Cassel released

FluffHead

IMO...and it is just IMO I dont think EJ has played the best in pre season.......I think TT has

EJ has scored more TDs.....he has had the bigger throws and plays....but TT has been more efficient.....he hasnt fumbled.....the team hasnt taken bad penalties with him on the field. Because a QB is more then just about big plays and is also about being the field general I take all that into consideration.

This is not to say that EJ has not played well....he most certainly has but I dont buy into this "TT is 1 and EJ is 1a" crap.....TT won the job....period.

John, your post reflects a very reasonable mind set.

EJM is still developing. or maybe better said, finally developing( post Maroon)

TT experience has got to be better, as a player under a very real NFL qb and coaching staff. and we dont know the ceiling of either actually.

Tyrod did win the job and EJM won the #2.

The essence of playing NFL quarterback is making the big throws and making the big plays. EJ is almost the perfect prototype NFL QB size-wise. Now his style of play on the field (preseason, I know) is looking very much like the prototype style of what winning franchise NFL QBs are asked to do. I'm not betting against Taylor because Russell Wilson has shown it can be done in that style. Having said that, EJ Manuel played preseason football in a style very similar to 9 of the last 10 Superbowl winning QBs.

I actually think Manuel won the job by a nose at the wire because I put a lot more into throwing TD passes than long drives. But I will be rooting for Taylor to play great and prove me wrong.

Keep in mind, winning games is more than the big play. Consider that ball possession is a big factor in beating defenses over 4 quarters. tire that front 7 out !

Edited by 3rdand12

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cassel had value as an experienced QB who knew life in the NFL from both the role of starter and backup. That knowledge would have helped TT and EJ in their respective roles. Plus, as an emergency QB he would be better than most.

This was a move to give EJ the undisputed backup opportunity by someone in management (whom I won't name) who didn't want to take any chances Rex may choose Meh over EJ as the #2.

Edited by negativo

Cassel had value as an experienced QB who knew life in the NFL from both the role of starter and backup. That knowledge would have helped TT and EJ in their respective roles. Plus, as an emergency QB he would be better than most.

This was a move to give EJ the undisputed backup opportunity by someone in management (whom I won't name) who didn't want to take any chances Rex may choose Meh over EJ as the #2.

EJ has experience as both a starter and a backup. Taylor got all he needed from watching Flacco for four years.

TT needs 2-3 years as the unquestioned, uninterrupted starter before we'll have even a vague idea of what he can do.

funny the EJ lovers have been saying that for over a year now.

Thats what happens when ownership and coaches change........

I said as much a week or so ago. Typically I was criticized because I'm a Super Fan.

Indeed. I kind of think EJ played the best in preseason, but can see the additional something TT brings to the table. They both had sensational preseason performances, though. (I know TT always looks very good in preseason, and EJ does at times as well.)

But I don't really see a divided fan base, this year (with the exception of some message board outliers). Most seem to be solidly behind TT as the starter--even those who might have preferred EJ. As far as I can tell, the fan base is more united and behind the QB situation at OBD than it has been in 10 years or so. Now, let's see what happens when the games start counting.

The divide IMO is that people think they know EJ just doesn't get it, and now that EJ won the # 2 position they use the same arguments for TT's unknown play abilities in a live NF Lgame that they mocked J fans for using.

May TT succeed. If not may EJ succeed.

:doh:

I'll say what others say. What are you contributing to this conversation? An emoticon?

Jesus why do I feed the trolls?

IMO...and it is just IMO I dont think EJ has played the best in pre season.......I think TT has

Fair enough, and I get it. But to ME, based solely on the preseason games, I believe EJ was the better to the two, by a slim margin.

But my point was, I don't think there is any real controversy here, even for those who thought EJ played better in preseason (like me). There was a statement that this was divisive to Bills fans. I really don't think it is. Both QBs played well, and TT brings that something extra to the position. TT got the nod from Roman and Rex. I'm good with that.

The divide IMO is that people think they know EJ just doesn't get it, and now that EJ won the # 2 position they use the same arguments for TT's unknown play abilities in a live NF Lgame that they mocked J fans for using.

May TT succeed. If not may EJ succeed.

I'll say what others say. What are you contributing to this conversation? An emoticon?

Jesus why do I feed the trolls?

Amen. brother.

Fair enough, and I get it. But to ME, based solely on the preseason games, I believe EJ was the better to the two, by a slim margin.

But my point was, I don't think there is any real controversy here, even for those who thought EJ played better in preseason (like me). There was a statement that this was divisive to Bills fans. I really don't think it is. Both QBs played well, and TT brings that something extra to the position. TT got the nod from Roman and Rex. I'm good with that.

Amen. brother.

:beer:

I'd be all over signing Cassel after week 1 for a cheap contract - except for the fact he's not at all similar to either Tyrod or EJ. I think we need to find another QB with similar (if green) skills. EJ was super mobile in the past and can move around too.

I'd be all over signing Cassel after week 1 for a cheap contract - except for the fact he's not at all similar to either Tyrod or EJ. I think we need to find another QB with similar (if green) skills. EJ was super mobile in the past and can move around too.

I was actually surprised that they brought Tanney onto the PS instead of Phillip Sims (Alabama, not Matt's old man).

Nothing against Matt, I wouldn't mind having him as the #3, but I'm surprised how overrated he has been. I think the "Cassel brings veteran leadership" perspective is overstated. He brings the experience of mediocrity and losing his job. He can give you great pointers on how to handle those situations.

People keep overlooking the fact that Tyrod sat behind Flacco with either Jim Caldwell or Gary Kubiak running the offense for YEARS and watched them WIN THE SUPER BOWL. If he doesn't know how to prepare at this point, Cassel isn't going to teach him — and every indication we've had is Taylor is a very prepared dude.

Both played quite well but the difference to me was that EJ got the yips and made "left handed" throws on several third downs.

One of those was in a series that was NOT shown on the NFL replay version of the first game so A LOT of people here did not see it.

Manuel rolled out of the pocket to his left and had an uncovered O'Leary right in front of him.....about 15 yards downfield......and he threw just about the worst pass I've ever seen and only got the ball half way there.

Drive killed.

Taylor didn't complete his few long passes but they were all catchable.

Love the improvements EJ made but to me TT was the clear winner.

I was so relieved when Tyrod was named the starter. Then, I was waiting for the other shoe to drop. After Cassel was cut, I thought, "Wow, this feels different! It's not the "same old, same old."

To me, if the team kept Cassel, it would have been to go conservative after the powers that be got nervous 4-5 weeks into the regular season. I don't feel any second guessing with this coaching staff. They seem confident in their decisions. There's going without a safety net. For better or worse.

I think it makes sense to go with TT and EJ. Similar skillset (no not identical) that can stay with the same offense regardless of what happens.

Will you stop with the friggen conspiracy theories....jesus

Both played quite well but the difference to me was that EJ got the yips and made "left handed" throws on several third downs.

One of those was in a series that was NOT shown on the NFL replay version of the first game so A LOT of people here did not see it.

Manuel rolled out of the pocket to his left and had an uncovered O'Leary right in front of him.....about 15 yards downfield......and he threw just about the worst pass I've ever seen and only got the ball half way there.

Drive killed.

Taylor didn't complete his few long passes but they were all catchable.

Love the improvements EJ made but to me TT was the clear winner.

I agree with this and saw it the same way......

That pass to O'leary was horrible......BUT he has thrown much fewer of those then in the past.....enough of them that if TT had not come out and shown better I would have had no problem going into the season with EJ at the helm

but

The fact is....TT has an arm.....he appears more accurate.....he has a calmness to him that I actually find really impressive.....

Will you stop with the friggen conspiracy theories....jesus

I agree with this and saw it the same way......

That pass to O'leary was horrible......BUT he has thrown much fewer of those then in the past.....enough of them that if TT had not come out and shown better I would have had no problem going into the season with EJ at the helm

but

The fact is....TT has an arm.....he appears more accurate.....he has a calmness to him that I actually find really impressive.....

I saw all the games, even those not on NFL, so I know the play you are talking about. I thought the big clutch throws (and the drive at the end of the Brown's game) more that made up for 2-3 bad throws EJ made. I think the coaches did TT a disservice by not letting him take some shots into the end zone in that first game. In the end, though, it didn't hurt him.

And both TT and EJ look very calm and composed, IMO.