Most under/over rated Buffalo Bill on the roster right now?

Overrated: Gilmore by far.

Bill, You are a recalcitrant! How much more haranguing is required until you submit to reason? Maybe your Crimson Tide bias is clouding your objectivity on this sterling Gamecock????

Under rated: Nikell Robey

Over rated: Maybe better performances from players playing next to him will uplift his play. I suspect that because he is a such a good communicator with the media (especially with his segment on WGR) that he is rated higher than his performance level would warrant.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not trying to hijack the thread but how can the most overrated be anyone but Wood? I believe that he is the highest paid OL and at this point is probably the worst of the 5. He has been a bad player for the last 2 years yet we still view him as a good OL. Maybe it is because of the injuries but he cant anchor anymore and the interior of the OL last year was atrocious. Everyone blames the guards but somehow absolves Wood? He was a part of the problem not a part of the solution.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Bill, You are a recalcitrant! How much more haranguing is required until you submit to reason? Maybe your Crimson Tide bias is clouding your objectivity on this sterling Gamecock????

Under rated: Nikell Robey

Over rated: Maybe better performances from players playing next to him will uplift his play. I suspect that because he is a such a good communicator with the media (especially with his segment on WGR) that he is rated higher than his performance level would warrant.

1) I qualified my statement. :)

2) Don't keep us on pins and needles.....who are you referring to in the last paragraph? ;)

1) I qualified my statement. :)

2) Don't keep us on pins and needles.....who are you referring to in the last paragraph? ;)

Bill, Equivocating is not acceptable. Total submission or nothing. I am very confident that you will come around. I'm also confident that you will be very troubled when he will eventually be paid at the elite CB level when his next contract comes up. :wallbash:

Not trying to hijack the thread but how can overrated be anyone but Wood? I believe that he is the highest paid OL and at this point is probably the worst of the 5. He has been a bad player for the last 2 years yet we still view him as a good OL. Maybe it is because of the injuries but he cant anchor anymore and the interior of the OL last year was atrocious. Everyone blames the guards but somehow absolves Wood? He was a part of the problem not a part of the solution.

The Bills traded consistently all-pro LT Jason Peters for a pick that is used for Woods, a center. If you factor in that the organization insanely overpaid for Langston Walker and Derrick Dockery while holding the line on Peters it is understandable why the OL has been in a state of flux for quite a while. Let's not even go into the Levitre departure that resulted in players such as Colin Brown playing on the line.

The judgments this franchise has made with respect to the OL have cumulatively been a disaster! Most of the decisions were underpinned more by money than by talent level. Past business model decisions trumping football decisions have crippled this franchise. Gladly that nickel and dime mind set has changed under new ownership.

The Bills traded consistently all-pro LT Jason Peters for a pick that is used for Woods, a center. If you factor in that the organization insanely overpaid for Langston Walker and Derrick Dockery while holding the line on Peters it is understandable why the OL has been in a state of flux for quite a while. Let's not even go into the Levitre departure that resulted in players such as Colin Brown playing on the line.

The judgments this franchise has made with respect to the OL have cumulatively been a disaster! Most of the decisions were underpinned more by money than by talent level. Past business model decisions trumping football decisions have crippled this franchise. Gladly that nickel and dime mind set has changed under new ownership.

I think you're giving credit where credit is NOT due. The simple reality is that under the previous ownership, the Bills were allowed to follow the "cash to cap" concept financially. Essentially, they could pay the collective team substantially less than the salary cap and get away with it. The new CBA though makes it mandatory for teams to spend to a certain percentage of the salary cap. I think at this point that the figure is somewhere in the 98% range. What that means is that owners can either pay the players to that figure OR pay the NFL as a penalty. At the end of the day, it's not the mentality of ownership that has really changed, but the rules. If RW were still alive, he would still be spending the same 98% one way or the other. What exactly is the incentive to pay a fine over paying for players? Nothing.

Not trying to hijack the thread but how can the most overrated be anyone but Wood? I believe that he is the highest paid OL and at this point is probably the worst of the 5. He has been a bad player for the last 2 years yet we still view him as a good OL. Maybe it is because of the injuries but he cant anchor anymore and the interior of the OL last year was atrocious. Everyone blames the guards but somehow absolves Wood? He was a part of the problem not a part of the solution.

My thought was that there doesn't seem to be many left who think he's good. If everyone knows he's overrated then he's not anymore.

Overrated- Gilmore. I don't see what the hype is. He gets tons of penalties, few ints, and has a hard time turning his head and finding the ball. Doesn't have soft hands

Underrated- Bob Woods. Amazing hands, brings tons of energy, durable. Has everything you want from a WR. He'll always be out there fighting while golden boy Sammy is out with a hip injury, tight glutes, or soreness. Bob Woods doesn't take days off

Over: Eric Wood. He's just not the same guy that he was prior to his injury. He gets blown off the line far too often and gets paid WAY too much money to be one of the worst centers in the NFL.

Under: Preston Brown. Quietly came in as a rookie and absolutely owned the linebacker position. He's a flat out stud and may be the best linebacker that the team has.

Fair enough and maybe that is the case.

And maybe we're not quite at that point with Wood yet, but he does seem to get quite a bit of chatter and I saw a poster in the last couple days talk about drafting a center next year and I don't think that got much pushback. Whereas Wood seems to get a lot of the flack that's due to him, Henderson and his lazy, fake-hustle approach seems to fly under the radar. To me, the pair of them are easily the worst starters we have.

Overrated: Eric Wood is the "obvious" choice based upon the last two seasons, but we've heard nary a peep out of Rex or Roman (or Kromer) criticizing his play this TC. In the non-obvious category I'll go with Tyrod Taylor. Bills fans' sheer anxiety at trying to find a QB have resulted in nicknames like "TyGod" and "T Mobile" despite the fact he has not clearly established himself as the number one QB on the roster.

Underrated: Used to be Robey but the contract extension and some national notoriety take him off the list. I think Nigel Bradham is the guy. You don't hear anyone talking about him outside of WNY.

Overrated: Eric Wood is the "obvious" choice based upon the last two seasons, but we've heard nary a peep out of Rex or Roman (or Kromer) criticizing his play this TC. In the non-obvious category I'll go with Tyrod Taylor. Bills fans' sheer anxiety at trying to find a QB have resulted in nicknames like "TyGod" and "T Mobile" despite the fact he has not clearly established himself as the number one QB on the roster.

Underrated: Used to be Robey but the contract extension and some national notoriety take him off the list. I think Nigel Bradham is the guy. You don't hear anyone talking about him outside of WNY.

Underrated - Woods (Although there is a topic saying we could get a first for him so maybe not :lol: )

Overrated - Tyrod - I think people are seeing a Russel Wilson in the way he runs and it is influencing their judgement.

On a side not I can't stand when people try to get creative and alter players names to make a statement. Pickspatrick was one of the worst. I haven't heard TyGod but that is a :doh: right there.

I think you're giving credit where credit is NOT due. The simple reality is that under the previous ownership, the Bills were allowed to follow the "cash to cap" concept financially. Essentially, they could pay the collective team substantially less than the salary cap and get away with it. The new CBA though makes it mandatory for teams to spend to a certain percentage of the salary cap. I think at this point that the figure is somewhere in the 98% range. What that means is that owners can either pay the players to that figure OR pay the NFL as a penalty. At the end of the day, it's not the mentality of ownership that has really changed, but the rules. If RW were still alive, he would still be spending the same 98% one way or the other. What exactly is the incentive to pay a fine over paying for players? Nothing.

However you want to distribute the cap money doesn't alter the fact that their football decisions regarding personnel were dismal. Lankston Walker and Derrick Dockery collectively got a lot of money. Whether they were paying high end money or low end money they were mediocre players. Chris Williams got a sizeable contract after his history of play with multiple teams demonstrated that he was a below average player. His selection not only demonstrated a poor utilization of the cap but it also demonstrated a poor talent evaluation.

Few people will argue that the franchise's business model hurt the franchise in keeping their own talent. But as crippling as the financial restraints were the lack of quality talent assessment and pricing the talent was an anchor in how the franchise competed against the other franchises.

I know it says roster but gotta go Off/Def here:

Under - Hogan and Robey

Over - Henderson and McKelvin

Wow. Talk about 0-for-4. Hogan is overrated if anything. Robey is now "appropriately" rated. How can you overrate a 7th round RT in his second season? McKelvin has done nothing but steadily improve since Donnie Henderson arrived, and nobody's calling him an All-Pro.