Vic Carucci on Sirius this a.m.

eball

The result -- a broken jaw -- is what's unusual. Vic made it sound as though he couldn't believe a player would throw a punch.

Exactly Eball. If he threw the punch, hit Geno in the mouth, & Geno got up , brushed himself off & went back to the shower, this whole thing would have been a big NOTHING. Because he injured Geno, wow - it is a big media story.

Interestingly, Florio is pushing for the league to suspend our new LB with pay. How would that affect our final roster & would we be allowed to cut him ??

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ever since Carucci came back to the Buffalo News many of us have noticed a distinct difference in his reporting. He's more pessimistic, more grating...I don't think Vic has as many "friends" in the organization as he did back in the Marv Levy years, and he's also trying desperately to stay relevant in the internet-driven media world.

I'm not suggesting he doesn't make some good points, but his overall tone is much different than it used to be.

This may be, I'm not a daily reader of Carrucci, but he's been a respected NFL journalist for years now. There has to be something other than old age which drives someone to say what they do.

This may be, I'm not a daily reader of Carrucci, but he's been a respected NFL journalist for years now. There has to be something other than old age which drives someone to say what they do.

OR MAYBE SOME FANS ARE JUST QUICK TO GET BUTTHURT WHEN THE WRITERS AREN'T HOMERS AND POLLYANNAS.

no, it couldn't be that... <_<

Yeah, that's the point. Something changed.

Yeah, that's the point. Something changed.

Its the Interweb, IMO.

It's devalued journalism to the point where guys like Vic are competing against some kid in his parents basement (i.e., the barriers to entry are nonexistant) and deadline pressures trump thoughtful analysis and having a lot of contacts...

Don't you think that he's right on that point?

I think he's saying that it's unthinkable for a reserve LB to punch out a starting QB in the locker room. I don't think he's saying that fights don't happen in the locker rooms.

Yup. A reserve punching a starting QB (even a crappy one like Smith) is ridiculous.

I buy all of this. EJ was a guy that had to be REALLY good in this camp to win the job. There was plenty of bias against him at OBD. Maybe some of this has changed with some of the new coaches but he has had an uphill battle despite the way that the Bills have tried to spin it as an open competition.

The FO and coaches have all watched EJ's tape and seen him play live. EJ has an uphill battle due to his past and present play, not some undeserved bias. He either steps it up or he won't be long for the team or the NFL.

Sal at WGR has reported 2 straight days now that EJ is in the midst of playing himself off the team...and he was never much of an EJ basher at all.

This morning he was on with Howard Simon's crew and Sal suggested that EJ is simply not progressing, whereas Tyrod has gotten better every day.

For what that is worth.

Sal at WGR has reported 2 straight days now that EJ is in the midst of playing himself off the team...and he was never much of an EJ basher at all.

This morning he was on with Howard Simon's crew and Sal suggested that EJ is simply not progressing, whereas Tyrod has gotten better every day.

For what that is worth.

Sal must be a hack then. Shame on him to saying negative things about EJ.

Its the Interweb, IMO.

It's devalued journalism to the point where guys like Vic are competing against some kid in his parents basement (i.e., the barriers to entry are nonexistant) and deadline pressures trump thoughtful analysis and having a lot of contacts...

This is exactly what I think has happened.

Best interest, or do their bidding? The war in Iraq was something Israel has wanted the US to do since the mid-90's. Now we have to fight Iran, too?

Just this week read an article in which Schumer claims his name comes from "shomer," which supposedly means "guardian," and that he believes he has been chosen by God to protect Israel. It's weird, but so long as he keeps fighting for the Bills in DC, I'm okay. Here's the link:

http://www.salon.com/2015/08/11/a_shomer_of_israel_in_the_senate_sen_schumer_divine_responsibility_the_iran_nuclear_deal/?source=newsletter

i thought this was a bash Vic C. for being out of tune with the Bills thread?
which he might be> its not details its onions these days.

whatevs

i agree with Eball Vic cant find anything nice to say.

If one side is looking bad isnt the other side looking good?

balance it Vic.

or make it up> but find something nice to say. thats how you make friends butmunch

"This morning he was on with Howard Simon's crew and Sal suggested that EJ is simply not progressing, whereas Tyrod has gotten better every day.

For what that is worth."

I suspect EJ is progressing.

It's just glacial progress.

Just look at his FSU career.

Most QB's have a break out year in college where they improve a bunch all at once.

That is the light coming on.

Manuel started in their bowl game for 4 straight years.....so he was playing and being coached etc....but he just improved a bit each year and he entered the NFL with a lot of fundamentals to work thru for a guy with that much experience.

Jameis Winston came in and instantly looked miles ahead of EJ fundamentally after just a year as a red-shirt behind Manuel, which underscored the likelihood that it wasn't coaching.

My opinion when drafted was that he was a 5 year project. He has good physical talent and I think it will eventually come to him the way that it took Phil Simms a long time to get his game together. That was my NFL comparison.

But 5 years is an eternity in the NFL now so he will probably have to take his ability to some place where they have an established starter. I like the Carolina suggestion.

Edited by #BADOL

Kirby, they wasted about ten tweets last night ridiculing EJ's first pass that flew "into the hospitality tent." Only Chris Trapasso (hardly an EJ apologist) tweeted the actual trajectory of the play. There was no reason for it; it was like that group of mean girls in H.S. who relentlessly badger the unpopular girl. Don't tell me there isn't an agenda.

I don't think that there is an agenda exactly. I do think the local media is extremely biased against EJ. I personally think it is because even though all 3 of these guys look like a lousy excuse for a starting QB, EJ is the one the local media has seen play the most in the past couple years, so he is the one they are being more critical on. Where as cassel and taylor weren't here last year, so they "have to be better!" is in their mindset. I don't think they even realize where there bias stem from, or realize it exists. but I am pretty positive it is because EJ is a holdover from last season and the other guys are new.

I don't think they have an agenda though.

Just this week read an article in which Schumer claims his name comes from "shomer," which supposedly means "guardian," and that he believes he has been chosen by God to protect Israel. It's weird, but so long as he keeps fighting for the Bills in DC, I'm okay. Here's the link:

http://www.salon.com/2015/08/11/a_shomer_of_israel_in_the_senate_sen_schumer_divine_responsibility_the_iran_nuclear_deal/?source=newsletter

When civilization is destroyed, it will be over religion. :doh:

I don't think that there is an agenda exactly. I do think the local media is extremely biased against EJ. I personally think it is because even though all 3 of these guys look like a lousy excuse for a starting QB, EJ is the one the local media has seen play the most in the past couple years, so he is the one they are being more critical on. Where as cassel and taylor weren't here last year, so they "have to be better!" is in their mindset. I don't think they even realize where there bias stem from, or realize it exists. but I am pretty positive it is because EJ is a holdover from last season and the other guys are new.

But I do think there is a tendency to echo the tweets of fellow reporters so as not to be out of step with the pack.

Pack mentality then.

Pack mentality then.

There absolutely is an agenda, but it doesn't do with their dislike of EJ. It has to do with clicks. These guys are all competing for clicks and they've figured out the best way to get them - the QB competition.

Nobody has looked outstanding so they can't get clicks with "WOW" type statements, so they go the other way. The guy who they perceive as lagging behind gets smashed and they try to spin humor into it. Suddenly it looks like piling on when all they really want is attention so they can keep their jobs.

The ironic thing is that it makes them look bad at their jobs. Of course, the journalists aren't wrong either. People don't generally give much attention to well thought out, balanced journalism. What they give their attention to is someone smack talking someone else. Just take a look at all these threads talking about the media...

"Shomer" has at least three meanings. Could be "guardian," as you wrote. Generically, it also means "a guard" (like at a bank) and it's also used as a verb to mean "is guarding" or "is watching." For the record (and this isn't directed toward you, yungmack), Israel does not expect ANYONE to do its "bidding." That's MSM fodder. In fact, the U.S. regularly ties Israel's hands when it wants to go it alone to protect itself. I don't expect anyone without strong ties to the country to understand. Surprised this was brought up in a FOOTBALL forum. I'd gladly take it up in PPP -- You know, where it belongs.

On topic, Carucci's article in The Buffalo News is an absolute train wreck. Not only is it all over the place and poorly written, it's more of a temper tantrum than anything resembling a column.

Edited by Felonious Monk

Yeah- almost makes me think EJ is a prick to them off camera or something

I don't think so. Even his biggest detractors say that EJ is a stand-up guy and the sort of guy you root for.

I think it is a combination of factors:

1. Everyone in the media knew that the Bills were going to draft a QB in the first round of the 2013 draft. It's just Manual wasn't the guy they predicted. So when the Bills picked him instead of Nassib or Geno or whomever, these media types who predicted that the Bills would take a different QB wanted EJ to fail to justify their prediction. Guys like Kiper do this all the time.

2. That 2013 draft class was terrible for QBs. Buddy kept saying that history has shown that every year there is 1-2 franchise QBs that come out. Alas, it does not look like that will be the case for this draft class. It may not be that EJ was the WRONG QB for them to take -- it amy simply be that there was not a first-round worthy QB in that draft class, and Buddy should not have pigeon-holed the first round selection as such. I will say that it does sound like the Bills front office were astute enough to realize that the draft class was a weak one at QB. At least they traded down and acquired the Kiko pick for doing so.

3. With a new owner, head coach and offensive cooridnator -- and a GM who can deny culpability (Whaley was on staff but Buddy was technically the GM when the EJ pick was made) -- the "penalty" for missing on the EJ pick is no longer in play. Hence, the team actually brought in competition for the starting QB job this year and the coaching staff and front office haven't floated the puff pieces about EJ that we heard the last two years.

I have been hoping and hoping that the light bulb would go on for EJ and that he would solve the team's QB issue for once and for all. But eventually you have to say that where there is smoke there is fire. He was inherited by the current regime, and the prior regime had more or less lost faith in him. He has all the tangibles you would want -- he just doesn't appear to have the natural feel for the position, which is what many of his detractors said at the time he was drafted.

"Shomer" has at least three meanings. Could be "guardian," as you wrote. Generically, it also means "a guard" (like at a bank) and it's also used as a verb to mean "is guarding" or "is watching." For the record (and this isn't directed toward you, yungmack), Israel does not expect ANYONE to do its "bidding." That's MSM fodder. In fact, the U.S. regularly ties Israel's hands when it wants to go it alone to protect itself. I don't expect anyone without strong ties to the country to understand. Surprised this was brought up in a FOOTBALL forum. I'd gladly take it up in PPP -- You know, where it belongs.

On topic, Carucci's article in The Buffalo News is an absolute train wreck. Not only is it all over the place and poorly written, it's more of a temper tantrum than anything resembling a column.

Going to have to disagree. Ol'Bibi has some members of our Congress on a leash.