2015 Bills Hype: Is it Warranted?

Wazzu Bill

Just as many of you on this board, I am pumped for this season. Already planning out how to spent upwards of 50 bucks a week at the local pub to watch the games. But sometimes I sit back and think, man, are we really that much better this year than last year?

"Whaaaaat?" You might ask

Yes, we have had some major additions. Starting with the coaching, that is already a giant leap in the right direction.

But think about improvements. Our defense will undoubtedly be top 5, probably even top 3 this year. But we had a top D last year. There is very little Rex can do to improve a D that was already the best of the best.

On offense? Yeah, we added some great weapons. Some fantastic weapons. But last year, were our offensive woes due to lack of skill at the skill positions? Not at all. We had the weapons, but no one to get them the ball. Have we taken a step in the right direction this year to get our weapons the ball? Nope. And I'm not blaming anyone in the FO, it's not like they haven't made the effort.

Our only saving grace this year might be Roman or Tyrod if they can go above and beyond. I'm excited about Roman this year, but he's got to prove himself. I don't know if TT will get the starting gig, but I am rooting for him because he's a new angle. I am also rooting for EJ, but it doesn't appear yet that he has made a night and day improvement from last year.

we are better than last year at every position except QB, but that's pretty much a wash between Cassel and Orton. the hype is real. if we aren't a playoff team then it's on the coaches because this is one heck of a roster! probably the best lineup since the 90's

9-7 last year and the team looks to have improved in terms of coaching with Ryan and Roman. The defense which was top 5 in the league last year is back and leaves you no sign to worry about any decline. Special teams last season were good and that unit returns mostly intact. On offense the skill positions have been immensely upgraded and the O-line has been modestly upgraded. At QB the team is a mess and the O-line is a bit of a mystery but the rest of the team is stacked.

Either way this is the best Bills team going into a season in a long long time.

Just as many of you on this board, I am pumped for this season. Already planning out how to spent upwards of 50 bucks a week at the local pub to watch the games. But sometimes I sit back and think, man, are we really that much better this year than last year?

"Whaaaaat?" You might ask

Yes, we have had some major additions. Starting with the coaching, that is already a giant leap in the right direction.

But think about improvements. Our defense will undoubtedly be top 5, probably even top 3 this year. But we had a top D last year. There is very little Rex can do to improve a D that was already the best of the best.

On offense? Yeah, we added some great weapons. Some fantastic weapons. But last year, were our offensive woes due to lack of skill at the skill positions? Not at all. We had the weapons, but no one to get them the ball. Have we taken a step in the right direction this year to get our weapons the ball? Nope. And I'm not blaming anyone in the FO, it's not like they haven't made the effort.

Our only saving grace this year might be Roman or Tyrod if they can go above and beyond. I'm excited about Roman this year, but he's got to prove himself. I don't know if TT will get the starting gig, but I am rooting for him because he's a new angle. I am also rooting for EJ, but it doesn't appear yet that he has made a night and day improvement from last year.

Any team coming off a 9-7 season with, on paper, an improved roster and coaching staff, should warrant hype...

Edited by ricojes

I think our defense has the talent to be as good as -- or better than -- the 2002 Bucs. If they won it with Brad Johnson under center, I don't see why we can't do the same thing with ___________ throwing the rock, especially with Shady and Percy on this team.

Two schools of thought:

• "Defense wins championships."
  • "It's a quarterback-driven league."

I'm old school and agree with #1.

I think our defense has the talent to be as good as -- or better than -- the 2002 Bucs. If they won it with Brad Johnson under center, I don't see why we can't do the same thing with ___________ throwing the rock, especially with Shady and Percy on this team.

Two schools of thought:

• "Defense wins championships."
  • "It's a quarterback-driven league."

I'm old school and agree with #1.

I also believe that D wins championships

but

I also think there will be a game.....and IMPORTANT game......every season even with a team with a dominant D that the O is gonna have to score enough points to win it.......

I go back to the Texasn and the Raiders games from last year.....they really needed the O to come through in those games and win it for them.

9-7 last year and the team looks to have improved in terms of coaching with Ryan and Roman. The defense which was top 5 in the league last year is back and leaves you no sign to worry about any decline. Special teams last season were good and that unit returns mostly intact. On offense the skill positions have been immensely upgraded and the O-line has been modestly upgraded. At QB the team is a mess and the O-line is a bit of a mystery but the rest of the team is stacked.

Either way this is the best Bills team going into a season in a long long time.

Totally agree....I'll hate seeing summer go but I'm jacked for the season to start!

The bills are much better, but with Indy, Dallas, philly on your schedule, we have to be better. To get a 10-6 or 11-5 we have to win all the games against easier teams. We can play with anyone in the league if we don't turn the ball over, no significant injuries and I think Taylor gives us the best chance to win. We also need luck.

If and I know it is an if... the improvement Cassel has shown the last week in camp where he seems to have gradually found some consistency shows up on tape tomorrow night I will feel a lot better. I am not expecting him to suddenly be Aaron Rodgers back there but if he can be the Matt Cassel that was a pro bowler in this league then we are a contender. I am keeping my fingers very much crossed we come away from tomorrow thinking "Cassel could be good enough."

The bills are much better, but with Indy, Dallas, philly on your schedule, we have to be better. To get a 10-6 or 11-5 we have to win all the games against easier teams. We can play with anyone in the league if we don't turn the ball over, no significant injuries and I think Taylor gives us the best chance to win. We also need luck.

If we had Luck we wouldn't need Tyrod :devil:

Also, welcome!

Edited by BuffaloHokie13

My prediction for the upcoming season... defenses will be stacking the line daring us to pass. Hence the running game will be just above average. Sammy will be running wide open all season, but no one can get him the ball. No QB > wash rinse repeat.

Edited by MikeSpeed

Until I hear something more encouraging from our QBs, I think we're going to be pretty mediocre. Our defense will give teams fits, but without a QB it'll be hard to score our own points. Same as the last couple of years basically. It'll come down to our strength of schedule what our actual record is.

Compare the Bills to the '85 Bears. Was Jim McMahon anything special as a QB? Was their defense phenomenal?

Unfortunately it's a different era now. Not sure if teams built like that can have SB success anymore. Seattle is the closest thing, and Wilson is a big step up from McMahon, imo.