GR postgame unbelievably predicts Cassel as the starter

Have some faith in your offensive coordinator he knows what he is doing. If only pre season counted but it doesn't EJ can not be trusted I think we all know that. It's the unknown in REAL game of Tyrod versus the known of Cassel. It's not like Cassel takes a snap and pukes on himself some of us need to grow up. I prefer Tyrod but its a big risk to roll with Tyrod then have to switch etc. NOT an easy decision. Again I trust the OC I think he knows a little more about the NFL than Howard or even know everything because I watch the all 22 Jeremy

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have some faith in your offensive coordinator he knows what he is doing. If only pre season counted but it doesn't EJ can not be trusted I think we all know that. It's the unknown in REAL game of Tyrod versus the known of Cassel. It's not like Cassel takes a snap and pukes on himself some of us need to grow up. I prefer Tyrod but its a big risk to roll with Tyrod then have to switch etc. NOT an easy decision. Again I trust the OC I think he knows a little more about the NFL than Howard or even know everything because I watch the all 22 Jeremy

What counts then? Practice, where QBs aren't allowed to get hit? Having a pro bowl appearance 5 years ago even though you subsequently got benched for Brady Quinn?

You're embarrassing yourself.

Curious to see how long OBD can keep the secret on who the starting QB is before the news leak. Waiting for the first non related tweet by a player before someone jumps on it and points to the QB they had in mind winning the job.

I think the secret is pretty much out.

Reminds me of 2012 when reporters liked Wilson but predicted Flynn to start given experience + contract.

reminds me of smith/kapernick 2011-2012 (casell/taylor). the more i think about it, the more i like it. it worked out pretty well for SF.

The 2 reasons Taylor should be the starter:

1. In preseason action he has shown EVERYTHING you want from a pocket passing QB in the preseason including accuracy, awareness and ability to climb the pocket and a tremendous arm with touch and no turnovers.

2. He makes the other players on his team better.

A.The threat of the read option should provide more space for McCoy, which he needs because he is otherwise not a good fit for Roman's between the hashes running attack.

B. TT's presence also promises to deter teams from attacking the vulnerable middle of the Bills OL where penetration can be used as a simple tactic to stop both Cassel and the running back in their tracks. Anything to make Wood look better will be huge.

C. The OT's will be relieved of much pass rushing pressure by the threat of a big run...like last nights' 20 yard TD run...if the defense loses containment. Since most defensive fronts are built to rush the passer now this really reduces the impact of some an opponents best players.

D. A bigger arm to stretch the defense vertically is better for the health and production of a WR corps whose game is big plays and who aren't really built to take the punishment of catching 5.9 yard passes in front of the defense all game. A backed off secondary means less run support near the LOS.

To me, starting Cassel would be putting a ton of pressure on the Bills defense to not allow big pass plays...and subsequently points.

They have been vulnerable to big pass plays all preseason and the interior of the DL gets little push on the pocket or in the run game without Dareus in there......and the reality of opening day is that the Colts have a great offense.

You can't expect to win a 10-7 contest against Andrew Luck. They are liable to get 17 points by virtue of pass interference calls. You should expect to need points and I really think the best chance for the offense to put them on the board.....based on what we've seen in game action....is Tyrod.

Enough with the "risk" argument already. It's a bigger risk to constantly face 3rd and 5 and need 10-12 play drives to score. Cassel may not cough up the rock, but he's not scoring many points either. He's also not the future of this franchise. Time to take EJ or TT out of the garage and wind them out.

Cassel=Kelly........unfortunately it's Kelly Holcomb......

:worthy:

B. TT's presence also promises to deter teams from attacking the vulnerable middle of the Bills OL where penetration can be used as a simple tactic to stop both Cassel and the running back in their tracks. Anything to make Wood look better will be huge.

Great post, Badol. Could you clarify what you mean by the above? Are you saying interior DL will be less aggressive in blowing up the pocket because they want to play containment defense against a scrambler? Or are you saying there will be fewer run-blitzes from LBs since they have to spy Tyrod instead?

Cassel will be cut.

If this happens, there will be total meltdown by both the national and local media.

I'm going to buy myself a bottle of Saphire, take the day off, and listen the whole day. The lulz would simply be too much to pass up.

Tea Leaves! I'm going to the Miami game. I plan to have Tea Leaves on hand.

Great post, Badol. Could you clarify what you mean by the above? Are you saying interior DL will be less aggressive in blowing up the pocket because they want to play containment defense against a scrambler? Or are you saying there will be fewer run-blitzes from LBs since they have to spy Tyrod instead?

Yea we have seen how teams attack immobile QB's like Cassel with quick pressure up the middle and in the process that penetration into the backfield disrupts the running game.

With TT, penetration just creates running lanes or scrambling opportunities that break down the structure of the defense and create big play opportunities. The 20 yard TD run was a prime example. Pressure up the middle created a huge running lane.

We've seen what this type of ability can do in the past with Flutie. He made Jerry Ostroski and the rest of a mediocre Bills OL a very effective bunch statistically.

Flute couldn't make all the throws from the pocket at that point is his career so teams were able to gameplan for him.

TT is small for an NFL QB but considerably taller than Flutie and throws fastballs with ease. Decision making has also looked good to this point.

Only regular season game time will tell but the NFL has seen the best that Cassel has to offer and IMO EJ needs a little more time on the sideline.

Just going to throw this out there real quick...

EJ Manuel is 25 years old, he's 6-5 and has a great arm...He is getting better because...for the first time in his career...he is getting REAL NFL coaching...

QB's...Young, old, or whatever do not grow on trees in the NFL...If EJ Manuel is not on this roster in week #1 in some capacity I will be well beyond pissed off...

I think TT deserves the start over EJ...I've felt all along EJ would need some extended time under Roman...But I can clearly see where EJ has the better upside if he can continue to work under this OC...We have not had that kind of talent potential at QB since...well...a long, long, time...If it means Cassel has to go...so be it...There is no way in Hades I cut or trade EJ Manuel if I'm the Bills...No freaking way... B-)

I'm on board with this. TT has an x factor that I really want to see in some live NFL action. Ej looks to be progressing and I want to continue to see that.

One thing to always consider when judging preseason ... it's preseason. Remember that defenses aren't showing much, mostly cover 2 or cover 3 or man under 2 deep. A big knock on ej has been his ability to read defenses. Not saying he hasn't come closer to figuring it out, but keep in mind when watching preseason.

The WGR host (Kollar?) was trying to "read the tea leaves" and predicting Cassel as the choice as implied by the Bills' QB usage throughout preseason. I say in a three man race, the normal rules don't apply. I will ask this, though. What NFL team plays their starter for only 4 series for an entire 4 game stretch of preseason?

Matt Cassel is the measuring stick and Tyrod and EJ have been given every chance to show they have grown beyond what he offers. How could anyone say otherwise?

I am so looking forward to the spin tomorrow. I truly can not wait!

EJ Manuel thoroughly embarrassed that whole entire EJ hating station.

They can rationalize it all they want, it will just make them look all that more idiotic. At least there have been former EJ haters here who have admitted today that they seemed to have been wrong about EJ's prospects. The hosts at WGR are all too weaselly to do something that classy.

EJ Manuel thoroughly embarrassed that whole entire EJ hating station.

They can rationalize it all they want, it will just make them look all that more idiotic. At least there have been former EJ haters here who have admitted today that they seemed to have been wrong about EJ's prospects. The hosts at WGR are all too weaselly to do something that classy.

Joe B, one of the biggest EJ haters of all, was actually quite laudatory in his wrap up. Not full bore fanboy but credit where credit is due type.