It's gotta be Roman who makes the QB call, right?

eball

Not necessarily. He's the safe pick because of his experience.

Agreed. Plenty of life left in him if it is the right system.

Why didn't you use the example of the game he actually had his whole offense for, the week before, opening week, when they scored 30 points and he threw for two TDs?

BTW how was his RB that game?

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ideally Roman, but if he chooses Cassel, I hope Rex overrules him and starts TT or EJ. Starting Cassel is akin to playing Orton last year. It maybe gets a few more wins, but at the expense of identifying whether there is a future QB on the roster. And Cassel is also only on a 1-year deal and will want a ton to re-sign, meaning he'll likely be gone next year anyway.

If Rex has to veto Roman as to who starts at QB, I predict the Bill will be in big trouble this year.

I think that it will be a group decision, and they're probably going to be on the same general page.

However, if it comes down to Roman wanting one guy vs. Rex wanting the other, I would hope that Rex lets Roman make the call.

This.

I'd like to assume, at the end of the day, there is a general feeling. Perhaps they have some small difference of opinion on specifics. Rex makes the call officially, of course, as he is the HC. But he would be a fool to not go along with Roman. Rex brings nothing to the table on the offensive side. When he starts getting involved here, the Bills might as well fold up the tent.

Also, don't forget Whaley. He could cut the QB one wants to start---no? Now I know that won't happen (I certainly hope not) but if we are looking for stuff to worry about that isn't likely to happen, might as well fret about this. Whaley has control of the roster.

If Cassel is the guy, you can assume both Roman and Rex have concluded that the future QB is not on the roster.

Well, if you are a stupid fan, or an ignorant reporter, or have no ability to think beyond two possibilities, then yes, that is the case. Of course, there are other reasons that could end in the same result.

It makes perfect sense to me. It has been well reported that Roman's offensive scheme is complex, and obviously, he has put a lot of time and energy into its installation. I can understand how he would prefer the quarterback that reads the field better, and uses his offensive scheme more completely, over the one who takes off running after only reading half the field.

That's not to say that Cassel is the better quarterback. I don't think he is. But, I can see how Roman might prefer to work with him.

Not so much...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000394399/article/patriots-defense-crushes-cassel-vikings-for-win

I love this comment...

"Where are the Cassel supporters lol....hate ta say, "I told yah so!" A beat down in NO and by wk 4 like I called...Cassel will be where he belongs...ridin pine!"

Edited by 1billsfan

Agreed. Plenty of life left in him if it is the right system.

I think the hope is that he can eke out another season like 2008 or 2010. But even if he does, a) he hasn't shown he can sustain it and b) he'll want an 8-figure a year multi-year deal to re-sign. So you're left wondering what you have in TT or EJ and/or drafting a rookie in "QB purgatory" and letting him play as a rookie or waiting for him to develop.

If Rex has to veto Roman as to who starts at QB, I predict the Bill will be in big trouble this year.

Why? Roman has stated that he'll fit the offense to the skills of the QB. And if he wants a shot at a HC'ing gig, he'll do everything in his power to ensure the offense succeeds.

Why didn't you use the example of the game he actually had his whole offense for, the week before, opening week, when they scored 30 points and he threw for two TDs?

Consider the source. That's why.

Why? Roman has stated that he'll fit the offense to the skills of the QB. And if he wants a shot at a HC'ing gig, he'll do everything in his power to ensure the offense succeeds.

Because that means Rex isn't letting Roman run the offense to the best of his ability---with the players, and style, he believes will best succeed. Who do you want to trust with offensive decisions? Rex or Roman? I'm not suggesting Roman won't do his best with whomever he has to work with, and make an offense that goes with their skill set. But why tie the guy's hands? Rex has no clue about offensive football. Let the man you hired to do the job, do the job. At least to start the year. If it goes south, then make a change.

Not so much...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000394399/article/patriots-defense-crushes-cassel-vikings-for-win

I love this comment...

"Where are the Cassel supporters lol....hate ta say, "I told yah so!" A beat down in NO and by wk 4 like I called...Cassel will be where he belongs...ridin pine!"

I can play that game, too. http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2014090709/2014/REG1/vikings@rams#menu=gameinfo%7CcontentId%3A0ap3000000391035&tab=analyze&recap=quicktake

But, truthfully, posting successes, or failures from previous games really has no bearing on the point I was making. And, to be clear, I'm not in favor of starting Matt Cassel. I'm just not dismissive of the opinion that others have that he should. And, that would include Roman.

Because that means Rex isn't letting Roman run the offense to the best of his ability---with the players, and style, he believes will best succeed. Who do you want to trust with offensive decisions? Rex or Roman? I'm not suggesting Roman won't do his best with whomever he has to work with, and make an offense that goes with their skill set. But why tie the guy's hands? Rex has no clue about offensive football. Let the man you hired to do the job, do the job. At least to start the year. If it goes south, then make a change.

If Roman is leaning towards Cassel, then I don't want him making the decision, for the reasons I mentioned above. I don't think he has the long-term interests of the Bills in mind if he chooses Cassel, whereas Rex would.

If Roman is leaning towards Cassel, then I don't want him making the decision, for the reasons I mentioned above. I don't think he has the long-term interests of the Bills in mind if he chooses Cassel, whereas Rex would.

I can understand why you might want one QB instead of another. I have my thoughts, too. But neither of us are the OC. Our thoughts on the matter aren't important.

As a HC, if you don't trust your OC with the most basic, and important decision, right out of the gate, then you don't trust your OC. I think the Bills are in big trouble of the HC (especially this HC) doesn't trust the OC before one regular season game has been played.

Just the whole concept annoys me.

Apparently it doesn't bother him. So who really gives a damn?

I can understand why you might want one QB instead of another. I have my thoughts, too. But neither of us are the OC. Our thoughts on the matter aren't important.

As a HC, if you don't trust your OC with the most basic, and important decision, right out of the gate, then you don't trust your OC. I think the Bills are in big trouble of the HC (especially this HC) doesn't trust the OC before one regular season game has been played.

You can disagree with someone without distrusting them.

You can disagree with someone without distrusting them.

Yes you can. But if you overrule their decision, then you don't trust them---especially when it's in an area of their expertise and not yours.

When it comes to offense, I trust Roman more than Rex. And it's not even close. That doesn't mean Rex can't be right, but I hope Roman gets his way. Rex said he would learn from his mistakes, so show that and get out of the way to let Roman do his job. (But I do think Tyrod could be really fun to watch!)