Perhaps OT? Timmy Graham's Twitter Pillow Fight

eball

Why does this thread exist? What difference does it make if TG is full of crap? Is there really a need to play Sir Walter Raleigh? Should we put our cloaks across a puddle for Whaley to cross? Is he a damsel in distress?

I look at Whaley and see an aggressive GM. He used 2 number 1 draft choices on a receiver and signed a running qb who is now the starter. This may or may not work. Meanwhile, he has earned millions of dollars. As far as I'm concerned he can fend for himself. If the Bills lose he will be canned. If they win, who's better than him? Was this a "rogue" move? Maybe, maybe not.

What I can tell you is that if you go to divorce court tomorrow and lose a half a million dollars, Whaley won't be bursting into the court room defending your honor.

End of rant.

Are you even in the right thread? What are you talking about

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, I read the Kryk article but I must have missed it. What "dashed line" reporting responsibilities did Kryk identify that were bypassed?

I thought the Brandon did a nice job of laying out roles and responsibilities during the 14 Jan introductory presser. Whaley is GM and is responsible for the 53 man roster. Rex is responsible for the game day roster. Brandon is responsible for football ops. All report to the Pegulas. Basically what I read Kryk as advocating was the hiring of a football czar to whom all 3 would report - which essentially sounds to me like handing off responsibility from the Pegulas to Mr Czar, whomever he might be.

That clear responsibility looks good in the press conference, but what about the process to resolve a conflict? Kryk correctly pointed that out. And don't you think that the roles and responsibilities are already muddy with Rex bringing the Jets guys he likes and Whaley lobbying EJ for the starting job?

I have a hunch this isn't the last such incident.

Edited by GG

That clear responsibility looks good in the press conference, but what about the process to resolve a conflict? Kryk correctly pointed that out. And don't you think that the roles and responsibilities are already muddy with Rex bringing the Jets guys he likes and Whaley lobbying EJ for the starting job?

Just because Whaley reports to Terry and Rex reports to Terry doesn't negate or lessen the chance that Whaley doesn't discuss each and every move he makes with Rex. I would be shocked if he ever did it once and he didn't do it this time and if he ever does, the relationship with Rex will already be so bad as to be unfixable. It will never happen unless one of them is already out the door.

Of course I mean any move of any note whatsoever, although he probably discusses it with Rex anyway before he does it.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

Or the opposite, the professionals like a Wawrow see the professional side of him as maybe he does write very insightful and stimulating articles. But he has a very petty side to him and doesn't take criticism well and personality wise just isn't suited for the social media age. Maybe a guy like him would be best to write his articles and completely stay off all social media

You should see some of the late night posts Wawrow posted on Sabres Space targeting a specific poster just a few months ago. These guys are all thin-skinned and think they're better than us peons because they have a larger vocabulary.

If there was a conflict, looks to me like it got resolved. No, don't think the roles and responsibilities are too muddy - a good GM will try to align closely with what the coach wants and needs in personnel, and when it comes to low-level players "guys we know" are almost always given a look-see. The problem arises if they are kept around in lieu of someone better 'cuz they're "coach's picks", but do you see that as happening? With whom? Looks to me as though most of Ryan's look-see guys came saw and left.

The GM will also lobby the coach to give a player he IDs as talented a fair shot. Again, the problem arises only if the GM's guy is given a shot ahead of someone arguably better. Do you see that happening? With whom? EJ is not our starter and to most of us armchair evaluators, they picked the guy who showed the best.

I agree it likely won't be the last such incident if Pegula doesn't round up the troups and tell them to air out their differences when their input is sought, understand what person has decision making authority, and once the decision is reached, STFU

You should see some of the late night posts Wawrow posted on Sabres Space targeting a specific poster just a few months ago. These guys are all thin-skinned hypersensitive and envisage they're better than superior to us peons because they have a larger prodigious vocabulary.

fixed

You should see some of the late night posts Wawrow posted on Sabres Space targeting a specific poster just a few months ago. These guys are all thin-skinned and think they're better than us peons because they have a larger vocabulary.

And things like access, sources, dozens of relationships built on years in the trade...etc

And things like access, sources, dozens of relationships built on years in the trade...etc

Yeah, in that case that definitely gives them the right to engage in hissy fits on Twitter and message boards.

Wawrow got played hard after the Steelers game when a "source" told him Cassel might be the starter. One week later and Cassel is cut. He got used and abused as a mouthpiece for a front office executive and didn't have the sense to question the report before getting it out there as quick as he could. Vic Carucci I expect it from, but from a "prestigous" journalist like him, I expect better.

Edited by musichunch

#BADOL - thanks for the unwarranted shots at my intelligence and ability to participate in educated conversation. You must be one heluva guy. I'm really sorry we have had differing opinions on stupid sports related topics over the years. My beef with Tim Graham is not about his writing, it's about how he treats people - which to me is indicative of character. Too bad you don't see the difference.

Have a great day and go Bills.

Had a great day, thanks.

Unfortunately I have seen far too much of you attacking Bills fans who have a legitimately backed, negative take on bad football on this site, and in turn discouraging football conversation, over the years.

Despite what you may think, the average Bills fan doesn't get outraged at this Tim Graham stuff.

Extremists do and they call in to talk shows and start threads on TSW about this stuff. You create content for them with your anger but it just discourages discussion here.

You are one of the reasons that people like Lori no longer contribute here.

No game for the game, just hate for takes you perceive as negative.

I look forward to an era of winning football that puts the fan haters on this site out of business. :thumbsup:

That's where I derive my superiority complex from. I'm not just a pedantic supercilious anal orifice, but I also have a scintillating command of the English lexicon, not only in common usage, but in my efficacious neologodaciousness in expanding said lexicon.

So suck it, bitches.

Yeah, in that case that definitely gives them the right to engage in hissy fits on Twitter and message boards.

Wawrow got played hard after the Steelers game when a "source" told him Cassel might be the starter. One week later and Cassel is cut. He got used and abused as a mouthpiece for a front office executive and didn't have the sense to question the report before getting it out there as quick as he could. Vic Carucci I expect it from, but from a "prestigous" journalist like him, I expect better.

How did JW get played? You mean to tell me that these decisions aren't malleable? It's quite clear Cassel was in the mix until the very end. When Tyrod won the job, Cassel had a huge target on his back given his salary and the relatively minimal gap between all three QBs. You're assertions that he's shilling for the front office are ludicrous and misguided.

But he won an award!

I think fellow journalists stick up for each other because they get a lot of crap for just doing their jobs well. But Tim Graham is a spoiled child who can dish it but can't take it. As for being a good reporter, being factual shouldn't be an on again/off again thing. His "rogue Whaley" story was slipshod work, made worse because national media picked up on it. Frankly I hold his editors at the News responsible. They are supposed to be the gatekeepers and make reporters defend their work, especially when making damaging accusations of an NFL GM.

Promo... who's Timmys boss.... Sully? enough said.

How did JW get played? You mean to tell me that these decisions aren't malleable? It's quite clear Cassel was in the mix until the very end. When Tyrod won the job, Cassel had a huge target on his back given his salary and the relatively minimal gap between all three QBs. You're assertions that he's shilling for the front office are ludicrous and misguided.

Exactly. Three separate and simultaneous things happened to Matt Cassel to cause him to go from probably starter to not making the team:

1) Tyrod beat him out by showing he could throw as well as run.

2) EJ showed enough to consider him a viable future QB and good enough to not kill you if your starter went down.

3) Matt Cassel played as mediocre Matt Cassel, not the kinda almost sorta good Matt Cassel.

All three of those things had to happen for him to be released and they did.

Exactly. Three separate and simultaneous things happened to Matt Cassel to cause him to go from probably starter to not making the team:

1) Tyrod beat him out by showing he could throw as well as run.

2) EJ showed enough to consider him a viable future QB and good enough to not kill you if your starter went down.

3) Matt Cassel played as mediocre Matt Cassel, not the kinda almost sorta good Matt Cassel.

All three of those things had to happen for him to be released and they did.

I am still a little surprised. It was a salary dump for sure though.

I think the roster is closer to just the best 47 than the best 53. I think there are 2-3 spots that remain very fluid.

To me, I'd like to see all stops pulled out to win this year.

When you don't have a franchise QB you have small windows to compete between roster turnover.

IMO with the exception of bad QB play they have had playoff caliber talent on this team for the past 3 seasons.

This roster is likely to be thinned over the next few seasons so unless TT or EJ is ready to become a top 10 QB then there is no time like the present.

The combination of being year 1 of the Rex regime....when his message is freshest and while there is residual discipline left over from the Marrone regime........ PLUS being in year 6 of the Buddy Nix re-build makes this the best time to make noise in January.

Why does this thread exist? What difference does it make if TG is full of crap? Is there really a need to play Sir Walter Raleigh? Should we put our cloaks across a puddle for Whaley to cross? Is he a damsel in distress?

I look at Whaley and see an aggressive GM. He used 2 number 1 draft choices on a receiver and signed a running qb who is now the starter. This may or may not work. Meanwhile, he has earned millions of dollars. As far as I'm concerned he can fend for himself. If the Bills lose he will be canned. If they win, who's better than him? Was this a "rogue" move? Maybe, maybe not.

What I can tell you is that if you go to divorce court tomorrow and lose a half a million dollars, Whaley won't be bursting into the court room defending your honor.

End of rant.

Bill, you know I respect you, but you are completely missing the point of this thread. It has nothing to do with defending Whaley, as he really doesn't need our defense.

What in hell are you talking about? Properly framed and sourced, a journalist can report what a source tells him/her. As long as they are careful about how they report it. I think it's pretty clear, TG was extremely cavalier about a very inflammatory accusation.