The "Pass" was meant for Woods.

D521646

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did he reach the ball? Yes or No?

I'm not sure what your point is. I gather that you're defending Taylor given your identification with Virginia Tech. But I'm not attacking him. I thought he played a fairly decent game. He made some bad throws and made some bad decisions, but he made a lot of good plays too. The pass to Watkins was a bad throw. It happens. Just because a ball hits one's hands doesn't mean it's catchable - if it's off the fingertips and behind a receiver who is also at the top of his vertical, that's not really catchable. Think about it.

I'm not sure what your point is. I gather that you're defending Taylor given your identification with Virginia Tech. But I'm not attacking him. I thought he played a fairly decent game. He made some bad throws and made some bad decisions, but he made a lot of good plays too. The pass to Watkins was a bad throw. It happens. Just because a ball hits one's hands doesn't mean it's catchable - if it's off the fingertips and behind a receiver who is also at the top of his vertical, that's not really catchable. Think about it.

I think you just picked a poor spot to jump in, so I'll recap...

Seriously. He jumped as high as he could & still couldn't reach it.

Define couldn't reach. Obviously not saying it was a good throw, but he could (and did) reach it.

I think it's one thing to reach it with your hands, and another to reach it with the tops of your fingertips. That was at his fingertips. Basically uncatchable.

Did he reach the ball? Yes or No?

Not picking on you Hokie, but I find this whole thing about Sammy should have made that catch kindof funny when I look back at how 2 of our QBs were skewered on here last year for making passes that were caught. I'm specifically thinking of the high pass to Woods vs the Bears and the Sammy catch at the end of the Lions game.

Well, yes, he did actually reach it!

There we go. I know it was a bad throw and would have been a tremendous catch if it were possible at all, but I don' think it needs to be exaggerated to the point where Sammy couldn't even touch it if he jumped as high as he could.

Not picking on you Hokie, but I find this whole thing about Sammy should have made that catch kindof funny when I look back at how 2 of our QBs were skewered on here last year for making passes that were caught. I'm specifically thinking of the high pass to Woods vs the Bears and the Sammy catch at the end of the Lions game.

I have not, nor will I say Sammy should make that catch. It was a poor throw that was too high. I think it was possible to catch, but the chances of it actually happening were very slim in my eyes.

https://twitter.com/YardsPerPass/status/646400236856983553

Woods was not open. Cover 3. CB comes off Woods to Sammy. Perfect throw to Woods would get it done, but tough throw.

Woods was wide open. All of us in our section saw it immediately at the game. We started yelling look at Woods as he hit that seem. He was wide open and he also knew it. He was jumping up and down immediately after the play because he thought the ball was coming to him. It happened almost directly in front of my seats. I was bummed.......I thought he was going to get the ball there. Woods was blowing by that CB that was on Sammy, because that DB was running in a direction that would have left him without a chance to recover to turn and run full speed with Woods. The safety was actually the player trying to recover his ground to get back and cover Woods. He wouldn't have got there in time if a good pass would have been delivered.

Edited by Lv-Bills

Woods was wide open. All of us in our section saw it immediately at the game. We started yelling look at Woods as he hit that seem. He was wide open and he also knew it. He was jumping up and down immediately after the play because he thought the ball was coming to him. It happened almost directly in front of my seats. I was bummed.......I thought he was going to get the ball there. Woods was blowing by that CB that was on Sammy, because that DB was running in a direction that would have left him without a chance to recover. The safety was actually the player trying to recover his ground to cover Woods.

He wasn't wide open if you're seeing the play from Taylor's POV.

Woods isn't looking back for the ball, so at the time that Taylor has to make the throw, he's either (a) throwing into an underneath zone expecting Woods to break off his route (which he didn't do), or (b) trying to throw over the top of the first row of defenders and get the ball down into Woods' hands before the single-high safety closes.

Extremely tight throwing window...Sammy was the #1 option, and the right read. The throw simply needs to come in about a foot lower and it's complete.

Woods was wide open. All of us in our section saw it immediately at the game. We started yelling look at Woods as he hit that seem. He was wide open and he also knew it. He was jumping up and down immediately after the play because he thought the ball was coming to him. It happened almost directly in front of my seats. I was bummed.......I thought he was going to get the ball there. Woods was blowing by that CB that was on Sammy, because that DB was running in a direction that would have left him without a chance to recover to turn and run full speed with Woods. The safety was actually the player trying to recover his ground to get back and cover Woods. He wouldn't have got there in time if a good pass would have been delivered.

Yep that's what we saw too. The safety may have recovered, but not before Woods catches it for a huge gain

I'll say what I've said before. Either the play design or the routes run were bad, because having two receivers in the same passing lane is just stupid.

The whole point is to clear out the boundary corner so that Sammy has room to run the deep dig.

It worked...the throw was too high.

The whole point is to clear out the boundary corner so that Sammy has room to run the deep dig.

It worked...the throw was too high.

My point exactly. The throw was NOT meant for Woods. If he had kept running, it wouldn't even be a question as to who the pass was intended for. Bobby should have been farther outside the numbers.

Almost!

@ben_grimalldo

@JeremyWGR another angle. Sammy got in Woods' way. Would've gone for six.

CPYRc3dWoAI9le_.jpg

https://twitter.com/ben_grimalldo/status/645722785268957184/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

The grassy knoll did it, highest part of the crest in the field detected, allowed Sammy to tip it.

Edited by Mike in Horseheads