PFF Panthers/Bills grades... Kouandjio and Miller positive.

Beef Jerky

Miller looked really good. It's weird seeing a guard actually look athletic for the Bills.

I'm wondering if Urbik is going to supplant Wood. Urbik is just a big block of cheese in there but at least he's stout.

is that a joke about urbik being from Wisconsin

I know it's a little early but right now I feel that our biggest needs for next year are: QB, C, LB & CB.

If Taylor performed all season like he did Friday night they would be drafting in the 30's.

But they would still need a QB because he won't last more than a season or two if he can't become a pass first guy.

I pretty much agree with your needs assessment but I'd like to see the team add a true NT.

Kyle Williams and Marcel Dareus do not complement each other ideally in this scheme.

A stout 350# NT would be nice so that Dareus can be used to get after the passer.

When Rex got here I am pretty sure he had that near the top of his list of things to add but then it was never brought up again.

Having Dareus tie up blockers is a waste of talent and he is apparently not in total agreement with the coaching staff on what his role should be.

i would love to see miller continue on his current path. would also like to see kouandjio take a big step and have a really huge, heated competition with henderson for that right guard spot. and i would just absolutely love to see richardson decide he really, really wants that other guard spot. bottom line, there are some young beasts on this line and i would love to see them all reach their potential, whether that be as a starter or solid backup.

If Taylor performed all season like he did Friday night they would be drafting in the 30's.

But they would still need a QB because he won't last more than a season or two if he can't become a pass first guy.

I pretty much agree with your needs assessment but I'd like to see the team add a true NT.

Kyle Williams and Marcel Dareus do not complement each other ideally in this scheme.

A stout 350# NT would be nice so that Dareus can be used to get after the passer.

When Rex got here I am pretty sure he had that near the top of his list of things to add but then it was never brought up again.

Having Dareus tie up blockers is a waste of talent and he is apparently not in total agreement with the coaching staff on what his role should be.

It would be nice but we can't put too much more money into the DL. Maybe if we could get the Preston Brown or John Miller equivalent in the third round that would be great. I don't care what anyone says, we play a 4-3 defense most of the time, and the second most is a 4-2-5. I know Rex will mix it up and play some 3-4 and 46 and some we don't have names for, but we line up with two DTs and two DEs virtually every play with various members of the back seven pinching up to the line.

I am so glad that we don't have Polian's son making picks for the Bills. Thank God Whaley is still here. This guy has stacked talent across the roster and now we are seeing that the poor coaching on the offensive side of the ball was making players look terrible.

It would be nice but we can't put too much more money into the DL. Maybe if we could get the Preston Brown or John Miller equivalent in the third round that would be great. I don't care what anyone says, we play a 4-3 defense most of the time, and the second most is a 4-2-5. I know Rex will mix it up and play some 3-4 and 46 and some we don't have names for, but we line up with two DTs and two DEs virtually every play with various members of the back seven pinching up to the line.

Yeah I wasn't concerned about it until the story about Dareus not being down with what he was being asked to do.

We kinda' went thru this with Sam Adams and Pat Williams years ago and they handled it by taking turns being the wing man.

But those guys were interchangeable.

Kyle Williams can't occupy blockers.

I actually thought they were going to make a run at Terrence Knighton. He signed for CHEAP in Washington. And like I said I recall Rex saying early on that they were going to seek a NT.

Wouldn't surprise me if we see less of Dareus and Kyle in there at the same time on early downs.

Where did you see Dareus he doesnt agree with what coaching staff has him doing?

There was a story earlier in camp about it. Dareus take when questioned was that the DL coach didn't like that he wasn't going to do exactly what they asked but that it wasn't a big deal. To him anyway? :lol:

I think Dareus is double teamed excessively regardless of the scheme. That said, for a man that gets nose tackle like double team rates, he is exceptionally fast and can either blow up the middle pocket or destroy a run play 3 yards back. Perhaps in Ryans scheme He needs to stay in anchor role. Too much penetration might create problems with gap responsibility. I could see why that designation would be frustrating to Dareus if that is indeed whats happening. That brings up all sorts of other concerns regarding his future but it's far too early to tell what his final role will be. Rex is a good coach and good coaches put players in a position to maximize the skills they have. Dareus being aggressive is in everybody's best interests and we need to find a way to position him where he can play that way.

I think Dareus is double teamed excessively regardless of the scheme. That said, for a man that gets nose tackle like double team rates, he is exceptionally fast and can either blow up the middle pocket or destroy a run play 3 yards back. Perhaps in Ryans scheme He needs to stay in anchor role. Too much penetration might create problems with gap responsibility. I could see why that designation would be frustrating to Dareus if that is indeed whats happening. That brings up all sorts of other concerns regarding his future but it's far too early to tell what his final role will be. Rex is a good coach and good coaches put players in a position to maximize the skills they have. Dareus being aggressive is in everybody's best interests and we need to find a way to position him where he can play that way.

I think he will be maximized from the NT position and kept happy by using DL stunts that keep him moving yet maintaining gap responsibilities for the rest o f the defense.

If he was stunting away from the double team I imagine the DT on his back side would slide across the guards face and cause all sorts of havoc for the LB to clean up. Additionally, I would expect Dareus to beat the C, and potentially have TFL utilizing his athleticism.

If he is stunting towards the double then we've seen him blow double teams up before. He doesn't get pushed off the ball, and he can sometimes win!!! These stunts should help lower the effectiveness of the double team.

This is how I think Ryan will maximize Dareus, but I do expect a NT to be brought in after this year.

Can the link for the Dareus interview, in which he said he didn't like his role in the scheme, be reposted?

Edited by YattaOkasan

Therein lies the problem.

We watched what happens to the run defense when gap integrity isn't maintained.

And yet Dareus is one of a handful of DT's who can get you 10-15 sacks.

Bottom line.......he's the best player on the defense and you don't want to make him any less effective.

Nose tackles are a dime-a-dozen by comparison.

Like I said, I think the compromise might be less of Marcel and Kyle on the field at the same time.

I'm interested to see how the defense performs this year. Rex is considered to be the best of the best but his defenses weren't that great the past couple years and I'm not sure his aggressive style suits what we have. Schwartzs scheme worked perfectly for these guys last year. Almost opposite of rexs scheme. I'm not a big fan of Rexs blitz heavy philosophy as I mentioned it hasn't been that successful the past few years. And yes I know some of it is due to not having the players, but how much of it is that?

I'm concerned, but I was also concerned about Schwartz coming in.

The key to me is creating turnovers.

It's such a telling stat and I am a bit concerned that they will not be as good at that with their CB's running with their backs to the QB all day.

In any event......there is absolutely no excuse for this D to not be extraordinary. If it's not, coaching will be the main reason, IMO.

And yet Dareus is one of a handful of DT's who can get you 10-15 sacks.

Bottom line.......he's the best player on the defense and you don't want to make him any less effective.

Interesting. I didn't know you were this high on Marcel. I'm not trying to argue but it's hard for me to call anyone on the Bills better than Mario.