Matt Cassel Update

BreezeMafia

Tim is saying, he heard what he heard from a source---and reported it. So it isn't his fault. And if someone doesn't trust Tim's sources, they should ignore Tim's reports (good advice, actually).

Because instead of, you know, checking out a tip from a source, the way a real journalist might, Timmy went and tweeted slanderous information. But it wasn't, you know, his fault.

Except what he said was that Doug went rogue, even though Doug did everything he should have, and he's using lesser Bills officials and "some coaches" to back up that claim, none of which need to be told about Fred before it happens. It's not that he is lying, or that his sources are wrong, or that he needs to check up on a tip. I'm pretty sure he was told that. The problem is it came from basically nobodies, and him using their quote implies it was somebodies.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tim is saying, he heard what he heard from a source---and reported it. So it isn't his fault. And if someone doesn't trust Tim's sources, they should ignore Tim's reports (good advice, actually).

Because instead of, you know, checking out a tip from a source, the way a real journalist might, Timmy went and tweeted slanderous information. But it wasn't, you know, his fault.

Concern for actual facts has never really been part of his deal.

Except what he said was that Doug went rogue, even though Doug did everything he should have, and he's using lesser Bills officials and "some coaches" to back up that claim, none of which need to be told about Fred before it happens. It's not that he is lying, or that his sources are wrong, or that he needs to check up on a tip. I'm pretty sure he was told that. The problem is it came from basically nobodies, and him using their quote implies it was somebodies.

When he first announced it, I'm not sure he was so clear about who in the organization was left out of the loop. I believe he backed up his "rogue" comment with that information later. If I'm wrong, then I will rethink my statement. Had he been even a half-assed journalist, he would have checked to see if those people actually had any say in the decision. OR Would have made their positions in the organization clear.

and he knew 100%

he purposefully presented it in a manner that made it sound much more scandalous than it was, even if the gist is accurate that not everyone agreed, and maybe someone was out of the loop. but it surely wasnt anyone major left out.

When he first announced it, I'm not sure he was so clear about who in the organization was left out of the loop. I believe he backed up his "rogue" comment with that information later. If I'm wrong, then I will rethink my statement. Had he been even a half-assed journalist, he would have checked to see if those people actually had any say in the decision. OR Would have made their positions in the organization clear.

I think he knew what he was doing all along. He wasn't clear about who it was at all. That is why it was such a lousy thing to do. I think he knew what the implications were and he knew what would happen with his tweet and he just did it anyway because it was the truth, insofar as members of the Bills organization said that to him and some coaches were not on board with the decision. It wasn't dishonest it was disingenuous.

and he knew 100%

he purposefully presented it in a manner that made it sound much more scandalous than it was, even if the gist is accurate that not everyone agreed, and maybe someone was out of the loop. but it surely wasnt anyone major left out.

Exactly.

I think he knew what he was doing all along. He wasn't clear about who it was at all. That is why it was such a lousy thing to do. I think he knew what the implications were and he knew what would happen with his tweet and he just did it anyway because it was the truth, insofar as members of the Bills organization said that to him and some coaches were not on board with the decision. It wasn't dishonest it was disingenuous.

Exactly.

If so, then it is even worse, IMO. We talked about where he could have gotten the info and I think between us, we were right on the money. But if one of those said "Rogue" he should have explained who in the organization would typically have a say in cutting a player---or asked those people in the organization to see if they were indeed in the loop. What you are saying is, right from the get-go, he knew he was helping his source actively slander the GM.

Edited by The Dean

If so, then it is even worse, IMO. We talked about where he could have gotten the info and I think between us, we were right on the money. But if one of those said "Rogue" he should have explained who in the organization would typically have a say in cutting a player---or asked those people in the organization to see if they were indeed in the loop. What you are saying is, right from the get-go, he knew he was helping his source actively slander the GM.

I don't think he cared about that, although I don't know. I think all he cared about was the sensationalism of the quote and the rise it would get out of people. The sources are incredibly petty cowards to use that phrase. I think Graham should have just made it clear that it wasn't any of the top dogs and he consciously just didn't.

And by top dogs I mean football dogs.

This 'story' only gets picked up nationally because of the Buffalo News' quasi-official position as the newspaper of record for the Bills. In other words, TG's legitimacy stems from his employer, without whom he's just another Internet troll.

Yet precisely because of the air cover he gets as a 'Journalist' he can tweet anything, cause a stink and then tell people not to pay attention to him.

If I was Lisa Wilson, I'd put him on a very short leash. This whole hubbub did nothing but give the News a blackeye...

Imo

Edited by Lurker

This 'story' only gets picked up nationally because of the Buffalo News' quasi-official position as the newspaper of record for the Bills. In other words, TG's legitimacy stems from his employer, without whom he's just another Internet troll.

Yet precisely because of the air cover he gets as a 'Journalist' he can tweet anything, cause a stink and then tell people not to pay attention to him.

If I was Lisa Wilson, I'd put him on a very short leash. This whole hubbub did nothing but give the News a blackeye...

Imo

all the more reason it's a damn shame we no longer have the Courier-Express. Look what happens when you have no competition....lots of typos, innuendo being passed off as journalism, unverified reporting, etc etc.

BN = local fish wrap

if Cassel does get the axe, does RG3 make sense? Don't shoot the messenger, just putting it out there

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/177355/bears-bills-browns-eagles-giants-likely-destinations-for-robert-griffin-iii