Eagles trade CB Brandon Boykin to Steelers

Let's see You don't agree with McCoys statements so therefore they are stupid comments. Understood Even if several other ex players and ex coaches as well as other commentators have said the same thing. But yoor opinion is worth more than theirs Therefore all of their statements are stupid as well.

No, McCoy's comments were stupid, therefore I don't agree with them. I don't think his comments were stupid, I KNOW his comments were stupid. It's that simple. And who are all these ex coaches and ex players who said Chip doesn't want star players on his team? Such an extensive list, yet somehow you couldn't even name a few of them. Not that it matters anyway I guess. Anyone who thinks ANY coach in the NFL doesn't want star players on his team to help him win simply because he jealous of not getting credit is just as dense as Lesean is.

It seems you have yourself convinced that you have to defend every comment a Bills player makes, simply because of the uniform he wears on Sunday. Sometimes it's okay to just admit players make stupid comments. It doesn't make you any less of a fan. Especially when it's obvious that those comments are being said out of anger after being traded. Obvious to most of us anyway.

And somehow bringing Tebow to camp proves what exactly?

I thought I explained in pretty simple terms what it proves. The earlier poster said that Chip doesn't want players who get more attention than Kelly himself does. So then I used Tebow as an example of how ridiculous that particular portion of his comment was. Because there isn't a player or coach in the NFL who gets more attention that Tim Tebow. Understand now?

As far as what Chip's thinks he has to prove to the world, I'm not a mind reader, so I'm not going to try. But I get the distinct impression from him during press conferences that he's the kind of guy who really couldn't care less what people think of him. The kind of guy who already thinks he's the smartest guy in the room and really doesn't feel he has to prove it to anyone. He has guys like Bill Belichick and Urban Meyer calling him for help with everything from offense to team building, so it's obvious that he has great respect among his peers. I can't imagine why he would need anything more than that. But like I said before, I think proving how smart his to the world is probably the last thing on his mind.

Edited by KDS73

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Steelers got a great deal on a very good slot corner - which they needed desperately. They gave up a 5th so they'll either end up signing this kid long term or get a comp pick for him if he signs elsewhere. That could easily be a 5th and could be better. Damn.

Let's see You don't agree with McCoys statements so therefore they are stupid comments. Understood Even if several other ex players and ex coaches as well as other commentators have said the same thing. But yoor opinion is worth more than theirs Therefore all of their statements are stupid as well.

And somehow bringing Tebow to camp proves what exactly?

And your closing argumnet agrees my very premise ... He wants to win games....but his way and with his players. I agree. I don't think any coach wants to lose games. That would be stupid. But has to be his players and his system ....he wants to prove he is the smartest guy in the room.

This comment reminds me of Jimmy Johnson yet I think he has a better eye for talent than Kelly does.

The Steelers got a great deal on a very good slot corner - which they needed desperately. They gave up a 5th so they'll either end up signing this kid long term or get a comp pick for him if he signs elsewhere. That could easily be a 5th and could be better. Damn.

it sure looks like a one sided trade to me too. I just can't figure out why chip traded him for just a 5th. He was solid, reportedly high character,and relatively cheap. So he wanted to play outside and chip wanted him in the slot? Was he going to not show up or refuse to play?doubt it. Seems you would keep him for depth purposes if nothing else. What if the rookie they are going to put in the slot gets hurt? All I can think of is its another personality conflict. Edited by YoloinOhio

it sure looks like a one sided trade to me too. I just can't figure out why chip traded him for just a 5th. He was solid, reportedly high character,and relatively cheap. So he wanted to play outside and chip wanted him in the slot? Was he going to not show up or refuse to play?doubt it. Seems you would keep him for depth purposes if nothing else. What if the rookie they are going to put in the slot gets hurt? All I can think of is its another personality conflict.

It sounds like it's the Chip Kelly way or the highway. It might work in college but it won't in the NFL long term if he can't start winning and not sure counting on Sam Bradford is going to get him there.

Edited by The Jokeman

it sure looks like a one sided trade to me too. I just can't figure out why chip traded him for just a 5th. He was solid, reportedly high character,and relatively cheap. So he wanted to play outside and chip wanted him in the slot? Was he going to not show up or refuse to play?doubt it. Seems you would keep him for depth purposes if nothing else. What if the rookie they are going to put in the slot gets hurt? All I can think of is its another personality conflict.

It sounds like it's the Chip Kelly way or the highway. It might work in college but it won't in the NFL long term if he can't start winning and not sure counting on Sam Bradford is going to get him there.

Agree with both of you. Chip looks worse and worse as time goes by. He made that big power play to get control of personnel and appears way in over his head. He's not only going to fail, he's going to set that team back for a long time. The Iggles are just hemorrhaging talent under him.

Every move Chip makes I say to myself 'he must know more about football than I do, he just must'

I understand this sentiment. but let me phrase it another way.

Kelly must know more about building a winning NFL team than he appears to at this point.

Its interesting to keep an eye on though.

I understand this sentiment. but let me phrase it another way.

Kelly must know more about building a winning NFL team than he appears to at this point.

Its interesting to keep an eye on though.

why? why must he know more about building an nfl team then we realize? he has not been successful thus far.

i don't care if they made the playoffs or not, that's not successful. not in that crap division.

why? why must he know more about building an nfl team then we realize? he has not been successful thus far.

i don't care if they made the playoffs or not, that's not successful. not in that crap division.

Because i aint seein it. i think he might be a nutbucket

Every move Chip makes I say to myself 'he must know more about football than I do, he just must'

Why must he? He might or might not. No reason to concede the point though. He's innovative w/his "system," but his people skills might be his undoing. He might be a briliant coaching mind who, at the same time, is a control freak who cannot adapt, or refuses to adapt, to a new environment. He is not in college anymore. He will most likely receive total buy in from a college kid. If someone does not buy in, he will be recruiting 25 or more the following year. The NFL is a different arena altogether. Resources, in terms of talent, are not as prevalent. Because someone will buy in does not make them a better option.

Murray is a good player, who has a longer injury history in a shorter number of active years. McCoy has proven more durable and more productive throughout his career. Murray is the same age and counts on a more physical style for success (for those analytics syncophants, his wheels should fall of soon too, right, or no?) Ryan Matthews injury history speaks for itself. Jordan Matthews is a good WR, but not one as explosive as Jackson or Maclin. Nelson Agholor has tremendous potential, but is not proven. Boykin is also a good player and there is no proven player at his position behind him. Kelly is giving up a lot of talent in a league where top talent is not a given to be acquired, or replaced.

It will be interesting to see how things work out. I don't have a dog in the fight, but his ways seem counter-productive at the NFL level. He might be the poster child for "book" smart, but lacking in the common sense needed to use it successfully.

Edited by purple haze

5th round for him? Dang that's pretty low return

Looks like it becomes a 4th round pick if Boykin plays 60% of the snaps this season on defense for the Steelers. Sounds to me like Boykin already had one foot out the door and was expected to walk after the season because he wants to play outside corner instead of slot. But Chip doesn't feel he has the size to play outside. So I guess the line of thinking for Philly is, get something for him now or watch him walk after the season and get nothing.
jboyst62, on 02 Aug 2015 - 4:05 PM, said:

Really? You're a hard man to impress. How many playoff wins do you think he should've racked up by now after only 2 seasons of taking over a 4-12 team?

i don't care if they made the playoffs or not, that's not successful.

Coming from a Bills fan, that's a petty funny statement. Back-to-back 10-6 seasons after taking over a 4-12 team. People here were in love with Marrone for getting the Bills to 9-7* in his second year.

Wow, KDS you've got quite a Kelly boner going.

Look, I'll be the first to say that Chip Kelly is an incredible offensive coordinator, and I would say a very good head coach. Some of what I've seen is really impressive.

But you're crazy if you don't have some reservations about Chip Kelly the GM. First he let's the Riley Cooper incident become a locker room cancer (aggravated by signing him to a longer term deal and then sucking), then Chip cuts a Pro Bowl WR who then goes to a division rival for nothing but dead cap.

Then, this year, his Pro Bowl guard is holding out of VOLUNTARY practices but has his ticket booked for the mandatory ones...so Chip cuts. In what is one of the thinnest group of CBs in the league, he trades away a decently reliable slot CB for a 5th round pick...next year. The Eagles DB group looks to he a mess. Chip signed Byron maxwell to a $10M a year contract (good but not worth that money) and is throwing a rookie 2nd rounder at the #2 spot. After that...it's pretty much a wasteland. And they really don't have a solid 2nd safety after Malcolm Jenkins. When you're up against Eli and Romo, that's going to be a weakness.

Like I said, great coach, but an effective manager has to deal with the fact that nother evert effective employee is going to be "Rah Rah" and it is their job to get the best out of those people. Otherwise you get a Harbaugh situation. I think Chip is hurting himself.

Edited by WhitewalkerInPhilly

Wow, KDS you've got quite a Kelly boner going.

Look, I'll be the first to say that Chip Kelly is an incredible offensive coordinator, and I would say a very good head coach. Some of what I've seen is really impressive.

But you're crazy if you don't have some reservations about Chip Kelly the GM. First he let's the Riley Cooper incident become a locker room cancer (aggravated by signing him to a longer term deal and then sucking), then Chip cuts a Pro Bowl WR who then goes to a division rival for nothing but dead cap.

Then, this year, his Pro Bowl guard is holding out of VOLUNTARY practices but has his ticket booked for the mandatory ones...so Chip cuts. In what is one of the thinnest group of CBs in the league, he trades away a decently reliable slot CB for a 5th round pick...next year. The Eagles DB group looks to he a mess. Chip signed Byron maxwell to a $10M a year contract (good but not worth that money) and is throwing a rookie 2nd rounder at the #2 spot. After that...it's pretty much a wasteland. And they really don't have a solid 2nd safety after Malcolm Jenkins. When you're up against Eli and Romo, that's going to be a weakness.

To me Kelly looks to be a guy who can coach boys for a relatively short time, but not men for any real length of time. He looks to have a great offensive mind, but also has bitten off more than he can chew by thinking he can be a GM as well as a HC. He wouldn't be the first coach to go down in flames like this.