A Few Thoughts About The Game, in no particular order.....

Bill from NYC

Nobody is putting the loss on Gilmore, but like his teammates, he had a bad game.

In the first half, It was so clear Gronk was gonna get the TD. Why not call a Timeout there if you see your secondary having communication issues as to who covers who? Instead, Gronk scores UNTOUCHED.

Then on the 4rth and 1 to ice the game, Gilmore got burnt bad again. Luckily Brady overthrew the wide open player.

I liked the zip that Taylor has on his balls. I just wish he would release the ball a little faster.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nobody is putting the loss on Gilmore, but like his teammates, he had a bad game.

In the first half, It was so clear Gronk was gonna get the TD. Why not call a Timeout there if you see your secondary having communication issues as to who covers who? Instead, Gronk scores UNTOUCHED.

Then on the 4rth and 1 to ice the game, Gilmore got burnt bad again. Luckily Brady overthrew the wide open player.

I liked the zip that Taylor has on his balls. I just wish he would release the ball a little faster.

What are you talking about?

Tyrod took the check down too often. There were open receivers but he was afraid to throw it into coverage areas. He drifted into pressure. He lacked clock urgency and had the receivers lined up incorrectly on multiple occasions. His TD pass to Woods probably should've been intercepted. I wasn't thrilled with his performance at all.

I couldn't tell on TV how often there were open receivers but it seemed to me Taylor held the ball way too long all day. He was checking down even when the Pats were crowding the LOS, and his downfield throws were not impressive. The two picks were on him, not the WRs.

I'm certainly not saying they should throw in the towel on a guy after his second start, but I'm missing all the Taylor love this morning. He has a long way to go IMO.

I couldn't tell on TV how often there were open receivers but it seemed to me Taylor held the ball way too long all day. He was checking down even when the Pats were crowding the LOS, and his downfield throws were not impressive. The two picks were on him, not the WRs.

I'm certainly not saying they should throw in the towel on a guy after his second start, but I'm missing all the Taylor love this morning. He has a long way to go IMO.

I was at the game and had a good view - there were numerous times when receivers came open in Taylor's field of vision and he hesitated and waited for the check down.

I was at the game and had a good view - there were numerous times when receivers came open in Taylor's field of vision and he hesitated and waited for the check down.

Lets hope this is a "having a bad day at the office" thing and not a recurrent one.

I definitely think after the pressure NE got in the 1st quarter that Tyrod started taking his eyes down earlier when he felt pressure instead of keeping them downfield. We needed to run some plays that had quick reads and easy completions to build some confidence back (like the start of the Indy game) instead of asking him to be Brady and read the entire field while under pressure.

Yeah John, I am not getting why people are upset wrt Tyrod.

As I said, I would like to see him on a few more called running plays. I get the risk, but it might also make his job easier by forcing defenses to account for this.

I thought that there were 2 stretches of game play yesterday--from mid 1st quarter to mid 2nd quarter, and most of the 3rd quarter--in which Taylor looked a bit lost out there. He rallied, which is encouraging, but I do think that he played a bit too conservatively and also appeared not to see Clay open down the seam a few times.

Nothing particularly damning as far as I'm concerned, but certainly some things that he needs to improve upon IMO.

He allowed 2 completions in 59 pass attempts.

He wasn't even the guy in coverage on the 4th-and-1.

I haven't read through all of the comments in this thread, but my thoughts can be boiled down to the following:

1 - For all of the color commentary on how good this defense was supposed to be, it didn't show yesterday. Is it just me or did it seem like the Bills were sending just 3 guys almost all day? I'm not sure there was even physical contact with Brady outside of the two coverage sacks they had.

2 - While his stat line looked OK (23/30) as a passer, 3 turnovers is not acceptable. I'll remind everyone that when you're -1 in turnovers that as a team you lose 90% of the time. 3 Turnovers were 100% on Tyrod.

3 - Also on Tyrod is 8 sacks. Perhaps not all of them, but most of them. He lingered on many occasions for far too long in the pocket and just didn't see receivers that were open.

4 - The offensive play calling was atrocious. I watched the Patriots put 8 or 9 guys in the box over and over again, and the play call was still "run middle". Where were the throws over the top? Why did they pay so much for Charles Clay if they were going to use him so much more like they did Scott Chandler?

5 - 37-13. That's the score that everyone should be focused on. The final score is nice and all to say that they were within a touchdown, but they really were not. It's akin to looking at the score last week at 27-14 and saying it was "close one". The reality in both cases is that there was a 24 point lead, at which point the game was basically already over.

6 - A loss at Miami next week will mean that the season is essentially over. You can say that it's premature, but I really don't think so. It's early in the season, but it's no less of a statement game than this one should have been. Everyone had the Bills as the third best team in the AFC East behind the cheaters and the Dolphins. To start off 1-2 plays right into that expectation. I don't care if they win the next 5 after that in a row. They won't of course, but the fish are a must win at this point.

Yeah John, I am not getting why people are upset wrt Tyrod.

As I said, I would like to see him on a few more called running plays. I get the risk, but it might also make his job easier by forcing defenses to account for this.

Please stop it. Stop it! Stop it right now! I don't mind him running when receivers are covered and the field is open in front of him. I don't want him running on designed plays. It is a tantalizing thought but the risks are too great for this slighltly built qb. Even if he is successful on four consecutive running plays, on the fifth he could get battered.

We have found a qb who is mobile, smart and throws well. Why take needless risks? It's not worth it. As it stands TT is very judicious in deciding when to take off and when not to. I don't want to plant the notion that he needs to run more. He exhibits good judgment as it is.

This organization needs to find out if TT is the long term answer at qb. If he gets hurt on a designed running play his injury will set this franchise back. So please stop with your reckless recommendation for this diminutive qb to run more. He is an absolutely critical player who can lead this ramshackle franchise into becoming a respectable team.

I implore you to control your passions and be more cautious. Without a doubt the long term interest overrides the short term interest. Most often steady money outlasts quick money. Trust me, I will not lead you astray. :thumbsup:

Edited by JohnC

I haven't read through all of the comments in this thread, but my thoughts can be boiled down to the following:

1 - For all of the color commentary on how good this defense was supposed to be, it didn't show yesterday. Is it just me or did it seem like the Bills were sending just 3 guys almost all day? I'm not sure there was even physical contact with Brady outside of the two coverage sacks they had.

2 - While his stat line looked OK (23/30) as a passer, 3 turnovers is not acceptable. I'll remind everyone that when you're -1 in turnovers that as a team you lose 90% of the time. 3 Turnovers were 100% on Tyrod.

3 - Also on Tyrod is 8 sacks. Perhaps not all of them, but most of them. He lingered on many occasions for far too long in the pocket and just didn't see receivers that were open.

4 - The offensive play calling was atrocious. I watched the Patriots put 8 or 9 guys in the box over and over again, and the play call was still "run middle". Where were the throws over the top? Why did they pay so much for Charles Clay if they were going to use him so much more like they did Scott Chandler?

1) For a creative mastermind, Ryan was very vainilla with his gameplan and at times not very smart. I thought he needed to mix things up, make Brady think if the blitz is coming next or not. I know Brady got rid of the ball quickly but we didn't adjust to that either by pressing some of those little guys outside.

2) It becomes unacceptable when it's a recurrent thing. Many QBs have bad days with turnovers but the key here is that it doesn't become a trend, like with FItz interceptions, where you knew he always had one in him every game. The sample size is small so we can't hit the panic button yet. The passes on this ints were high passes and he should be held accountable for them, though.

3) Someone asked yesterday if TT stands for Trentative Two, which was funny but it wasn't as much fun seeing TT hesitate and not know what to do with the football at times. We shall see if this continues when other teams dare him to beat them with his arm.

4) "The starting QB will also be defined by how well he puts the offense in good situations with run and pass checks." This was Roman in one interview during TC and the QB battle. I have to assume TT has the liberty to call audibles but maybe because of his inexperience Roman and Rex have a short leash for the meantime.

I thought that there were 2 stretches of game play yesterday--from mid 1st quarter to mid 2nd quarter, and most of the 3rd quarter--in which Taylor looked a bit lost out there. He rallied, which is encouraging, but I do think that he played a bit too conservatively and also appeared not to see Clay open down the seam a few times.

Nothing particularly damning as far as I'm concerned, but certainly some things that he needs to improve upon IMO.

He allowed 2 completions in 59 pass attempts.

He wasn't even the guy in coverage on the 4th-and-1.

I just rewatched the play. It was him on coverage.

1) For a creative mastermind, Ryan was very vainilla with his gameplan and at times not very smart. I thought he needed to mix things up, make Brady think if the blitz is coming next or not. I know Brady got rid of the ball quickly but we didn't adjust to that either by pressing some of those little guys outside.

2) It becomes unacceptable when it's a recurrent thing. Many QBs have bad days with turnovers but the key here is that it doesn't become a trend, like with FItz interceptions, where you knew he always had one in him every game. The sample size is small so we can't hit the panic button yet. The passes on this ints were high passes and he should be held accountable for them, though.

3) Someone asked yesterday if TT stands for Trentative Two, which was funny but it wasn't as much fun seeing TT hesitate and not know what to do with the football at times. We shall see if this continues when other teams dare him to beat them with his arm.

4) "The starting QB will also be defined by how well he puts the offense in good situations with run and pass checks." This was Roman in one interview during TC and the QB battle. I have to assume TT has the liberty to call audibles but maybe because of his inexperience Roman and Rex have a short leash for the meantime.

3) he's not tentative with throws over the middle, not in the sense of being overly cautious. Intuitively he knows its a weakness

3) he's not tentative with throws over the middle, not in the sense of being overly cautious. Intuitively he knows its a weakness

I agree and was the same problem Flutie had when he was the QB and had to face a BB led defense. I know it's something he will never get better at (getting taller) but at times yesterday he did some exra patting of the ball that we didn't see in previous games of him.

Good post. I generally agree. His three picks all sailed well high of the target.

Having said that, the Bills will score more points with him in there than in the past. And also, it's worth noting that he has completed 76 percent of his passes and is averaging 8.9 ypa. Even yesterday, he averaged over 8 ypa. That's really good.

Good post. I generally agree. His three picks all sailed well high of the target.

Having said that, the Bills will score more points with him in there than in the past. And also, it's worth noting that he has completed 76 percent of his passes and is averaging 8.9 ypa. Even yesterday, he averaged over 8 ypa. That's really good.

It is good - but a lot of that was via YAC.