I Miss Jim Schwartz

Yesterday, our defense got annihilated. The Bills were utterly unprepared to face what the Patriots could throw at them yesterday.

Obviously, the result against the Colts for the defense was good but my eye test on that day caused me some concern as well. Early in the game (Colts game) we were blitzing the house on every play and you could just see places all over the field where we could get gashed. Luck (not the player) was a significant factor in week 1 in our defense having success. Things easily could have gone the other way early and the game would have been very different.

Yesterday, obviously was pathetic.

Schwartz knew how to limit elite offenses with our personnel. He knew he didn't have to blitz like crazy and he knew to keep the back end (secondary) protected.

When I saw the stats yesterday on Rex Ryan's defenses against Brady, I was very disappointed. 25 TDs to 3 INTs. Ouch.

I love what Rex has brought to the Bills. I am a Rex supporter. However, what I've seen so far out of this very talented defense has me missing Schwartz's scheme.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Schwartz (EDIT: was) in such high demand that he's now working for the league assisting officials this season.

The Bills screwed him over though didn't they? Refused him permission to interview for two DC openings then released him after those spots were filled. An attempt to paint a picture where there was no market for Jim Schwartz is disingenuous.

If Schwartz wants a DC job next year he will get one.

The Bills screwed him over though didn't they? Refused him permission to interview for two DC openings then released him after those spots were filled. An attempt to paint a picture where there was no market for Jim Schwartz is disingenuous.

If Schwartz wants a DC job next year he will get one.

they refused permission while they were still in the process of interviewing HCs. He was under contract and they could have hired an offensive HC, in which case he would still be here. That was the correct thing to do for the team.

They also gave him the option of staying on staff after rex was hired, and he chose not to.

Then, they technically "terminated" him instead of showing him leaving on his own so that he still got all his remaining contract.

After all that, there were still DC openings left for him to be interviewed for and he or his agent seemed to indicate he was going to take the year off and collect his Bills paycheck.

No, they didn't screw him IMO.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I miss that Schwartz's D allowed our front four to do what they do best. They rushed the pasher effectively. In both Pettine and Rex's defense I've seen Jerry Hughes running wildly in coverage. We don't need to move around so much pre-snap. The little delay it causes the line makes a difference against a guy like Brady. But also the lack of press coverage played into it. Either way, I just don't want Rex to scheme so hard it has an inverse effect. But I generally trust him.

they refused permission while they were still in the process of interviewing HCs. He was under contract and they could have hired an offensive HC, in which case he would still be here. That was the correct thing to do for the team.

They also gave him the option of staying on staff after rex was hired, and he chose not to.

Then, they technically "terminated" him instead of showing him leaving on his own so that he still got all his remaining contract.

After all that, there were still DC openings left for him to be interviewed for and he or his agent seemed to indicate he was going to take the year off and collect his Bills paycheck.

No, they didn't screw him IMO.

Okay screw him was maybe the wrong word.... but they didn't leave him in the best situation and I am not criticising them for that - after all they should only care about the best interests of this team not anything else.

I don't believe he was offered the chance to stay. That has never been confirmed. There were rumours swirling that the team were keen to keep him involved but I also heard that Rex was adamant that Thurman was his DC.