Why EJ Manuel should start in Week 1

Simon

I bet y’all are thrilled to have another thread about QB’s. Well, I haven’t posted since last year so I’m starting one whether you like it or not. :devil:

Why should EJ Manuel be the starter in Week 1? It’s not because he’s the best QB on the roster, because right now he’s no better (or even as consistent) than the other two guys he’s competing with. It’s not because he gives the Bills the best chance to win in Week 1, because right now he probably doesn’t give them any better chance than either of the other guys. The reason he should start the first game of the season is because he gives the Bills the best chance to win a Super Bowl at some point in the next 5 years.

I’ve been thinking about the dynamic we’ve been observing throughout this offseason and the one thing that keeps coming to the forefront, both with the fanbase and with the franchise, is that all anybody wants to talk about is making the playoffs this year. We’ve been irrelevant for so long that we’ve reached the point where just making the playoffs one time has become the Buffalo Bills ultimate goal. I think we’re so desperate to be relevant again that we’ve developed an acute case of short-sighted tunnel vision which is making us incapable of seeing the big picture or looking any further down the road than our own hood ornament. Why is this a problem? Because our narrow-minded need for the short-term quick fix of a single playoff appearance may well cost us the opportunity to win a loftier prize in the near future.

For 2 decades the Bills have been desperately wishing for a “franchise” QB to lead this team. For the first time in ages we actually have a high character, blue chip athlete with a big arm and a world-class work ethic sitting right in our laps. He’s played less than a season’s worth of NFL football under an asshat of a coach and behind an atrocious OLine; yet despite that embarrassing lack of support we’ve all watched this kid steadily improve since the day he was drafted. And now suddenly we want to stick him at the end of the bench and stop his development dead in its tracks to take a flier on some other guy who might or might not be marginally better at the moment, just because we are so desperate to make the playoffs one time?! Frag that noise. I don’t want to make the playoffs one time, I want to make multiple championship runs over the next 5-7 years; and the Bills are well-positioned to do just that if they can smartly develop a “franchise” QB to go with the ton of talent they have accumulated all over the roster. Matt Cassell is not ever going to be that guy, Tyrod Taylor is not ever going to be that guy. But unlike those two, EJ Manuel has the god-given toolbox and the natural skillset to become exactly that guy. Do we really want to kick the potential franchise QB we’ve been waiting 20 years for to the curb for what may or may not be an incremental short-term improvement because we’ve become so pathetically desperate that our big goal has now been reduced to making the playoffs one time?

I say the hell with being the scared, desperate little ninnies who are so afraid of mistakes that we’re not willing to dare greatly. The hell with playing it safe when there’s a chance for glory sitting right there in front of us if we’re bold enough to risk it. The hell with just making the playoffs this year when being resolute and steadfast might lead to the grand prize down the road. Put Manuel out there in Week 1 and let him make the mistakes that he needs to make before he can learn to eliminate them. Give him the realistic chance to continue the progress he’s clearly been making and to possibly reach the level that can get us over the top. If he stops improving, then we can turn to our Brad Johnson or our Doug Flutie and play for just one year. But don’t start with one of those guys at the expense of developing the kid that might be exactly who and what we’ve been desperately seeking for 20 years.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are some, perhaps many, that think Taylor has a better skillset and toolbox than Manuel. And can make the same case as you have to start him. It's a matter of opinion at this point. The only ones that matter are Ryans and Romans.

Edited by CodeMonkey

There are some, perhaps many, that think Taylor has a better skillset and toolbox than Manuel. And can make the same case as you have to start him. It's a matter of opinion at this point. The only ones that matter are Ryans and Romans.

Just watch both of them stand in the pocket and throw the 20yrd out from the opposite hash and it won't take long at all to see the difference

Stopped reading halfway through. You're describing the reason why they should continue to develop him. Not start him day one.

Sitting on the bench on Sunday doesn't stop his development. I still agree with the idea that in-game experience is the best form of training, but EJ is developing at a pace too slow for that. He's going at Alex Smith pace.

Tyrod looks more prepared right now in his 5th year, IMO.

Excellent!

He's a pocket passed with a big arm. Which is what it takes to win it all.

Young group of skilled receivers and a young QB, that NEED to develop chemistry and timeing to grow together.

Improved accuracy and pocket awareness

He's a Bill!

Protypical size

Gaining time in the league which should help him grasp defensive scheming

Much higher ceiling than the other two guys

Fan support, despite the detractors people are still enamored with the guy

High character guy that would be good for the NFL in general, with the type of charators we've seen lately

He's a number one draft pic! He's gotta see significant playing time on the field eventually. EJ has got to get his shot. Why wait, it makes no sense.

To the coaches, regarding Cassel being the safe bet, no risk, no reward

To the possibility of starting Tyrod, who wants their QB scrambling in the red zone, there's some big, fast, mean linebackers and safeties in this leauge.

But Alex Smith did (for the most part) play didn't he? Only a short spell after injury where they stuck with Hill?

Yeah, because he was a #1 pick. I'm not naive to the organizational pressure that is put on that guy.

It took too long, though. EJ can become that guy with continued off-field development under good coaches. Right now, Tyrod looks more prepared for a playoff/SB run.

Just watch both of them stand in the pocket and throw the 20yrd out from the opposite hash and it won't take long at all to see the difference

Manuel is 3 inches taller which gives him the advantage in the pocket in any situation. And I would also agree that Manuel has the stronger arm. His problem this season is, and always has been so far, accuracy. Doesn't matter how fast it gets there if it is 6 feet over the receivers head or in the turf. But, Roman and Ryan will make the call and they have far more information and experience than you and I combined. Based on camp and the preseason games, I'd be shocked if Manuel started game one. But the Bills have surprised me before :)

Yeah, because he was a #1 pick. I'm not naive to the organizational pressure that is put on that guy.

It took too long, though. EJ can become that guy with continued off-field development under good coaches. Right now, Tyrod looks more prepared for a playoff/SB run.

And possibly because the 9ers were never quite considered to be as "stacked for a run" as the Bills are at this moment? I wasn't really seeking to disagree with you by the way... I wouldn't start EJ because I don't think he has won the job... I was just making the point that Smith took a long time (I'd agree too long) but played through most of that time.

I bet y’all are thrilled to have another thread about QB’s. Well, I haven’t posted since last year so I’m starting one whether you like it or not. :devil:

Good to see your post, Simon as always.

A few points (some of which may be counter):

- These days the window of opportunity is pretty narrow. This roster is stacked from top to bottom with talent save for the question mark at QB. I would hate to lose this opportunity before some major contracts come due

- Say we do NOT make the playoffs this year. Will the coaching staff now be under scrutiny for throwing away the boatload of talent ? Not making the playoffs for so long comes with some incredible fan baggage

- We are not totally tied to the current 3 QBs for next season. There is always the slim (and stupidly hopeful) possibility of a Brees or Rivers coming available

I see your point regarding playing for the larger prize but it hinges on EJ's ceiling. Several posters, some astute, think that EJ will never improve his accuracy. Do you think otherwise ?

Oh good. I was just wondering when we were gonna get an EJ thread around here. :D

Around these parts - Simon can do whatever he wants, whenever he wants

The problem is none of these coaches can see 5 years down the line as it's a win now business. So as much as I agree that EJ is a better long term solution than either TT or MC I just don't see coaches doing that because they fear unemployment. EJ also has the problem that he wasn't these coaches personal pick. So nobody is going to stick their neck out for him.

But what you've stated is exactly why I'm in the "anybody but Cassel" bandwagon. I agree that EJ has a better toolset than TT but at least you get the potential for growth with both. We all know what we're getting with Cassel and it's nowhere near good enough.

Sitting on the bench on Sunday doesn't stop his development.

While it doesn't stop it, it does severely hinder it. It slows it to a glacial pace.

I'd say the opposite is true.

Oh come on! EJ may not be playing to a level you desire. But to say he has not improved is completely ignoring the facts.

I guessed that by the moderator tag. My response was meant tongue in cheek.

Its not just the moderator tag. And I did realize it was tongue in cheek but wanted to offer some historical perspective re:TBD