Cassel released

FluffHead

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope, not at all Kyle. EJ played well as I have said, but I'll speak slower so you can catch up, a few good preseason throws doesn't automatically make him great, all the Bills QBs look pretty good this preseason FWIW. To hang your hat on one or two preseason throws is comical. Obviously EJ and MC were close and the Bills couldn't justify $4+ million on a backup, so they went with the cheaper option. Pretty self explanatory IMO.

It is a little more complicated then that......the bills are biult to win now so if EJ was not playing at least as well as Cassell they would not have released him.

Two good things about EJ.....while his progress has been slower then anyone would have liked...he is in fact showing it and Tyrod Taylor appeared on the scene allowing EJ to hold the clipboard a while longer and continue to work on his game.

I personally hope TT becomes the next big thing.....and EJ stays on a extension past his rookie contract allowing us to become good at the QB position overall

No.

so, you are saying that the other guy who missed only 1 preseason pass, had multiple passing TD's and a 7.3 ypp average must have been VERY good! :thumbsup:

That's a ridiculous statement. Trying to draw that kind of conclusion from that stat line with that small a simple size and with no context is just plain dumb.

Just like the criticism of EJ and 14 total games.

You are Da Man!!! Glad the light finally turned on for you!

You know there's practices in preseason too. Lots of them.

Practice? Did you say practice?

What?

why?

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

I find it interesting that folks don't accept what the regime has done and roll with it.

Tyrod starts.

EJ backs him up.

The Bills are in a win now mode due to the money tied up in the defensive line. thats a rare moment. Gotta take advantage. Just ask Seattle

How about we rally around the team? and hope both EJ and Tyrod continue their proverbial ascension.

That really is the best option isn't it ?

Go Bills!

First of all, thanks to the CBA are no longer LOTS of practices...LOL You should know that. Secondly, in practice, QBs are not allowed to be hit so I could see why a statue like Cassel would show much greater there than he would in games where he can potentially be hit hard.

By training camp practice #11, EJ Manuel was being written off by a larger and larger number group of people in both the local media and fans alike. That's after only 22 hours of "real time" work learning a brand freakin new NFL offense for a young QB like Manuel who was taught by a rank amateur for his first two years! In the end, all of these people were proven wrong. You have to have some sense of perspective on the actual situation.

I just don't understand the continued EJ hate when it's crystal clear that he has made a dramatic improvement in his play later on in training camp under the new coaching staff and he will no doubt be challenging Taylor for the starting job until either Taylor or Manuel win the job on the field.

Edited by 1billsfan

I find it interesting that folks don't accept what the regime has done and roll with it.

Tyrod starts.

EJ backs him up.

The Bills are in a win now mode due to the money tied up in the defensive line. thats a rare moment. Gotta take advantage. Just ask Seattle

How about we rally around the team? and hope both EJ and Tyrod continue their proverbial ascension.

Go Bills!

yea i agree with this. also, its just so uncouth to spend that much on a 3rd string qb, has to create alil dissonance in the ranks. he was an asset though, and i do miss him. he played hard at st. john fisher and has experience.

yea i agree with this. also, its just so uncouth to spend that much on a 3rd string qb, has to create alil dissonance in the ranks. he was an asset though, and i do miss him. he played hard at st. john fisher and has experience.

Really? It's uncouth? My word. Well then, thank goodness they didn't keep him. We can't have that and we shan't have that.

;)

First of all, thanks to the CBA are no longer LOTS of practices...LOL You should know that. Secondly, in practice, QBs are not allowed to be hit so I could see why a statue like Cassel would show much greater there than he would in games where he can potentially be hit hard.

By training camp practice #11, EJ Manuel was being written off by a larger and larger number group of people in both the local media and fans alike. That's after only 22 hours of "real time" work learning a brand freakin new NFL offense for a young QB like Manuel who was taught by a rank amateur for his first two years! In the end, all of these people were proven wrong. You have to have some sense of perspective on the actual situation.

I just don't understand the continued EJ hate when it's crystal clear that he has made a dramatic improvement in his play later on in training camp under the new coaching staff and he will no doubt be challenging Taylor for the starting job until either Taylor or Manuel win the job on the field.

Tyrod Taylor also had to learn a new offense. And he has won the job on field already.

The job on the field has been won.....TT won it

Tyrod Taylor also had to learn a new offense. And he has won the job on field already.

Yes, TT won the starting job on the field. What I'm talking about is winning the starting job for the next 10 years by consistently winning regular season and playoff games. Taylor hasn't won that job yet and if he falters or gets injured then Manuel will get his opportunity. My hope is that Taylor is the guy (because he's first man up) and if not, then I hope Manuel is the guy. IMO the Bills are in a great position with these two young QBs who are solid guys and ready to make a mark on the league.

I don't hate on Taylor. I'm not sure why fans like you continue to hate on Manuel. Given the rocket-like rise in his play under Roman one would think you could stop and simply admit you were possibly very wrong about his prospects.

Yes, TT won the starting job on the field. What I'm talking about is winning the starting job for the next 10 years by consistently winning regular season and playoff games. Taylor hasn't won that job yet and if he falters or gets injured then Manuel will get his opportunity. My hope is that Taylor is the guy (because he's first man up) and if not, then I hope Manuel is the guy. IMO the Bills are in a great position with these two young QBs who are solid guys and ready to make a mark on the league.

I don't hate on Taylor. I'm not sure why fans like you continue to hate on Manuel. Given the rocket-like rise in his play under Roman one would think you could stop and simply admit you were possibly very wrong about his prospects.

He had one good preseason game. Sheesh.

I think we all know there's going to be a certain group of posters pushing for a QB switch the second Taylor throws an incomplete pass.

I rather take the QB doing just ok in practice against our own guys and well on the field when playing other teams, over the guy doing pretty good in practice and throwing 3-8 yard passes over and over and over an....... in games. He had his chances and when he was in the offense sputtered. Even in the Pitt game with EJ the offense moved and scored at will, Cassel comes in and nothing. Tyrod then comes in and scores at will, EJ comes in and scores right away. They played with and against the same players that game and Cassel was by far the least of the three. So go have your QB that's practice king I'll take the other two.

Edited by LOVEMESOMEBILLS

It's called being so fully invested in your position to the point that you are too far gone to come back. This clown, among others here on this board, are so far down the "EJ will NEVER be a competent starting QB" road that they simply cannot return. Not enough fuel to get back. So on they plod. There are those in the media that are essentially in that very same same place.

Tyler Dunne from the News continues to bang the drum as well. Did you know EJ actually threw a pass that bounced into a hospitality tent and also hit a camera man on the sideline with another?????? Heavens to Betsy, it's a twister, it's a twister Auntie Em!! Oh, and Lordy Lordy, he fumbled some shotgun snaps in practice!! Oh the humanity. I SAW some of the snaps he was getting from second and third string centers early on and they weren't pretty, but why let a little fact like that get in the way of a narrative that you have invested yourself deeply within.

Matt Coller at GR is another one. The analytics boy wonder genius who believes numbers tell you everything you need to know about a guy, and they tell him that EJ cannot possibly improve enough to be good.

So of course, the ONLY reason why EJ is still on the team, or worse yet, that he was actually kept in lieu of Cassel at second string is because Whaley is committed to keeping HIS guy. No other explanation for it, boy howdy.

The only guy who was heavily invested in this narrative and yet had the huevos to give credit where credit was due was Joe B. And Sal C actually conceded that he was caught up in the group think that was going on out there at SJF as well, and was outright supportive of releasing Cassel. Human nature makes some people pathetically funny, because they just can't help themselves.

Edited by BuffaloBob

EJ may be a very good QB in this league before his career is done. Being a young guy and with all the coaching turnover, it's not hard to see why he had some struggles. If you follow the "body language" of the coaches so far this pre-season, it sure seems like EJ didn't get off to the best of starts but showed a lot of progress in the past 2-3 weeks.

I rather take the QB doing just ok in practice against our own guys and well on the field when playing other teams, over the guy doing pretty good in practice and throwing 3-8 yard passes over and over and over an....... in games. He had his chances and when he was in the offense sputtered. Even in the Pitt game with EJ the offense moved and scored at will, Cassel comes in and nothing. Tyrod then comes in and scores at will, EJ comes in and scores right away. They played with and against the same players that game and Cassel was by far the least of the three. So go have your QB that's practice king I'll take the other two.

I'm just saying he wasn't "GOD AWFUL."

Sometimes I just shake my head at these posts.

Tyrod starts.

EJ backs him up.

Go Bills!

This post can only go in the stickied "positive" thread. This thread is for QB bashing and the bashing of fellow posters. That's more fun and aggravating than actually just being a fan that supports the team through thick and thin. Maybe it's the amount of thin we've endured, but this board gets testier and testier by the year.....

I'm just saying he wasn't "GOD AWFUL."

Sometimes I just shake my head at these posts.

I get you FireChan. EJ is an unproven commodity. Yes, he has played 14 games, but that really got us nowhere. Cassel was a proven commodity, just without the upside. Let's hope we don't have to find out what we lost in not keeping Cassel, but up until his release I really loved the idea of being on this high wire with a safety net.

Its a risk for sure.

That was a lot of money for insurance though ?

at least we don't have him to bash about anymore. we can refocus our collective energies ( obviously) on the TT EJM duo.

Uncouth. I am so proud :thumbsup: . But i bet they thought he was going to be the 1 or 2 when they offered him that contract. **** happens

Really? It's uncouth? My word. Well then, thank goodness they didn't keep him. We can't have that and we shan't have that.

;)

This is why you are truly The Dean.

One thing is certain...As a Bills fan I'll be pulling for him hard...

The same way I'll pull hard for EJ....

Man, in the privacy of your own home you can do whatever sexual activity you want....but it's not really any of our business.