Dan Carpenter injury (update - put on notice)

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

REX Please do not cut Dan today if you are planning on it......Christ

I honestly would not cut him at all......past performance says he will snap out of this

as upset as Rex was/is, it is really Whaley's decision. I don't think it is a money thing so they won't have to cut him by a certain time. I see him making the team as things stand now but after they bring in other guys for tryouts I could see him being on the bubble. What hurts him is he doesn't kick off either. Rex is right - they gave to take up a roster spot with a KOS and that was justified by Carp being very good at kicking FGs. Right now he isn't justifying taking up two roster spots. But unless/until they find someone better I don't think Whaley pulls the trigger.

Replacing Carpenter would be a dumb move. Does Rex think there are better kickers out there on the street? Carpenter was pretty darn good last year. He has been hurt. Hey Rex, cut the guy a little slack. I'm still trying to figure out why we kept Boobie Dixon and cut Freddie.

Finding a reliable kicker from available street free agents is unlikely. I doubt these moves would help win any games.

Teams pickup serviceable kickers mid season every season.

This isn't like finding a QB.

There are tons of dudes that can play. Again, the 53 man cut down is at 4pm tomorrow. We cut Dustin Hopkins. He is now the Saints starting kicker. There will be a cut tomorrow of a guy that is very very very very LIKELY going to be a reliable kicker in the NFL, like about 99.9999999% likely.

Edited by 1B4IDie

Thigpen helps the team win games.

Somehow he averages a 1st down on a punt return. Which is much better than our Kick Catchers of the past. Which helps us win games.

Thigpen returns Kick Offs like a pro, Follows the blockers, Follows the blockers then makes a cut. No Dancing around and hesitation.

Having Thigpen return Punts and Kick Offs saves wear and tear of our starting players. Having healthy starters helps the Bills win games.

If the team can keep Thigpen because they cut Carpenter and Gay after they find a kicker that can do both, I believe that helps the Bills win games.

If Thigpen lies in the balance, you may be right. Not sure that is who gets the last roster spot (none of us can be, unless Whaley announces it). But just as that could be true, having a worse FG kicker could lose as many, or more, games. No?

There is no guarantee one way or the other. I prefer to keep ONE guy as the kicker. Then again, we need the kicker to actually kickoff and make FGs. Sometimes you can't get what you want.

Teams pickup serviceable kickers mid season every season.

This isn't like finding a QB.

There are tons of dudes that can play. Again, the 53 man cut down is at 4pm tomorrow. We cut Dustin Hopkins. He is now the Saints starting kicker. There will be a cust tomorrow of a guy that is very very very very LIKELY to be a reliable kicker, like about 99.9999999% likely.

The Bills have a reliable kicker. Finding a kicker as reliable or more reliable, is very unlikely.

Football Ops!

Ha! Apparently. or Marketing. :lol:

Indeed, but are there any teams who were carrying two kickers or auditioning kickers who might be cutting one?

Yes. How likely is it the guy who got cut is better than Carpenter?

Whose decision is it to cut a player, anyway?

All of the coaches must sit in a circle, hold hands, sing Kumbaya, then raise their right hand with the first 3 fingers extended and thumb over tucked pinky and solumnly swear: "I, (state full name), do solumnly swear that I support the decision to cut this player and will never never never speak to the contrary". After that, Football Ops which is headed by Ryan makes the decision. Also, Brandon and the Director of Marketing must be notified by fast and reliable carrier pigeon or it's no good.

Edited by Hopeful

All of the coaches must sit in a circle, hold hands, sing Kumbaya, then raise their right hand with the first 3 fingers extended and thumb over tucked pinky and solumnly swear: "I, (state full name), do solumnly swear that I support the decision to cut this player and will never never never speak to the contrary". After that, Football Ops which is headed by Ryan makes the decision. Also, Brandon and the Director of Marketing must be notified by fast and reliable carrier pigeon or it's no good.

But who calls the bank?

as upset as Rex was/is, it is really Whaley's decision. I don't think it is a money thing so they won't have to cut him by a certain time. I see him making the team as things stand now but after they bring in other guys for tryouts I could see him being on the bubble. What hurts him is he doesn't kick off either. Rex is right - they gave to take up a roster spot with a KOS and that was justified by Carp being very good at kicking FGs. Right now he isn't justifying taking up two roster spots. But unless/until they find someone better I don't think Whaley pulls the trigger.

This, and it's one great reason why it takes a very special HC to be an improvement if given 100% control of the 53-man roster. It may be good to have a fiery, passionate coach who is "in the moment". It's bad to have a fiery passionate in the moment GM.

Whaley strikes me as Chill Factor Nine.

Wha??? I wake up this morning and see this. Jeezus H Christ - Carpenter is an awesome kicker. What the hell is going on?

He hasn't had a good camp. He was injured and he's missed 3 FGs (2 from less than 50 yards) plus an extra point. He only missed 4 FGs all of last year so, yes, his performance thus far justifies a raised eyebrow. Maybe the injury has played a part in his inconsistency, maybe his dog passing away has him unfocused at the moment...who knows? The point is, he has not looked like the reliable, clutch kicker of the past this preseason. BTW, I am not advocating that he get cut, just pointing out "what the hell is going on". Given his past, I'd like to think that he will be able to work thru whatever the problem is at the moment, whether that be physical, mental or both.

This debate is ironic. The same arguments used for cutting Fred are being turned around to keep Carp. Bottom line is that if Carp isn't producing, he's gone. #FullWhaley. You can't have it both ways. Either you want a cold-blooded front office to make the tough calls or you don't. Right now the Bills have a very tough decision to make on Carp. When a guy goes from 90% to 50% in the scoring department, you need to take a hard look and determine if he can be fixed or if it's time to move on. I'd cut Carp more slack, but Rex isn't. Unlike Fred, Carp getting cut will not be a shock.