Who is 2nd string QB?

jumbalaya

I like Tyrod but putting all the eggs in one basket would be very stupid at this point. Trading EJ right now would be insane, he should be the back-up in case Tyrod is not up to the challenge.

I totally agree. And, as good as we are for this year I think we need to keep all 3.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK- so what if a team offered a #1 pick for EJ? Do you make that deal? So many teams are QB starved. I would not be surprised if someone offered a #1

Well...That would be almost impossible to pass up...Especially considering most teams that may be looking for QB's are not great... B-)

You keep EJ and let Cassel go. My gut tells me EJ will be starting a few games this year.

I could see that happening but I'm thinking next year will be EJ's year. If he keeps on working as hard as he has and tightens up the last couple aspects of his game, I think the EJ project will finally be ready.

I could see that happening but I'm thinking next year will be EJ's year. If he keeps on working as hard as he has and tightens up the last couple aspects of his game, I think the EJ project will finally be ready.

If Tyrod does what we hope, no way EJ gets the job next year.

It's interesting that EJ made so much progress during the first training camp he really had to compete for a job.

Mike Mayock, who I really respect, says that there's no way EJ stays. EJ was either gonna win the job or get moved/cut. States that Whaley would not be able to let a 1st rd pick be a backup on this team. GMs have "too much pride". Wtf?

Those guys throw statements at the wall, and hope one sticks now and then.

I thought keep all three but I would just keep EJ. Save the money and cut Cassell. EJ and Taylor are going to be fine. Nobody is offering anything for EJ. They might be able to cut and sign Cassell after week 1. They need roster spots for Goodwin and McKelvin. They need a third TE and another DB/S. Just go with Taylor and EJ.

EJ has to be backup. He's the best option on the roster, and he's the cheapest. Cassel should be cut, but probably won't be. I think if Simms does some lights out work in the preseason closer, it might give the leeway to cut Cassel. Otherwise, we know that 3rd string is simply 2 plays away, and the Tuel experience showed Whaley how bad that works out.

I think the better question is who backs up Shady. I totally see that Freddy is not the Freddy of a few years ago. It sucks, it hurts, but he was expendable. Who knows if Karlos is going to be that player or not. Maybe Boobie? it sucks having lost all the RB to the preseason to know how well they mesh together.

FWIW - EJ showed marked improvement, and said all the right things today. He is a team player, and won't be a distraction as backup imho. I'd be happy with him stepping in if/when Tyrod goes down. My biggest fear with T-mobile is injury. That is the mojo of mobile QBs, they get in the open field and get cut down. Name the mobile (e.g. rushing + passing) QBs who have consistently played entire seasons? There aren't many.

Edited by MTBill

FWIW - EJ showed marked improvement, and said all the right things today. He is a team player, and won't be a distraction as backup imho. I'd be happy with him stepping in if/when Tyrod goes down. My biggest fear with T-mobile is injury. That is the mojo of mobile QBs, they get in the open field and get cut down. Name the mobile (e.g. rushing + passing) QBs who have consistently played entire seasons? There aren't many.

Fran Tarkenton?

I suspect it will be close to what the 49ers did with Kap. He wasn't a great QB, bu with the Roman poption, it was a nice hybrid. I suspect we'll be close to that. TT can hurt you from pocket as he has a good arm, plus can take off if you don't respect it. But at same time give him a short/long option to one side and he'll kill you as he's faster than Kap, plus can make that throw.

I suspect you may be wrong.

This article by Brian Billick has me feeling better about EJs future as a Bill.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000519135/article/tyrod-taylor-over-ej-manuelmatt-cassel-right-move-for-bills

Skycap, I'm an EJ fan, but that may be one of the dumbest articles ever. How is Ryan culpable in the Watkins trade? He had nothing to do with it. I stopped reading at that point.

Skycap, I'm an EJ fan, but that may be one of the dumbest articles ever. How is Ryan culpable in the Watkins trade? He had nothing to do with it. I stopped reading at that point.

I also don't know how you feel better about his future when the article starts by saying no QB on our roster is capable of winning a championship.

Here's how I see it.

1. Things changed the last two weeks. I believe Mayock and even Leroi were correct in saying Manuel would be cut. But nobody expected him to make the strides he made. When you look at things from the perspective of the coaching staff choosing Tyrod over a month ago, EJ really threw a wrench in their plans with his preseason performances.

2. We currently have an exciting but unproven player at QB. He could be injury prone, he could be exposed, or he could break down mentally like Trent Edwards. We just don't know what we have with Tyrod Taylor yet. We need insurance.

3. EJ has shown incredible glimpses of putting it all together the last few weeks. IF he really does put it all together, he becomes VERY valuable to the Bills. Either as the eventual starter or as 1st round pick bait if Tyrod becomes a winner. For all those clamoring to trade him now, I think they're worried that what we saw was a fluke and they're hoping to get a late round pick for it. But if what we saw was a sign of things to come, we'll have the hottest QB on the market next year for QB-needy teams.

4. Since Tyrod is unproven, and EJ is still a bit of a question mark, we know what we have with Cassel. And what we have is good enough to avoid turnovers and move the ball into field goal range. There will be no Geno Smith or Jeff Tuel pick-six meltdowns. That's why he is valuable on this team for $5M which is junk change for a QB in today's NFL.