Would You Have Your Son Circumcised, and Why?

Rob's House

Rob's House Jr. recently crossed the finish line, instantly transforming from an inanimate mass of cells to a person, and many friends and family members are now very concerned with his penis, particularly the fact that I'm not considering genital mutilation.

I figure if he ever decided that he's burdened by too much skin he can always decide to have it cut off - hell, I'll Even pay for it - but I thought I'd give him something I was not: a choice. A lot of people find this outrageous but can't or won't give a good answer as to why.

I'm just curious what y'all think about this.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whatever you, and his mother decide, should be good enough for anyone.

My buddy adopted a child who was between 1-2 years old. The boy was not circumcised. At that point, I would just let the boy be, but my buddy decided he had to get clipped. Seems a bit cruel at that age. By the time your son can "decide" for himself, it will be a bit too late, IMO. But a man can live a fine and safe life either way.

Well, congratulations man, first off. Its a totally personal choice though. For me, being Catholic, although not practicing, both my little guys are, because i was. Almost seems a little too... Umm... European not to be.

You dont want him to miss out on the college of his choice, or have it screw up his job interview for his dream job when he gets older so i say do it!

Congratulations, but it appears your mind is made up. 3 male progeny, all with less junk than they originally had, none of them seem to notice or care 17, 23 & 24 years later.

Rob's House Jr. recently crossed the finish line, instantly transforming from an inanimate mass of cells to a person, and many friends and family members are now very concerned with his penis, particularly the fact that I'm not considering genital mutilation.

I figure if he ever decided that he's burdened by too much skin he can always decide to have it cut off - hell, I'll Even pay for it - but I thought I'd give him something I was not: a choice. A lot of people find this outrageous but can't or won't give a good answer as to why.

I'm just curious what y'all think about this.

Congrats bud!!!! 6 1/2 years ago when Cletus Jr made his arrival it wasn't much of a discussion for us.... I am circumcised and didn't consider anything else as an option.... Fast forward a few years.... Once you get to the point where junior will start bathing himself, less skin means less chance for infection, or any other business that happens from not being thoroughly clean. I would suggest it just for that purpose alone....

Whatever you do is the right decision for you.

If I had a son, I wouldn't do it. All this talk about complications is a bit nuts (!). If you clean up a little, no issues. And apparently, the sexual experience is better for the circumcised man (according to those who had later life circumcisions), so why mess with that. A good rule to live with: Avoid unnecessary surgeries. Plus let's be honest, it's going to hurt like hell.

It's your decision. Typically you go with what you know/are comfortable with (I'd be willing to bet you're uncircumcised). I had it done and I had it done on both of my boys the day after they were born. Neither screamed or hollered during it and there's no way they'd ever remember it.

But doing a quick search, anywhere from 71-83% of women prefer circumcised men. Most likely because they've seen more circumcised men than not. So there's that.

interesting topic and congrats to you on your boy. Circumcision was never even discussed when my son was born, but I remember distinctly feeling really awful when he returned from the procedure. It was pretty gruesome looking, and I could tell he was hurting. As a Father you would do anything to prevent your child from feeling an ounce of pain...you know? Also, I believe the medical research has dispelled any myths about concerns related to hygiene/infection.

That said, I am circumsized and my Father is circumsized. I just felt it was the right thing to do. Plus, I don't believe I've ever known anyone who was not circumsized. Also, sexual encounters can be awkward enough for a young man without having to explain the extra skin. I can see both sides of the argument. You'll make the right choice for your boy. Cheers.

It's your decision. Typically you go with what you know/are comfortable with (I'd be willing to bet you're uncircumcised). I had it done and I had it done on both of my boys the day after they were born. Neither screamed or hollered during it and there's no way they'd ever remember it.

But doing a quick search, anywhere from 71-83% of women prefer circumcised men. Most likely because they've seen more circumcised men than not. So there's that.

No, my parents went with the desert religion decision and clipped me in the cradle. It doesn't bother me for myself; I don't lay awake lamenting the loss of my foreskin. I just see it as a primitive, painful, traumatic, and unnecessary practice, born out of mythology, and perpetuated out of a fear of being different. I also figure, you can always cut it off, but you can never grow it back.

In the heels of what could be the beginning of SEVERAL sleepless nights because of someone being !@#$able, maybe we should just focus on her comedic talents for now....

Or more precisely, un!@#$able. After about the 6th month it's pretty difficult, unsatisfying, and, consequentially, rare enough as is. Then there's a minimum 6 week recovery period before you're going to see any hot action. I don't even have to focus at this point. I got direct deposit into the spank bank.

Thanks fellas.

Does anyone else find her insanely !@#$able?

I find Amy insanely funny. On rare occasions, I find her fuc#able, but that probably has as much, or more, to do with how funny I find her.

No, my parents went with the desert religion decision and clipped me in the cradle. It doesn't bother me for myself; I don't lay awake lamenting the loss of my foreskin. I just see it as a primitive, painful, traumatic, and unnecessary practice, born out of mythology, and perpetuated out of a fear of being different. I also figure, you can always cut it off, but you can never grow it back.

A decision I've yet to make but I'd venture 2 things on the flip side of this stance to consider, and underscore first that I don't think there's an inherently wrong choice here so not immense pressure to get it right -- do what you believe and continue on to the next thing without second guessing.

1) odds are, your decision is pretty final. The "can't put it back but can chop later" factor is there but I'm guessing that not many 22 year olds are making that choice regardless of their feelings on the topic. We've chatted enough that I know you've done your research, but I'd steer you into making a decision you feel best instead of punting it to the easiest to later change. It's ok to make choices that can't be.

2) this point also because I've seen you take enough stances that are unpopular but you believe in.... Try not to discredit the idea of "fitting in" toooooo much. I'm sure you will raise a smart free thinking young man, but even if it's a strictly superficial choice- it may be the choice you can make to help give an extra little nod of confidence in a situation he might not always feel confident in. He will do plenty of nonsensical stuff to try and have girls dig him- if you think this might make him feel more confident/appealing, as irrational as it may be under analysis, it seems easy enough to do without big consequence

Neither of those items are based off deep research, or strong opinion or even really trying to persuade at all - just some gut reaction to reading your posts, and seeing if I can challenge you a bit (regardless of if that challenge helps you reaffirm your stance, or changes your opinion).... And congrats!

Edited by NoSaint