Sammy - Time for this dude to start playing ball.

jumbalaya

Yes, at the game.

I wouldn't say that I spend the whole of every offensive drive watching Sammy, but I really like the way he plays, so I iso on him a fair amount...maybe 1/3 of the plays.

What was interesting after watching the first half of All-22 is that it didn't appear that Sammy was TT's primary read in most of the passing plays.

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What was interesting after watching the first half of All-22 is that it didn't appear that Sammy was TT's primary read in most of the passing plays.

Indeed...that's frustrating to me. I know V. Davis is a good player, and he did a nice job on Sammy for a good portion of the day (even if he did have safety help a lot of the time). I still saw a good 10-12 times that Sammy was clearly open, and the read never made it to him.

I'm not going to get too wound up about it, because the game plan worked for much of the day. I do want to see him targeted more often though.

Indeed...that's frustrating to me. I know V. Davis is a good player, and he did a nice job on Sammy for a good portion of the day (even if he did have safety help a lot of the time). I still saw a good 10-12 times that Sammy was clearly open, and the read never made it to him.

I'm not going to get too wound up about it, because the game plan worked for much of the day. I do want to see him targeted more often though.

I think that's pretty on par with my mood on this. Roll in a comment on working to create matchups and space for him and it's spot on my take.

Stop your overexaggerating. It was only 7 first round picks and you know it.

I guess that depends upon your definition of "pretty good". 18th in the league in yds, 24th in the league in NY/A.

Would that be "pretty good" if we did that this year?

That was with 4 games of EJ. Yeah, we were average. Pretty good for Buffalo.

Thanks Mark as that statement by pundits has driven me nuts.

We basically gave up this year's 1st and a 4th to get I believe the best WR last year, and over the next decade will prove that he was worth it. Don't forget guys he was hurt three times last year.

Give it time. Everyone wants to go bananas over one game, and we won convincingly. He'll do the acrobatic stuff like he did last year with one handed catches and so on. It's not Madden.

We will win in different ways each week we win.

If Sammy was a bust, how many picks would we say were wasted? Two 1's and a 4th, that's his total price.

If Sammy was a bust, how many picks would we say were wasted? Two 1's and a 4th, that's his total price.

The bills "gave up" a 9th overall pick in the 1st round as well as a 2015 1st and 4th rounder. That equals 2 first round picks and a 4th. Total of 3 draft picks.

In return the Bills get the No. 4 overall which equals sammy watkins.

Total cost of drafting Sammy watkins is 2 first round picks and a 4th.

So yes you are correct two 1's and a 4th is his total price and the people that say the bills didn't "give up" 3 picks for sammy watkins is also wrong.

I can't believe people still can't comprehend this.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Some of you are right: Antonio brown, Demaryious, Julio, Dez, OBJ, Calvin, Jordy always seem to catch at least 6 balls a game.

Who are the QBs throwing them the ball? Not Tyrod Taylor. Not Kyle Orton. Locked in and potential hall of fame QBs. Taylor shouldn't be forcing the ball into double coverage. If Sammy switched spots with any of those WRs he'd be getting those catches as well.

I think you are on the right track here. It was stated that Eric Moulds blew-up in year three, true, but that had as much to do with Flutie being the QB as it did with moulds. Flutie, for all of his short comings (pun intended) had a true QB mentality and would (gamble) throw iffy balls to receivers and trust that they would make a play. This is why guys like OBJ, AJ Green and Antonio Brown become so great because their QBs give them the chance to make plays. This is my perception of the term "throwing guys open"

While i can't say for sure that Sammy is or isn't that caliber of player, i do know he doesn't often get the chance to make plays.

I think you are on the right track here. It was stated that Eric Moulds blew-up in year three, true, but that had as much to do with Flutie being the QB as it did with moulds. Flutie, for all of his short comings (pun intended) had a true QB mentality and would (gamble) throw iffy balls to receivers and trust that they would make a play. This is why guys like OBJ, AJ Green and Antonio Brown become so great because their QBs give them the chance to make plays. This is my perception of the term "throwing guys open"

While i can't say for sure that Sammy is or isn't that caliber of player, i do know he doesn't often get the chance to make plays.

Yes, very good points here.

The bills "gave up" a 9th overall pick in the 1st round as well as a 2015 1st and 4th rounder. That equals 2 first round picks and a 4th. Total of 3 draft picks.

In return the Bills get the No. 4 overall which equals sammy watkins.

Total cost of drafting Sammy watkins is 2 first round picks and a 4th.

So yes you are correct two 1's and a 4th is his total price and the people that say the bills didn't "give up" 3 picks for sammy watkins is also wrong.

I can't believe people still can't comprehend this.

normal cost is one pick...we had to give two additional picks. So he cost us TWO ADDITIONAL PICKS.

This thread is becoming much like "Who's on first"???

Playing devil's advocate here, then why go and trade up for Sammy if this was going to be how you run your system...the better pick would have been the best OL available or trading out for other talent. I like Sammy but agree that the best WRs in the game find ways. Its week 1 and I am not panicking but I bet Sammy ain't happy...

well then you obviously don't follow this team because they asked him about it after the game and he said he doesn't care as long as they are winning the game. But hey, armchair players/gms/owners always know more then the players themselves

The Bills didn't have to throw to watkins while he was covered by one of the better CB's in the league because they were successful throwing to his teammates. I'm waiting for the next win where Harvin gets 3 looks and fans here will be throwing tantrums again asking why we obtained someone like Harvin if we aren't going to use him!

Watkins hasn't been a bust, it's not like they are throwing the ball to him and he can't catch the throws, they just have others who are making the easier catches taking the pressure off an inexperienced QB from having to force throws in to Watkins. Other top WRs get those throws now that they are established and because the team needs to get the ball to them cause they don't have another reliable option

In the end - the comments of the great WR's are always open is the right one. Frankly, while Sammy passes the eyeball test, he isn't passing the game day test. Remember, guys like Aaron Mayben, Ryan Leaf and Erik Flowers pass the eyeball test. I am not saying Sammy is a bust, but I am starting to think he's not the "generational" player he was sold to be.... Its clear the coaching staff thinks Harvin is the playmaker on offense, not Sammy.

well then you obviously don't follow this team because they asked him about it after the game and he said he doesn't care as long as they are winning the game.

so if we are losing we should start forcing it to him? ive heard a few folks parrot that quote, but i think it echoes the sentiment that even if he wasnt needed last week he too believes he gives them the best shot to win.

I feel like saying folks are in the ledge is pretty over the top.

Really? Considering multiple threads, shout box whining, etc etc all dedicated to the crisis of Sammy having one target when we just man handled and beat down one of top offenses and teams in the NFL who are expected to compete for a SB. And we did this with all our top WR getting no work with our new QB really, without one of our best, if not best player, Dareus and our starting corner.

But over and over again its about Sammy and his no catch performance.

People need to realize, we are a run oriented team with a butt load of talent at all the skill positions. Everyone can't have a big game every week. When Sammy has one, odds are Clay, Woods, and Harvin probably wont be having one. Last week, Harvin made a huge play off a great pass. Clay made some big catches. McCoy made some big catches. Karlos made some big runs. Taylor made some big plays.

So seriously, who the hell cares that Watkins didn't? We looked great and its logical to expect that as the starting unit finally gets meaningful reps and game time together will only improve. I don't understand all the crying, this isn't Fantasy Football (in which I am a self admitted junkie lol), this is the NFL and what matters is winning...and we won, convincingly. REJOICE

GO BILLS, F THE PATS!

Guys here is what happened...

The Bills jumped out on the Colts so there was no need to dive deep into the playbook.

Rex stated that the gameplan for the Pats* has been in place for a while.

Rex didn't want to give too much away when the win was in the bag.

Book this:

Sammy will have over 100 yards and at least 1 td against the Pats*. He will be a focal point of the passing game.

Yes I am willing to make a friendly wager on this. Name your terms.

I will take that $25 at the Bills store? So 100 yards and 1 TD....win win for me, I have him on a few teams!

Really? Considering multiple threads, shout box whining, etc etc all dedicated to the crisis of Sammy having one target when we just man handled and beat down one of top offenses and teams in the NFL who are expected to compete for a SB. And we did this with all our top WR getting no work with our new QB really, without one of our best, if not best player, Dareus and our starting corner.

People need to realize, we are a run oriented team with a butt load of talent at all the skill positions. Everyone can't have a big game every week. When Sammy has one, odds are Clay, Woods, and Harvin probably wont be having one. Last week, Harvin made a huge play off a great pass. Clay made some big catches. McCoy made some big catches. Karlos made some big runs. Taylor made some big plays.

So seriously, who the hell cares that Watkins didn't? We looked great and its logical to expect that as the starting unit finally gets meaningful reps and game time together will only improve. I don't understand all the crying, this isn't Fantasy Football (in which I am a self admitted junkie lol), this is the NFL and what matters is winning...and we won, convincingly. REJOICE

GO BILLS, F THE PATS!

Dude it's a message board. Folks are gonna talk about things. You don't need to post 3 paragraphs about how you don't care.

GO BILLS, F THE PATS!

Good post!

I'm glad we have Watkins the guy will get his catches but he does the little things extremely well too..

I trust the game planning of Roman..... and I really do not see any issue with us grabbing Sammy and trading picks for him. He's going to have a rock solid career

Edited by ddaryl

Dude it's a message board. Folks are gonna talk about things. You don't need to post 3 paragraphs about how you don't care.

When does it stop? Are we going to get a Clay is over paid thread every week he doesn't have an impactful game when someone else does like Sammy? What about if we throw it all game and McCoy has to do very little? Or again when the rest of the team comes up big and Sammy is relatively quiet again?

This is a great team...and not everyone is going to show up big on the stat sheet every week. But this topic is being beaten to death already in week 1 despite a big statement win that was an all around great team game.

Again, this is the NFL, not fantasy football. So rather than pile on about how a WR got one look who missed most of preseason and camp with an injury, has no real timing or rapport yet with our QB, and plays on a run first team who just dominated one of the top teams in football...how about we just look at the VERY impressive week 1 outing and look forward to how much potential this team has to get even better as Taylor gets more experience, our other play makers get more involved, McCoy gets fully healthy, we get our D starters back, etc?

Just feels like there are people around here who will never be happy with this team no matter how great or dominant a win gets. Its only one week, this week will be an even bigger gauge, but I sure as hell loved what I saw in week 1.

Edited by Alphadawg7