26CornerBlitz

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THN - Top 30 draft rankings for 2016: Matthews leads the pack

By: Ryan Kennedy on October 30, 2015

Auston-Matthews-ZSC-640x426.jpg

It’s about that time, folks. What follows is my first take on the 2016 draft class, one of course highlighted by American center Auston Matthews. The incredibly talented pivot is currently trailblazing a path in Switzerland (and may be on the shelf for the short-term, but no matter) and he is at the top of the pile. But there are more top talents available, including my No. 2 selection, who is also seen as a sure-fire NHLer, who in another year could have been first overall himself.

Since the season is so young, expect this ranking to change, perhaps radically, by the time my next installment comes out after the world juniors. By then, scouts will have a better handle on the field and the resulting input will paint a more specific picture. Let’s get to the rankings:

Fun team -- 3-3 over their last six now and they are really looking comfortable in Bylsma's system. ROR is turning up the heat, and Eichel's on about a 30-goal pace.

Would really like to see the "full" team (Bogo, Kane, Lehner) out there...

Fun team -- 3-3 over their last six now and they are really looking comfortable in Bylsma's system. ROR is turning up the heat, and Eichel's on about a 30-goal pace.

Would really like to see the "full" team (Bogo, Kane, Lehner) out there...

The difference over one offseason is obviously dramatic. If we can get to .500 through 20 games we can definitely contend for a playoff spot. There are obviously still some holes on the back end but as you said, we're embracing the system and playing really good hockey most of the time.

I felt the Sabres overpaid in most of their recent moves. I have to say though, the current team is soooo much more fun to watch. Could be I was wrong, as Kane and O'Reilly, along with Eichel, have been the sparkplugs.

Individually they are getting better and as a team, they are working together better. They are young and improving, a great combo for your team. Occasionally they seem to lose confidence, as all young players seem to do. The upside of that is the fun watching the light click back on

don't we need other positions, what about wingers and defense, a top goalie would be cool too (unless one of these guys pans out)

Top goalies don't come from the draft. Generally goalies take a long time to develop. The NHL draft isn't like the NFL draft. It's pretty much accepted that you don't take a goalie in the first round.

Top goalies don't come from the draft. Generally goalies take a long time to develop. The NHL draft isn't like the NFL draft. It's pretty much accepted that you don't take a goalie in the first round.

That's true the carey price top goalie pick is the exception not norm. Its common to snag a guy in 54th found let him develop for 3 to 5 year's and he's a starter