EJ deserves time on the field with first team offense.

gsurdam

• Replies 934
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I posted this elsewhere but I guess that it may fit better here:

Jason Cole from Bleacher Report is reporting that Rex wants to start Tyrod but the rest of the coaching staff has concerns and want Cassel. Rex thinks Tyrod can be a big play threat but other coaches have concerns about taking care of the football. I would link it but as far as I know we still can't link Bleacher Report.

This QB competition this year's is actually turning out to be freakin EXCITING! I love it it's been the best hope we've had in years. I love the way Rex is playing his hand, and the competition is nothing but good for all three of them! Go Bills, this may shape up to be an exciting season!

I wish we had a clear #1, and have been impressed by all three after reading all camp how bad they all sucked.

Honestly, I voted EJ but could live with TT. Even MC, but hope that if he is the starter he has a short rope. To me he checks down too often. That may get us to the playoffs, but I don't see it getting us a Super Bowl. I would rather go with one of the other two and hope they continue to get better to the point where one becomes a franchise QB. That boat has sailed for MC.

But as I said, I could live with any of the 3. So far in the games this year we do not appear to be as bad at the position as we were led to believe.

I do agree it's close and a tough decision. What I am shocked by is the fighting and name calling here. There is no clear cut #1 right now, that much is clear. As much as I want my guy, I can understand another's opinion.

It's not Brady V Goodell or even worse Flutie V Johnson. Sit back and enjoy the ride. It is far more pleasant than expected.

That would be uninspiring to me personally, but I've liked what little I've seen of Cassel this preseason.

Pretty much my thoughts, I am willing to defer to the coaching staff though.

I'm sorry but is there a shred of credibility to this Bleacher Report claim?

He is a pretty good NFL reporter. There is no reason not to believe it. My guess is that Cassel is in the lead at the moment but another performance like last night could swing it towards Tyrod.

It sounds like if that is the case (at least at this point) it will be Cassel.

When your name is Matt Cassel, you need to have a much wider gap in performance level over the two multi-dimensional mid-twenty year olds than what we have witnessed to defend him as being your starting QB.

Neither qb had a run game.

Wrong again.

TT vs #1 defense

Ej vs #3 defense

Run Game for TT (RB carries): 11 rushes for 33 yards = 3.3 YPC Not phenomenal, but not non-existent.

Run Game for EJ (RB carries): 9 rushes for 11 yards = 1.2 YPC. That is non-existent. But thanks for playing.

When your name is Matt Cassel, you need to have a much wider gap in performance level over the two multi-dimensional mid-twenty year olds than what we have witnessed to defend him as being your starting QB.

I don't disagree at all. It depends on the philosophy though because the opposite argument can easily be made. If you have great defense, ST and skill players play the QB that is the "safest."

You know Im a guy right?

You know this is a sports forum right?

You know Im not a nerd right?

I went to college like you buddy. You dont need to go there. I will not dot my bla or cross my bla. Not here. Not ever. My job, now that's different.

Very lol. Playing the gtrammar card on a SPORTS FORUM.

Ahhh, you went to college! Well, then I stand corrected . Your a genius no doubt, at least in your own mind.

TT looked great yesterday VS CLEVELAND #1 DEFENSE.

Ej looked great yesterday VS CLEVELAND #3 DEFENSE.

Who played against the CLEVELAND #2 DEFENSE?

You do realize that EJ was also playing with he BUFFALO #3 DEFENSE, right?

Since EJ had no blocking or run game and WRs with even worse hands that made up for the difference I would think. It's a wash.

Who played against the CLEVELAND #2 DEFENSE?

You do realize that EJ was also playing with he BUFFALO #3 DEFENSE, right?

Since EJ had no blocking or run game and WRs with even worse hands that made up for the difference I would think. It's a wash.

Who cares about the Buffalo defense?

Run Game for TT (RB carries): 11 rushes for 33 yards = 3.3 YPC Not phenomenal, but not non-existent.

Run Game for EJ (RB carries): 9 rushes for 11 yards = 1.2 YPC. That is non-existent. But thanks for playing.

I said neither qb had a run game. You think a 20 yard difference is relevant?

You're only allowed to use "thanks for playing" when your point is strong and you're winning a debate. You're not, so dont use it.

To the OP, he''s HAD time with the 1's. There's a reason he's not getting them now.

Ding ding ding!!!

I don't disagree at all. It depends on the philosophy though because the opposite argument can easily be made. If you have great defense, ST and skill players play the QB that is the "safest."

IMO safe doesn't get you to the Superbowl. Safe gets you an "Alex Smith" one and done playoff appearance.

I think there's no way Cassel starts the season for the Bills. That sends a very conflicting message to your young team. The message is we are going to play it safe guys, now go out and fight! That just doesn't fit this team or head coach.

Taylor and EJ are both ready. They've both been seasoned plenty enough for the game not to be too big for them. There will be bumps along the road, but those bumps are far better than a season long anchor-like drag of an offense which would eventually wear out your #1 defense.

Edited by 1billsfan

One thing I would say is that in terms of consistency last night was not that different from what we have always seen from EJ. I am sure I will now be labelled a hater which if you know anything about my posting history is ludicrous. However, throughout EJ's career there have been these superb drives, particularly late in the game "clutch" drives that have punctuated lots of 3 and outs and inconsistency. Now I take the point that the accuracy of the throws he made in that drive last night was probably greater than what he has demonstrated at times previously and there were 3 nice throws into the endzone in total and I take the point that the really poor throws were not so much there last night before that drive it was more a case that his line was getting him killed.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that the knock on EJ Manuel has always been his ability to consistently accurate, not his ability to get hot for a series and put together great drives. He has done that before and so whether that drive is sufficient to change the minds of the staff I am less sure.

I'd like to see the kid get a shot with the 1s because as I say he is a guy you just have to root for.

In being at the game last night I would simply say that IMO EJ's consistency was different last night. I missed the last drive and so am talking about all his previous work. He seemed to be seeing the field well, feeling the rush, and making good decisions (other than the sack). This time I would chalk it up to the failure/inconsistency of his teammates.