Medico of the Fort Myers Police Department.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/10/18/one-killed-zombicon-shooting/74167508/

What about the vast majority of handgun owners who never take there gun from their home other than to the range to learn how to better protect themselves and their family. Why should their guns be taken away?

What about the vast majority of handgun owners who never take there gun from their home other than to the range to learn how to better protect themselves and their family. Why should their guns be taken away?

Come on chef lets not let logic ruin a perfectly good left wing paranoid fallacy, it makes it harder to push their deceitful agenda to the public