You can't treat W2 like the GD Super Bowl...

eball

...last week was our first taste of "bad Rex" -- the guy who let his bravado and hatred of Belichick ultimately cost his team because they got too hyped up and played with no discipline.

We better get used to it for as long as he's our coach.

The penalties and inability to figure out anything during the 2nd and 3rd quarters were frustrating as hell, but I will (because I need to) take solace in the legitimate comeback effort that remarkably had Buffalo in a position to tie that game.

The lesson learned here is that this is a long freaking season, and belittling the defending champs (even if they are cheaters) before you've proven a damn thing is just stupid.

Miami, on the other hand -- well, they just suck. We need a bounce back in a big way.

See, I think it was a legit comeback to. Belichick wanted to hang fitty on Rex, don't tell me they quit on either side of the ball.

Having said that, I have not watched reply yet, so maybe that changes.

Two last points

1) on the Hughes strip sack, when he came free I was hoping he was going to nail Brady from behind and pile drive that sob face first into the ground. Even if that meant no fumble...Brady might still be feeling that hit today. And not that I hope anyone gets hurt, but would have been karma had it happened after the Edelman 4th down pass etc.

2) Does Philbin get fired if he loses on Sunday in a bad way? Not saying the Bills can even win the game...but if they win say 28-7 in a dominating fashion, I can see them jettisoning Philbin quick.

See, I think it was a legit comeback to. Belichick wanted to hang fitty on Rex, don't tell me they quit on either side of the ball.

Two last points

1) on the Hughes strip sack, when he came free I was hoping he was going to nail Brady from behind and pile drive that sob face first into the ground. Even if that meant no fumble...Brady might still be feeling that hit today. And not that I hope anyone gets hurt, but would have been karma had it happened after the Edelman 4th down pass etc.

2) Does Philbin get fired if he loses on Sunday in a bad way? Not saying the Bills can even win the game...but if they win say 28-7 in a dominating fashion, I can see them jettisoning Philbin quick.

I haven't been on the board since Saturday -- are people saying they think the Pats*** quit trying in the 4th quarter? That's ridiculous. It's not in Belichick's DNA to take his foot off the gas -- there is no question he was trying to punish Rex, and the fact the Bills actually made it a game is probably stuck in his craw.

With their opening schedule the Fish needed to be 5-1 at worst after six games, before they play three in a row on the road beginning at NE***. If they lose this one to go 1-2 you'd have to think Philbin is on a short leash, but I don't think they'd fire him before the end of the year after all of those offseason moves.

On the one hand, we lost by only 8 to the SB Champs playing with a HOF QB whose skills were on display. The early 90s Bills suffered some worse losses than this.

On the other hand, Rex is supposed to be a defensive guru and the Pats just hung 40 on us. We had no answers to their offensive game plan despite having a Pro Bowl defensive line.

Edited by hondo in seattle

I'll just say this -- the 1990 Bills went to Miami in W2 and got their asses handed to them. I'm NOT comparing the teams -- merely pointing out that hiccups do occur. The problem with last week's game is that it was so over-hyped. If the Bills had simply "done their jobs" and not gotten caught up in all of the hype maybe some of those penalties aren't committed and it is a different game.

I'll just say this -- the 1990 Bills went to Miami in W2 and got their asses handed to them. I'm NOT comparing the teams -- merely pointing out that hiccups do occur. The problem with last week's game is that it was so over-hyped. If the Bills had simply "done their jobs" and not gotten caught up in all of the hype maybe some of those penalties aren't committed and it is a different game.

agreed. Hopefully they learn from that.

Here's the simple truth:

Week 2 *Patsie's > Bills

by week 11 the Bills need to be better than the *Patsie's. Only 2 games in the books, there is time for improvement. They need to progress and get better every week, limit penalties and be comfortable in the new offensive and defensive schemes. It takes time and it will be ugly at times, but we're close....

Edited by ricojes

The lesson learned here is that this is a long freaking season, and belittling the defending champs (even if they are cheaters) before you've

proven a damn thing is just stupid.

Miami, on the other hand -- well, they just suck.

We need a bounce back in a big way.

And just how did Rex ( or any Bill, for that matter) belittle the Champs? I recall him referring to BB as a " HOF coach " and saying how much respect he has for him , but he doesn't fear him. Not sure where this myth of " trash talk" etc came from, but for some reason some Bills fans are buying it. Problem is it never happened. Could it be that a perennial SB contender is just flat out better than the Bills on pretty much any Sunday? Not a sexy story, but it looked pretty clear, and I doubt the outcome would be different if Rex and all the Bills gave one word answers in interviews.

And just how did Rex ( or any Bill, for that matter) belittle the Champs? I recall him referring to BB as a " HOF coach " and saying how much respect he has for him , but he doesn't fear him. Not sure where this myth of " trash talk" etc came from, but for some reason some Bills fans are buying it. Problem is it never happened. Could it be that a perennial SB contender is just flat out better than the Bills on pretty much any Sunday? Not a sexy story, but it looked pretty clear, and I doubt the outcome would be different if Rex and all the Bills gave one word answers in interviews.

no one belittled anyone from what I recall. Quite the opposite. The only "belittling" I remember actually came week 1. AW said Luck was "just another QB."

A couple Bills said they didn't like NE. That's all I remember. They were confident they could win, but that's not belittling. They have to think they can win any game.

Two last points

all you have to do is make a QB shake his head or get up slow and he's off the field for that series because of the new medical procedures.

I really hope someone on this team (Rex, or a player) can get the team in line. Play with your emotions high, but in check. Play smart, don't draw a bunch of flags. Make sure tackles instead of highlights, etc. I'm not surprised to lose to NE, but I was disappointed in how we went about the week leading up to the game, and then the game itself.

I haven't been on the board since Saturday -- are people saying they think the Pats*** quit trying in the 4th quarter? That's ridiculous. It's not in Belichick's DNA to take his foot off the gas -- there is no question he was trying to punish Rex, and the fact the Bills actually made it a game is probably stuck in his craw.

With their opening schedule the Fish needed to be 5-1 at worst after six games, before they play three in a row on the road beginning at NE***. If they lose this one to go 1-2 you'd have to think Philbin is on a short leash, but I don't think they'd fire him before the end of the year after all of those offseason moves.

The fact that they had their foot on the gas is what let us back in the game. They went for a bomb on 3-1, and missed it, and then Brady fumbled as well... if they were playing conservative, they would have been running the ball, not passing it all the time.

FWIW - On the radio down here, the consensus is the Fins are going to wipe the floor with the Bills. Their logic? They have been playing down to their competition and now that they are home it's a whole different team... I've heard this from 3 different shows.

FWIW - On the radio down here, the consensus is the Fins are going to wipe the floor with the Bills. Their logic? They have been playing down to their competition and now that they are home it's a whole different team... I've heard this from 3 different shows.

i could see them winning as every game is its own matchup week to week. but wiping the floor? I don't see that. As far as playing down to their competition, I heard that too and maybe that's true given their first 2 opponents but how do they know they will play up to their competition as well?

i could see them winning as every game is its own matchup week to week. but wiping the floor? I don't see that. As far as playing down to their competition, I heard that too and maybe that's true given their first 2 opponents but how do they know they will play up to their competition as well?

And there's also the possibility that Washington and Jax are better teams than predicted. Early in the season, hard to tell.