RB Fred Jackson released

FireChan

Bryce Brown is electric. He hasn't broke out yet at this level but he has the ability to torch a defense. I hope he shows his detractors wrong. He was having a great game vs the chiefs last year until the fumble. And as much as everyone wants to point at that and define his football career with it, that was a hell of a strip. Just a great play by the defender. I'm hopeful he's got a lot to offer.

Hats off to Fred. Hell of a career. One of the all time great Bills. A true D3 hero too.

He gave strong hints. In his first two NFL starts he had 178 and 169 yards rushing.

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude...you openly said that you'd cheer for the Patriots to beat the Bills if Fred goes there; what were you expecting the response to be?

Dude... You have to allow people to have the emotional response after hearing that one of the greats just got cut. Makes me think of Saturday night with Thurman and Tasker up in the box talking about how they hope Fred and Kyle get to taste a home playoff game at the Ralph. This is such a crap move by Whaley and whomever.

Dude... You have to allow people to have the emotional response after hearing that one of the greats just got cut. Makes me think of Saturday night with Thurman and Tasker up in the box talking about how they hope Fred and Kyle get to taste a home playoff game at the Ralph. This is such a crap move by Whaley and whomever.

I never told anyone that they couldn't have an emotional response...I myself like Fred a lot. I'm not silly enough to say that I'm going to cheer for the Bills' most hated rivals if he signs there.

I also fail to see why it's a crap move. They cut a 34-year-old RB in favor of younger guys. Teams do this all the time.

Freddy will never have to pay for a drink in this town. Bryce Brown will be stuck with every tab. Not his fault Fred was cut so he could stay on as a face saving gesture for the GM, but fair or not he'll be the villain who gets booed whenever he takes the field.

So you think if McCoy gets hurt, that Freddie is going to step right in and the Bills aren't going to skip a beat. He is on his last leg.

If McCoy goes down for a lengthy period of time, the Bills could be in trouble, and Freddie is not the answer to that problem.

I get it but Fred seemed to always show up.

Freddy will never have to pay for a drink in this town. Bryce Brown will be stuck with every tab. Not his fault Fred was cut so he could stay on as a face saving gesture for the GM, but fair or not he'll be the villain who gets booed whenever he takes the field.

:blink:

I don't see why fans would boo Bryce Brown, let alone every time he takes the field.

I don't see why fans would boo Bryce Brown, let alone every time he takes the field.

i love Fred and Brown has the memorable fumble but he wasn't the sole reason we lost that game and he has played well otherwise. I've questioned his heart but that's only from my limited observation. I don't question his talent and again, he has looked very good when he played this preseason. Not only do I not think he would be booed, but I still think Karlos is the new Fred, not Bryce. Edited by YoloinOhio

it may be no consolation to the fans, but after considering how he fit into a Taylor led O, the best thing for him was to release him early enough to join another squad and get paid.. they did.. he will..

Edited by BackInDaDay

Hasn't won anything yet. Also, picking a EJ hurt in more ways than him being a bust.

I don't get this logic.

They needed a potential franchise QB, and they didn't have anyone on the roster that fit that description. They had to take a shot at somebody, so they took the guy with the best measurables, who also happened to be smart and had a great work ethic.

They didn't pass on anyone that looks even close to a potential franchise guy, and they even traded back and got Kiko in the process.

Whaley also isn't letting EJ's draft status stand in the way of real competition.

What, exactly, is the problem here?

Enough already. You keep making this a function of Whaley making roster decisions. That is wrong on every count. This was a 100% Ryan/Roman decision.

And please stop acting as though Brown has made the squad. There is a good chance he gets cut next week, anyway.

GO BILLS!!!

I don't get this logic.

They needed a potential franchise QB, and they didn't have anyone on the roster that fit that description. They had to take a shot at somebody, so they took the guy with the best measurables, who also happened to be smart and had a great work ethic.

They didn't pass on anyone that looks even close to a potential franchise guy, and they even traded back and got Kiko in the process.

Whaley also isn't letting EJ's draft status stand in the way of real competition.

You don't get the logic because there is none... ;)

Any fan who boos our players on the field is not a real fan. Cast criticisms in message boards on Monday. Sunday the team needs to actively draw on the crowd. If there is a legitimate boo against BB or any player, that's just low class amateur hour BS. If anyone reading this is one of those guys, please just stay at home, yell at your TV, and kick your dog like you normally do.

Edited by DC Greg

Enough already. You keep making this a function of Whaley making roster decisions. That is wrong on every count. This was a 100% Ryan/Roman decision.

And please stop acting as though Brown has made the squad. There is a good chance he gets cut next week, anyway.

GO BILLS!!!

Whaley controls the 53.

I cut and pasted from Bleacher Report, maybe this has something to do with it.

The $2.35 million base salary doesn't become guaranteed until after Week 1 of the 2015 season. In the event that Jackson's play declines this season to a point where the Bills either need to cut him or he retires before Week 1, the Bills are only on the hook for the $100,000 workout bonus.Jul 30, 2014

Edited by Dopey

Whaley controls the 53.

Whaley controls the 90, with a ton of input from the staff.

He does not control who the coaches elect to keep.

Really, this "Whaley's ego" narrative is asinine and really underscores just how clueless some are about the process.

GO BILLS!!!

Whaley controls the 90, with a ton of input from the staff.

He does not control who the coaches elect to keep.

Really, this "Whaley's ego" narrative is asinine and really underscores just how clueless some are about the process.

GO BILLS!!!

It's sad that it has to be explained. :wallbash:

I don't get this logic.

There are a lot of big QBs who work hard. Did you watch him play one game in college? Anyway, I'm not going down the EJ rabbit hole but no one considered EJ a possible franchise QB. So there's that logic. Ask the Jags, Vikings and Titans about reaching for projects at QB.

There were more than a few players that were selected in the first round that have been pro bowlers in position of need (Nuke, Fredrick, Trufant, Reid,Rhodes would all be starters here). So reaching for a bad QB potentially cost us another good player. So there's that logic.

QB is the most important position in all of sports. Missing that badly precedes anything Whaley does until there is a winner on the field becasue according to many, he was left some talent.

You don't get the logic because there is none... ;)

Go on...

Edited by John Cocktosten

Hey folks, the horse is already out of the barn, but, let's try to keep this thread about Fred & his accomplishments & not turn it into a debate about the FO or the other backs on the roster. Thanks.

Out of the barn, down the lane and galloping wildly through a distant meadow.

Wow. To say I was shocked when I got this notification from the Bills app is an understatement. I can't say I love the decision but there you are it is made.

I really popped by this thread to say thank you Fred Jackson. Thanks for giving nothing less than 100% every time you pulled on that Bills uniform over the past 10 years. I can only apologise on behalf of the Bills that we didn't give you the teammates to get you where you decided to go. You have brightened up many a Bills afternoon with one of your all effort runs. The one that set up the field goal to beat the Patriots** in 2011 and the one on opening day last season stick particularly long in the memory.

You belong on the wall of fame and I look forward to the day you are up there. Good luck to you Fred and to your family whatever you go on to do next.

Plenty of coaches over the years have talked about what it means to be a Bill - well talk is always cheap - they should have just pointed at Fred Jackson. Number 22 will never be the same again.

Fred Jackson is one of us.