A Few Thoughts About The Game, in no particular order.....

Bill from NYC

Tyrods not seeing over the middle from the pocket. And not just passing lanes but rushing lanes too. He's better out of the pocket because he doesn't have to try and look past his blockers.

Is it against the rules to install a periscope in his helmet?

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our collective talent level on defense (in my opinion and yours) is better. However, there is no better defensive mind in the game than BB. I was listening to a radio sports show and the analyst brought up the issue that there is no better HC/DC who game plans better for individual games.

Our OL is porous and ineffectual in both run blocking and pass blocking. For the most part he took advantage of our weakness with minimal defensive stunts. There were few stunts coming from the players behind the DL. There was an efficiency with less defensive player movement to their defense in their game plan than with our more varied defensive schemes.

It's not unreasonable to say that our defensive backfield is staffed with more talented defenders. They had a major turnover in their backfield this offseason. They certainly don't have a CB as good as Gilmore. You can't be a dope and play for the Pats. Their players, mostly falling within the category of solid, play their roles and stay within their roles. They are foundamentally sound. Their coaching staff would not tolerate out of control behavior on the field as exhibited by Aaron Williams who went ballistic over a call.

The Pats certainly have a talented team. But the hallmark for that team is intelligence. While our HC was huffing and puffing and putting on a demonstration that lacked maturity their HC was humorlessly preparing to beat the next team in line.

this

The other thing to add on BB is that if he finds something you struggle against he keeps doing it until you show you can stop it. At the moment he doesn't think the Bills can stop his short passing game with the odd longer ball. If people think back a couple of years Gailey's last and Marrone's first we couldn't stop them running. So they would play us Brady would throw 20 balls maximum and Blount and or Ridley would gash us pounding the ball all day.

Last year in the first meeting the Bills stopped the run most of the first half. Second half in that game the Pats came out and played the same short passing game they played yesterday occasionally hitting Gronk up the seam. It was no surprise to me that they came straight out throwing on Sunday or that they stuck to that even when in front. He is going to play us that way until we show we can stop it. Better have a plan by the time we get to Foxbrough.

The thing about Ryan's boasting is that I don't think it had any effect on the way the Patriots played, I don't think it made them want to win any more than they would normally. It didn't compel them to be more focused. The team it effects is his own. The Head Coach performing for the media/fans during the week, sends a message to the team that showing bravado has some kind of relevance...it doesn't. Keep your head in the game, not on impressing the media/fans.

I agree with you. The HC sets the tone for the team. If he is a braggart and a showman then it isn't surprising that an atmosphere of maturity, seriouslness and control isn't always prevalent. As you smartly observed the conduct and demeanor of the HC had no impact on the opposition so much as it did with his own team.

Edited by JohnC