Sammy the Inside Blocker

wakingfane

I am a ten-year veteran lurker, first time poster. Not sure why this topic compelled me to join the forum except that I haven't seen the idea posted anywhere else...

The fans are concerned about our depth at tight end working out for Greg Roman's offense. We don't want to keep a middling tight end at the expense of a very good wideout like Hogan or Goodwin. What if we only keep three tight ends on the roster. Then in the game, when it's time for Roman to call a power running play that would typically use three TE/FBs instead just keep two TE/FBs on the field, and motion Sammy inside as the third blocker. Remember when Sammy blew up his opponent in blocking drills? I'm guessing that wasn't a unique occurrence. This leaves Clay, Felton and Sammy on the field together, allows for pass plays out of the same formation. Maybe as elite an athlete as Sammy is, he is just as good a blocker as Marqueis Gray or Chris Gragg

In a similar vein, don't be surprised if Corey Graham plays all summer at safety to learn the position and then when the announcers begin to call the Colts game, you hear them say "Rex opting for the veteran at cornerback. The Buffalo native in his ninth NFL season, Corey Graham, matches up outside with Andre Johnson."

Edited by wakingfane

I am a ten-year veteran lurker, first time poster. Not sure why this topic compelled me to join the forum except that I haven't seen the idea posted anywhere else...

The fans are concerned about our depth at tight end working out for Greg Roman's offense. We don't want to keep a middling tight end at the expense of a very good wideout like Hogan or Goodwin. What if we only keep three tight ends in the roster. Then in the game, when it's time for Roman to call a power running play that would typically use three TE/FBs instead just keep two TE/FBs on the field, and motion Sammy inside as the third blocker. Remember when Sammy blew up his opponent in blocking drills? I'm guessing that wasn't a unique occurrence. This leaves Clay, Felton and Sammy on the field together, allows for pass plays out of the same formation. Maybe as elite an athlete as Sammy is, he is just as good a blocker as Marquise Gray or Chris Gragg

In a similar vein, don't be surprised if Corey Graham plays all summer at safety to learn the position and then when the announcers begin to call the Colts game, you hear them say "Rex opting for the veteran at outside cornerback. The Buffalo native in his ninth NFL season Corey Graham matches up with Andre Johnson."

Welcome to the board.

I would be wholly on board with the idea of 3 TEs, especially with the way Roman is willing to play an extra OLmen in Jumbo sets.

Your observation about Sammy's blocking skills is spot-on.

As to Graham, well, I do think he's a better CB at this point than Darby...I worry, however, about Duke Williams playing significant snaps in coverage against Indy's TEs with Luck slinging the ball around.

The fans are concerned about our depth at tight end working out for Greg Roman's offense. We don't want to keep a middling tight end at the expense of a very good wideout like Hogan or Goodwin. What if we only keep three tight ends on the roster. Then in the game, when it's time for Roman to call a power running play that would typically use three TE/FBs instead just keep two TE/FBs on the field, and motion Sammy inside as the third blocker. Remember when Sammy blew up his opponent in blocking drills? I'm guessing that wasn't a unique occurrence. This leaves Clay, Felton and Sammy on the field together, allows for pass plays out of the same formation. Maybe as elite an athlete as Sammy is, he is just as good a blocker as Marqueis Gray or Chris Gragg

In a similar vein, don't be surprised if Corey Graham plays all summer at safety to learn the position and then when the announcers begin to call the Colts game, you hear them say "Rex opting for the veteran at cornerback. The Buffalo native in his ninth NFL season, Corey Graham, matches up outside with Andre Johnson."

I think we only keep 3 tight ends after watching Roman bring in his Heavy set routinely , I think he wants to use Kuanjo as his 4th Tight end for blocking needs and that way he can double dip.

I think we only keep 3 tight ends after watching Roman bring in his Heavy set routinely , I think he wants to use Kuanjo as his 4th Tight end for blocking needs and that way he can double dip.

He can also use Urbik in that capacity as well...he did that with Daniel Kilgore in SF, and Urbik did some of that in goal line scenarios last year.

Interesting topic. I am all in favor of utilizing guys you keep for other reasons, ie Kyle or another OT. You'd hate to see them keep a marginal tight end, merely for a 3 TE set. Also one of the full backs could probably step in for that set, or hell why would one of the back up DTs not be a beast out there and have the practice bandwidth to take reps?

TEs can both block and catch- yes you bring them in because its a running set but the defense still knows they have to cover the guy in case of play action, don't wanna give up 10-15 yards for no reason. Kyle or Kouandjio the defense can pretty much ignore. Maybe not a big deal to Roman as he's more focused on the running game?

I actually wondered if this was the reason the Bills were holding onto both Felton and Connor. Either of those guys are vastly better "road pavers" than any WR on the roster. Personally, I wouldn't want to risk Sammy to injury for the sole purpose of putting him in to block on a play. That would be careless coaching. I do think they'll keep two TE's on the roster none the less in addition to two FB's.

In that scenario who do we play at safety?

Welcome.

I have been lobbying for 3 TE's, at the most. Mulligan/Gragg, Clay and Gray. While I like Gragg and think he is worth more then Mulligan because he can catch I would give the slight edge to Mulligan because he can block. Then again, I could cut Gray and chance that Clay stays healthy but Gray is a lot like Clay and would be best matched as his backup.

If we could only keep 2 TE's, I'd be happy if we had 4 reasonable Tackles. We only have 3 on the roster (Johnson is listed at OG) and I expect that to change before the final 53. Heck, let'm run for a pass a while. Urbik being on the team is huge because he can fill in at OT in a pinch. Henderson could be interesting as a blocking TE, as 6'5 343 he could set an edge by just falling down.

Either way, I don't want to make a WR block where he could get cheap shotted.

I hadn't thought about the likelihood of injury or cheap shots. I suppose that is the reason you don't see much of this. We did used to see Josh Reed motion in tight and do some very effective blocking as a seal the edge type blocker. Hines Ward did a lot of that in Pittsburgh. Roman's blocking schemes though, seem to have a lot more mixing it up in very tight spaces at the line of scrimmage which might just not work for a smaller body. But, I still think Sammy would do fine one on one against most LB's toward the edge of the line or at the second level. He could get to the second level very quickly. And yes, he could obviously be a decoy blocker releasing into space to catch. This would not be a true heavy set to use regularly, but something to sprinkle in. It would have to be practiced when media is not around because no one saw anything to indicate this is a real option at TC

Edited by wakingfane

I wonder how Rambo is doing. Haven't heard much about any safeties except that Duke still stinks.

I agree, I wish we heard more about the backup safeties at training camp. Jonathon Meeks was mentioned by Coach as really standing out. Rambo looked good last year but hasn't really created any buzz this year. I never felt good about Duke being named the presumptive starter. It's a shame that Kenny Ladler didn't step up. I thought he might have been a good surprise this year.

The other factor in this conundrum is that Ryan supposedly likes to use three safeties. When Pettine was here we heard a lot about his use of the safeties and of course, we saw it on the field with Searcy and Jim Leonhard seeing a lot of action along with A.W. and Byrd. I don't think I've heard anything about Rex's plans to use three safeties this year, but he's done it in the past.

So we have an offensive coach that likes to use TE's and a defensive coach that likes to use safeties and lots of questions at each position.

I actually wondered if this was the reason the Bills were holding onto both Felton and Connor. Either of those guys are vastly better "road pavers" than any WR on the roster. Personally, I wouldn't want to risk Sammy to injury for the sole purpose of putting him in to block on a play. That would be careless coaching. I do think they'll keep two TE's on the roster none the less in addition to two FB's.

I haven't noticed Connor much in the preseason but this is definitely a possibility... Is Connor a receiving option? Felton definitely should be. Interesting approach.

As good as Sammy might be a blocking, he's still 30 lbs lighter than the TEs you would have him replace. That weight matters when you're going up against NFL linebackers. Also, I don't expect that this coaching staff will want to put their stud, injury prone WR in a position where he's constantly being mauled.

I do think we'll see a lot of Kouandjio in on heavy sets as a 3rd tackle.

Edited by Billsrhody

Yeah...or he could just be standing there doing nothing while the player he was supposed to be blocking turns around and tomahawk chops the ball out of the running back's hands down at the 2 yard line like what happened in the KC game last year when Bryce Brown fumbled after a perfectly placed chop as Sammy stood and watched his guy do this...

I would rather play Kyle Williams as a TE

Ok, a few questions about the rules and such.

[1] In a 3 TE scheme, I believe that you have 3 TE's on the line of scrimmage, continuous with the tackles/guard/center. (Otherwise the guy split out is a wide receiver, regardless of what his usual job description is).

[2] In this formation, the innermost "TE" (of the two TE's lined up next to each other) is not an eligible pass receiver. (true?)

[3] In this formation, if the outer 'TE" in [2], after lining up adjacent to the inner "TE", the splits out or goes into the backfield, then the former "inner" TE (now an "outer TE) is eligible to receive a pass. (true?) Does he have to report in to the official (if his jersey number is strange) or is he (with a TE #) okay to catch a pass?

I would think it neat, if we one of these 3 TE's is somebody who is not thought of as a pass catcher. Offensive tackles can certainly report and catch a pass but they are not a physical type known for fine motor skills. Some of the pass rushing defensive ends would have a physical profile to be a good, surprise tight end. They are often good athletes and have the size to shed blocks and block, as well as the speed to chase down quarterbacks or go down the seam. Jerry Hughes, Manny Lawson or Mario could play this and not give up any size compared to a regular TE.