B/R Report: Rex wants to start Tyrod, other coaches split

johnwalter

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TT looked good. His first drive took around 9-10 minutes off the clock and should have resulted in points. He made some throws from the pocket that I was hoping to see. Had good pocket presence and was decisive. I'd like to see him let plays develop a little longer, but I'll credit him for going all in with the decision he makes.

EJ looked good as well. A couple bad throws (overthrow & underthrow) early while on the move. He moved around the pocket and kept his eyes downfield better than he has in the past. Went through his progressions pretty well and overcame his awful OL to win the game. Beautiful throws on the final drive.

FWIW that's what I saw too for the most part.

I like EJ, and have been called an EJ homer, and I think EJ has deserved more time with the 1's to make his case.

But seriously, people are over exaggerating Taylors flaws. He chewed up time. He might have not always made perfect throws, but I can't remember anything I would call "The bad decision"

When called to, he made throws from the pocket. When he ran, his big plays were on a blown up bubble screen where his only hot read was unavailable and on a read option where he correctly identified coverage and made them pay.

EJ had the prettiest throws, but he had over a quarter of the ugliest, even if he did so repeatedly under duress.

Well guys Jaws don't like the Bills QB situation!! Doesn't think Tyrod's running style is gonna work once NFL teams game plan for it.

Link?

But yeah, it's really been a flash in the pan for that Russell Wilson kid.

So, if it's not true, you'll throw them under the bus, but if it's true, then you'll keep them secret?

Correct. It's not what you think. This was a onetime opportunity to meet and talk football with someone who is very much in the know. It's certainly not a regular source (of which I have those too). I just didn't feel like cheapening the experience by starting a thread about it and then have people tell me they don't believe me and then have to prove it, etc. So I figured I'd just tell you what I know to be true. If you don't want to believe me, I'm perfectly comfortable with that.

FWIW that's what I saw too for the most part.

I like EJ, and have been called an EJ homer, and I think EJ has deserved more time with the 1's to make his case.

But seriously, people are over exaggerating Taylors flaws. He chewed up time. He might have not always made perfect throws, but I can't remember anything I would call "The bad decision"

When called to, he made throws from the pocket. When he ran, his big plays were on a blown up bubble screen where his only hot read was unavailable and on a read option where he correctly identified coverage and made them pay.

EJ had the prettiest throws, but he had over a quarter of the ugliest, even if he did so repeatedly under duress.

Link?

But yeah, it's really been a flash in the pan for that Russell Wilson kid.

Exactly. Bashing TT is silly. He's done well.

Correct. It's not what you think. This was a onetime opportunity to meet and talk football with someone who is very much in the know. It's certainly not a regular source (of which I have those too). I just didn't feel like cheapening the experience by starting a thread about it and then have people tell me they don't believe me and then have to prove it, etc. So I figured I'd just tell you what I know to be true. If you don't want to believe me, I'm perfectly comfortable with that.

I believe you, but I'm just wondering why you've set those terms. If it's a one-time opportunity and you admit you don't mind telling, then just tell.

Interesting that "The project" has thrown more TD passes and led the team to score more points than the 2 non projects combined. And before you say all of Tyrod's were dropped, "the project" has had several dropped as well.

And the project led the team to the only TD in the scrimmage as well, and in fact led them to 10 points when the other two combined led them to 3.

I’m not sure why Pete (metzelaars_lives) is having to defend his post(s)?

I predicted and hoped EJ would be the starter this year, so I suppose that makes me an EJ "fanboy". EJ is developing, but unfortunately IMO he's still a step behind TT and Cassel. It's also pretty clear that Cassel is their most known commodity and maybe the most consistent. Why wouldn't Roman want that as an OC? TT seems to have the most upside, because he can make something out of nothing.

Ultimately, none of these QB’s are the total package or we wouldn’t be having a competition or this debate.

Pick your favorite (and yes, Roman gets to have one) and argue all you want, but let's be grateful that we have coaches who are allowing these average QB's to be successful. The winning 2 pt. conversion the other night was a thing of beauty and that wasn’t EJ – it was Roman.

Well guys Jaws don't like the Bills QB situation!! Doesn't think Tyrod's running style is gonna work once NFL teams game plan for it.

Ronnie has a point. If TT can continue to develop as a pocket passer (and I think he shows promise so far), then he will be able to occasionally hurt defenses with designed runs. If he can't, it will be too easy for defenses to take them away. The league has caught up to the read option, etc.

GO BILLS!!!

You don't think those terms (about telling or not telling) were weird?

I just thought it was a weird thing to say.

The terms make it nearly impossible for him to ever have to tell, while also leaving the door slightly open. A report would have to come out literally quoting Roman saying "Prior to the Browns preseason game, I was leaning towards Cassel." No matter who end up starting, him saying that would serve no purpose. Metz is in no danger of ever having tell who his source is publicly, unless he just feels like it.

And the project led the team to the only TD in the scrimmage as well, and in fact led them to 10 points when the other two combined led them to 3.

Ummmm..... Last I checked, Taylor lead them to two TD's in the Carolina game???? Only 3 against the Browns. So I see it as 17 for Taylor and 18 for EJ if you're looking at it from a leadership on field standpoint.

I have to believe that the some of the team leaders will some influence on the decision. ...

This is true. The players know the score and its a hard sell from the coaches when someone other than who they know to have outperformed everyone else is named.

It's not uncommon for coaches to take the pulse of various team leaders in that regard, but I am not sure how much weight it carries in the end. My guess is not much.

GO BILLS!!!

The terms make it nearly impossible for him to ever have to tell, while also leaving the door slightly open. A report would have to come out literally quoting Roman saying "Prior to the Browns preseason game, I was leaning towards Cassel." No matter who end up starting, him saying that would serve no purpose. Metz is in no danger of ever having tell who his source is publicly, unless he just feels like it.

Maybe...

He doesn't mind telling, but he just doesn't feel like it right now.

Oh well.

In Metz's defense he apparently will give his source to whoever PMs him.

In Metz's defense he apparently will give his source to whoever PMs him.

I know. I personally haven't pm'ed him because I just believe him. He has had good info in the past. I was just stating that he didn't really put himself in any danger of having to state it publicly, unless he wanted to.

Edited by LBSeeBallLBGetBall

Ummmm..... Last I checked, Taylor lead them to two TD's in the Carolina game???? Only 3 against the Browns. So I see it as 17 for Taylor and 18 for EJ if you're looking at it from a leadership on field standpoint.

Yep. But I was adding in the scrimmage, in addition, where EJ led the offense to more point in that one, too.