Let's talk Colts opener matchups

The opposing team's offense's drive ends quickly. Combined with high rankings in yards per drive (low yards per drive), that means they stop opposing team's offense pretty quickly. Wonder if there's an average number of plays a team holds an opposing team to per drive stat...

Edit, yes there is... Indy is first in plays per drive given up (lowest amount of plays faced per drive at 5.2)

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2014/opp.htm#drives::7

Interesting stuff. I wonder how they did outside their garbage division? I feel as if we would lead the league in all defensive statistical categories if we played in the AFC south.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting stuff. I wonder how they did outside their garbage division? I feel as if we would lead the league in all defensive statistical categories if we played in the AFC south.

Not too good. They got pasted badly when they played quality teams. For some reason they had the Bengals' number last year and caught an injured Manning in the playoffs. Otherwise, their D consistently gave up 24+ points to good teams, with four games of 40+ points given up.

Well, they did acquire a number if free agents, but it looks like everyone on the Front 7 looks like a rotational player. Trent Cole, who is decent, will start but he's not Mathis.

Looking at it, I fully expect them to shut down the passing game, and with Luck I think they have an advantage in the passing game.

But man, they were giving up 4.3 yards per attempt on the ground. I entirely see us using the Pats Model (MINUS deflating footballs. That's cheating) and gash them for 200 yards.

I think that the Colts have been a bad football team for a few years. I know that sounds blasphemous but they were Luck and a bunch of guys. Hilton is a nice player, Boom developed, Mathis is still alright and Davis is really good. If you handed that team the Bills QB situation last year they would have won 4 games (maybe). They added Andre Johnson (if he still has gas in the tank) & Frank Gore (same thing). They are an improved team but because of Grigson's incompetence they are very flawed. This speaks to how good Andrew Luck is. He has carried a bunch of scrubs and now that they have more talent I expect them to be towards the top of the conference again. This is certainly a winnable game though.

It's going to be tight. The Colts have the edge in experience which will help them on the road.

I think one hidden advantage for Buffalo is that offenses typically take a while to gel and aren't hitting on all cylinders in week one. I think that works in Buffalo's favor because I like the Bills much better in a low scoring game decided by defense.

I think limiting Aaron Rodgers, and Peyton Manning to 358 yards 0 tds and 4 ints combined should make us (edit: us meaning fans, the team shouldn't assume anything) have a little well deserved cautious optimism about facing Luck. He also turns the ball over four times as much as Aaron Rodgers

Edited by What a Tuel

Can't wait till we win!!!

We should be able to move the ball on the Colts D with running and short passes. Eat the clock. Keep the ball out of Luck's hands. Force a turnover. Win the game 14-7.

Not having Marcell is a huge loss. Hopefully Charles shows up in a big way.

Would just like to point to how Aaron Rogers and Payton Manning did against our (completely intact) defense last year.....

Although Denver won....Payton had one of his worst games

Aaron was in a thumbsuck position by the time the game was over

So if the colts defense is crap...they might actually be in trouble even at home

Normally I say blitz the QB even Brady and Manning. But Luck is more like Roethlisberger and Rogers. They all can move in the pocket. The Colts can't run and can't run block. Best option is to rush 3 or 4 and drop the rest. Andre Johnson can't run anymore. Their TE's are not that good. Don't let TY beat you over the top.

On offense run the ball. Their front 7 is bottom 5 in the league. Pound them and even run EJ a little, A few packages for Taylor at QB might not be a bad idea too. Lot of FB, two TE, one WR sets.

Ground and pound. Eat clock. Sit back and force Luck to throw underneath.

Normally I say blitz the QB even Brady and Manning. But Luck is more like Roethlisberger and Rogers. They all can move in the pocket. The Colts can't run and can't run block. Best option is to rush 3 or 4 and drop the rest. Andre Johnson can't run anymore. Their TE's are not that good. Don't let TY beat you over the top.

On offense run the ball. Their front 7 is bottom 5 in the league. Pound them and even run EJ a little, A few packages for Taylor at QB might not be a bad idea too. Lot of FB, two TE, one WR sets.

Ground and pound. Eat clock. Sit back and force Luck to throw underneath.

pretty spot on