Garbage Time

I think you are right that BB did not deviate from his game plan but I disagree that he felt it was still a game.

I think his game plan was to run up the score and try and embarrass the Bills. Evidenced by going for it on 4th downs, Brady having 59 pass attempts and only having 10 rushes(end arounds not included).

They were throwing to get first downs, which is how you keep the clock moving.

No mystery there at all.

All I know is if it was the Bills who gave up a lead like that on the road and have it come that close on the final potentially game-tying drive, there would be outrage that it was "Billsy."

Billsy is such a great term. I'm not 100% sure it applies that well in this example however. Billsy would be finding a way to lose, not finding a way to hang on. Seriously, when you boil it down, Billsy is all about losing. Billsy would be having come all the way back, taking the lead, and then losing anyways. For example, the Oilers managed to lose the lead in the comeback game, but then tied it up to force OT.......but still lost. That's Billsy. It may actually be disrespectful to the term to refer to a winning effort as Billsy. (I'm confident you know all this based on your post. I realize you are not saying their giving up the huge lead is actually Billsy, merely that others may suggest that).

Edited by TheJuice

Billsy is such a great term. I'm not 100% sure it applies that well in this example however. Billsy would be finding a way to lose, not finding a way to hang on. Seriously, when you boil it down, Billsy is all about losing. Billsy would be having come all the way back, taking the lead, and then losing anyways. For example, the Oilers managed to lose the lead in the comeback game, but then tied it up to force OT.......but still lost. That's Billsy. It may actually be disrespectful to the term to refer to a winning effort as Billsy. (I'm confident you know all this based on your post. I realize you are not saying their giving up the huge lead is actually Billsy, merely that others may suggest that).

the Billsy-est game this year so far was KC-Denver on TNF. Chefs have game won and just need to kneel it out, and fumble into a Denver TD.

Sorry to bring up New England game one more time, but I am sick of all the references posted in the media about TT's "garbage time" rally. I live in New England and know that many Pats fans were worried he was pulling a "Tom Brady like" rally out of his ###. Anyway, I was excited at the 4 minute mark and even down to the last gasp that we might somehow pull the game out.

"Garbage Time" is more applicable to lazy media reports where they just go to their collection of previous articles and just repeat what they have written before. Not much difference than word padding in old days when writers got paid per word.

every comeback starts with garbage time but if you pull off the win then they don't talk about it. The offense put up 32 points could have been at 37 had then converted the extra points. Its a stat for weak morning show people who can't throw a pillow across the room.

I had to chuckle. well done !!

there is no garbage time in just a heated rivalry between Bill and Rex.

Bill almost outsmarted himself. and gave the Bills a reason to believe in themselves after a brutal couple of quarters.

I don t feel i am reaching for a nugget, a glimmer, as much as that was just what i saw. Proud of our Bills.

the Billsy-est game this year so far was KC-Denver on TNF. Chefs have game won and just need to kneel it out, and fumble into a Denver TD.

Would have knelt to go to OT.What made it the Billy-est game was they were up 14 with 21/2 min in first half and let KC score two quick to goto half time tied. Then up 7 with 21/2 to go in game gave up another 14 to lose. Reeked of a Bills debacle. Still was glad to see it after the gift Bryce gave them last year!

Would have knelt to go to OT.What made it the Billy-est game was they were up 14 with 21/2 min in first half and let KC score two quick to goto half time tied. Then up 7 with 21/2 to go in game gave up another 14 to lose. Reeked of a Bills debacle. Still was glad to see it after the gift Bryce gave them last year!

oh yeah lol. It was Karma for sure for the Chefs from that Bryce brown game.

The film don't lie. I didn't see any let up in defensive pressure by Pats* in the last 12 minutes of the game.

There was no garbage time in this game, the Patriots did not alter their game plan one iota

I have to ask what film you guys were watching? Through the first 3 quarters the Pats brought 5 or more around 40% of the time. They often showed fronts with 5-8 players on the line. Jamie Collins came through the A-gap unblocked about 3 times I think. They had 4 DB's on the field for the majority of the snaps. TT's longest completion through the first 3 quarters was 11 yards.

Contrast that to the final 4 drives, where over 20 plays they brought 5 or more only 3 times (around 15%). They played nickel the majority of the time and it looked like everyone in the secondary took 1-2 steps back. The change in defense was quite blatant, as it should be when you are leading 37-13.

"Garbage time" is this week's trigger phrase for those that want to pretend that we didn't just get our asses kicked.

I have to ask what film you guys were watching? Through the first 3 quarters the Pats brought 5 or more around 40% of the time. They often showed fronts with 5-8 players on the line. Jamie Collins came through the A-gap unblocked about 3 times I think. They had 4 DB's on the field for the majority of the snaps. TT's longest completion through the first 3 quarters was 11 yards.

Contrast that to the final 4 drives, where over 20 plays they brought 5 or more only 3 times (around 15%). They played nickel the majority of the time and it looked like everyone in the secondary took 1-2 steps back. The change in defense was quite blatant, as it should be when you are leading 37-13.

"Garbage time" is this week's trigger phrase for those that want to pretend that we didn't just get our asses kicked.

Yep. "Garbage time" definitely started, but then the Bills took the garbage out and came back to a 5 point game with 4 minutes left.

It was almost a big mistake for the Pats' defense to get ahead of itself.

Sorry to bring up New England game one more time, but I am sick of all the references posted in the media about TT's "garbage time" rally. I live in New England and know that many Pats fans were worried he was pulling a "Tom Brady like" rally out of his ###. Anyway, I was excited at the 4 minute mark and even down to the last gasp that we might somehow pull the game out.

As Bills fans, we have seen way to much of last minute rallies that killed us and a few we still enjoy (Houston playoff game). For those of you who were around in '86 when Kelly first came to the Bills, there were several rallies that fell just short. I'm hoping Tyrod is the start of something like that, but with a little fast forward on the wins while we can afford this defense.

When I say that I don't understand what is meant by "garbage time", this is exactly what I am referring to. It seems to me that the definition of "garbage time" is "points scored that fall short of a W". That makes it garbage time. If it resulted in a win, then it would be a brilliant comeback. If it ends in a turnover or in points for the opponent's offense, then it becomes garbage time.

It was garbage time. We looked like crap we played like crap and they got lucky when NE had a comfortable lead and sat back on it for a while.

Gonna be interesting to see how they play on the road in Miami because if they look like they did against NE I'll never recover from it.

NE was the game that was going to prove to me if things were gonna be different. I take no solace in garbage time.

Forgive me, but I don't understand this outlook. You say it is garbage time however the purpose of doing that is to try to score points and get back in the game, which is exactly what Buffalo did. How can that be considered garbage time?

Forgive me, but I don't understand this outlook. You say it is garbage time however the purpose of doing that is to try to score points and get back in the game, which is exactly what Buffalo did. How can that be considered garbage time?

Yep, this thread is hilarious. Apparently you can come in and out of garbage time all within the same game.

Exactly what I saw as well. Bellyache clearly decided to play 7 or 8 in pass coverage in the 4th quarter, a clear deviation from his earlier schemes. That absence of pressure up the middle allowed Taylor the time needed to make the plays he did. No shame in that, but it wasn't the same D that held us to 59 yards passing through three quarters.

I don't subscribe to the "garbage time" idea because in my book, "garbage time" means the leading team has pulled its starters and is playing substitutes and the Pats**** didn't do that. Regardless, NE**** clearly kicked our ass in that game, regardless of the final score.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

As Bills fans, we have seen way to much of last minute rallies that killed us and a few we still enjoy (Houston playoff game). For those of you who were around in '86 when Kelly first came to the Bills, there were several rallies that fell just short. I'm hoping Tyrod is the start of something like that, but with a little fast forward on the wins while we can afford this defense.

Only brain dead morons would declare a game over at the start of the 4th quarter. I hope Rex laid into them after the game for a piss poor performance all around; however I hope he ended that speech with congratulations and handshakes all around for their perseverance and no-roll-over attitude that they showed in their crib. They almost did pull that one off. This is what great teams do; this is what playoff teams do.

No doubt the pats changed schemes a bit with a large lead that late. Every coaching handbook there is will tell you to. Make them earn it, while using clock...

To that point though, good teams take advantage of that, and the Bills did, big time. Almost snuck out with the win. If Sammy somehow comes up with that catch, and they get a little mojo going.... it could've been one for the ages