CTE found in 87 of 91 players autopsied

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had several discussions over the years with former players about CTE.

My favorite was from a player who explained that 'playing football is a decision' and that the decision involves 'putting your whole body on the line to play.'

Do I see the game changing? Yes.

I can see further precautions and more concussion protocols put in place.

Majorly, I do see the NFL righting the course by providing health insurance for veterans. However, I don't see this coming in the Roger era.

The NFL, a 4 billion dollar industry, of which could project close to 5 billion by 2020.

Edited by KollegeStudnet

Recently, I've been trying to think of any quarterbacks who seem to have these problems, and can't come up with any.

Wait, I actually just thought of one - Erik Kramer. He just recently shot himself in a suicide attempt.

But, there have been a number who had to retire from too many concussions who seem to have done really well in post football life - Roger Staubach, Troy Aikman, Steve Young.

Even Jim Kelly seemed to have a lot during his career, though that's not what he retired from.

Recently, I've been trying to think of any quarterbacks who seem to have these problems, and can't come up with any.

Wait, I actually just thought of one - Erik Kramer. He just recently shot himself in a suicide attempt.

But, there have been a number who had to retire from too many concussions who seem to have done really well in post football life - Roger Staubach, Troy Aikman, Steve Young.

Even Jim Kelly seemed to have a lot during his career, though that's not what he retired from.

Kelly was carted off the field with a concussion ih his last game. There's certainly a good argument to be made that it contributed to his retirement.

Kelly was carted off the field with a concussion ih his last game. There's certainly a good argument to be made that it contributed to his retirement.

Then add him to the list. Why is it the QBs who had to retire from concussions seem to be fine?

Jim McMahon has talked about having symptoms.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2014-06-17/sports/chi-jim-mcmahon-dementia-20140617_1_suicidal-thoughts-former-nfl-players-early-onset-dementia

Why is it the QBs who had to retire from concussions seem to be fine?

Maybe because a handful of instances of acute trauma are actually less severe than constant sub-concussive trauma. Who knows? There's a hell of a lot of research that still needs doing.

Oh yeah, I did forget about him.

Maybe because a handful of instances of acute trauma are actually less severe than constant sub-concussive trauma. Who knows? There's a hell of a lot of research that still needs doing.

I thought about that, and I think that has a good chance of being the reason.

Kevin Kolb has talked about having serious problems since playing.

Kosar seems a likely candidate.

Hooray for Big Brother telling us how to live! :thumbsup:

Most of us don't care what adults do with their heads--but I certainly care about kids who bash their skulls around.

This study has a lot of problems but I don't think anyone will be shocked when a better study concludes that football players are more prone to CTE than non-players...and football players who only played to age 18 are also more prone. And it's going to be that later study that would spell an end to football.

We're counting down the days until kids won't be playing football, and likely with good reason.

Edited by Observer

As a pathologic diagnosis, finding evidence of brain trauma ("CTE") in guys who spent decades playing football isn't newsworthy.

The only interesting question to answer is what degree of barin pathology causes clinical CTE. It should be safe to assume that the overwhelming majority of NFL players would have findings of trauma in their post mortem bain sections, yet it seems pretty clear relatively very few of them go on to suffer from this constellation of symptoms and psych diseases.

In other words, what it the significance of these path findings and what good is this information ("they all have it")? Maybe it helps guys decide whether they will continue to play? Parents to keep kids from playing?

Yes, exactly. CTE is not about number of known, diagnosed concussions. It's about repeated, relatively small trauma.

But it's not so simple as "everyone who played OL or DL will get this". It may have a lot to do with an individual players style of play and also with how long they played and whether there are confounding factors (genetics, steroids, alcohol or drug use)

Oh yeah, I did forget about him.

I thought about that, and I think that has a good chance of being the reason.

Experts so far agree that it is not identifyable concussions, but more like death from a thousand blows to the brain which have a cumulative, not abupt effect. This makes the NFL's "concussion protocol" a bit of a show.

Football is a violent game. It's not surprising to hear that older players are having issues with CTE. Hopefully more players get access to various levels of treatment and they get out of the game without playing those last couple of years where extensive damage can occur. I remember listening to an interview with Kyle Turley talking about medical Marijuana helping out a lot of former players dealing with the pain of playing and with CTE symptoms. They also said other methods of treatment are becoming more available which is good, however the funding for former players treatments aren't at the levels where they should be.

The problem is that the damage is done way before the end of their careers.