Watkins takes shots at old coaches

I still maintain that Hackett got a bad rap. If you read the tea leaves, with quotes from players and what not, it seemed as though he was limited by the clueless head coach. I think back to some of the decisions that idiot made and, in my opinion, he's the worst coach I've seen patrol the Bills sideline in the 25+ years I've been watching.

Oh my friend if only you witnessed Kay Stephenson or Hank Bullough

Hackett designed some good plays that had receivers running open all year. A combination of bad QBing and poor protection really gave him no chance. The players seemed to like him too. But the head coach, and other position coaches around him were JV-level bad.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

People criticizing Watkins for these innocuous comments must not remember being in their early 20's. I said and did some dumb things in my 20's. I still do. But hey, maybe y'all are quire boys.

I can only speak for myself, but I wasn't a professional football player in my early 20s, therefore I was not held to those standards of professionalism.

And what the hell does paper being folded like leaves have to do with anything?

I have no problem with Watkins saying these things, In fact, I have no problem with any player speaking honestly about anything, ever. Even if it involves sticking their foot in their mouths. What I can't stand is the rote, "I just want to do whatever I can to help my team win, get better each and every day, blah, blah, blah..." usually spoken in monotone with about zero emotion.

+1

It's about time a player, or several players now, have said something emotional about the past regime, it's shows Passion, something we haven't seen around her in 25 years!

It would be great if we could build on what Marrone was able to squeeze out of a team he lorded over with dictatorial incompetence. However, we are facing a year where Manuel or Taylor could be starting at QB. Manuel in all likelihood will continue to have growing pains and Taylor will effectively be a rookie if he wins the starting job. I'm not impressed with Cassell on any level. Both sides of the football are working with new playbooks,... again. Having better players at the skill positions will help, but we could conceivably take a one year step back before becoming the dominating team that this coaching staff and the talent we have across the field begins paying off.

No. 4 Years in Baltimore under good OC's and lots of preseason action =/= Rookie.

Tyrod's question marks surround the ever-present concern on his accuracy. If that's improved, he will be $.

+1

It's about time a player, or several players now, have said something emotional about the past regime, it's shows Passion, something we haven't seen around her in 25 years!

Let me ask you this .... if you were interviewing a possible candidate for employment and they bashed their former employer, would you look favorably upon that?

What does this have to do with anything?

It has to do with Life 101. Don't burn bridges. Don't trash your former boss. I knew that at his age. It's common sense and more importantly, it's professionalism, as he is a professional athlete.

Let me ask you this .... if you were interviewing a possible candidate for employment and they bashed their former employer, would you look favorably upon that?

That's not what he is doing though. He's telling his employer the guy YOU brought here is amazing compared to the guy at my old job who didn't know half as much.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

Interviewing no. But after I have been hired by my new company I have had no problem thrashing my old company. Particularly I enjoy pointing out the numerous examples of how my new employer is better than my old employer. Also my new employer seems to love me. I have been given additional responsibilities and am leading people who have been with the company longer (although I have more experience and better degrees).

So I don't think Sammy's coaches or the FO have a problem with this. I don't have a problem with it (particularly because Fred has done it); as long as it doesn't interfere with his performance. I don't think this is bashing; also IIRC these comments have come out already too so not sure why the BFD now.

That's not what he is doing though. He's telling his employer the guy YOU brought here is amazing compared to the guy at my old job who didn't know half as much.

Yep. I can understand this point of view. But there are better ways to do it, in my opinion. Thinly veiled is better than not veiled at all.

And don't get me wrong. I don't see this as a huge deal or a big problem. I just don't think it's very classy or professional. I don't care (and I'm responding to another post, so this isn't directed at you, KTD) if Fred did it, or not. Fred Jackson is just another football player.

It's possible to compliment the current coaching staff without bashing the former. Why even compare? Just say that you love the current coaching staff, or that the current coaching staff is the best you've ever played for. People can put 2 and 2 together and you can maintain class.

Like I said. Not a big deal at all. I just want him to catch passes and move the chains.

Murph just had a great interview with Sammy on (I think it was recorded earlier). No shots at the former regime, but seems clear that they're getting a lot more technique work this year.

Have I mentioned I can't wait for camp / the season?

http://www.buffalobills.com/video/audio/Sammy-Watkins-Cant-Wait-to-Get-Started/521d9522-5bb9-47ce-a89f-899b2eb4146b

Edited by Heitz

It has to do with Life 101. Don't burn bridges. Don't trash your former boss. I knew that at his age. It's common sense and more importantly, it's professionalism, as he is a professional athlete.

Well, then how about a more apt analogy? If you fired several managerial positions, and hired new ones, and then another employee raved about how much better the new staff was to work with, would you be pissed?

But, these are pointless analogies, anyway. Professional athletes aren't professional politicians. And, as a fan, I'm much more interested in hearing what players actually think, rather than some hackneyed, rote pablum. I wish more players would speak their mind. I wish they all would.

Well, then how about a more apt analogy? If you fired several managerial positions, and hired new ones, and then another employee raved about how much better the new staff was to work with, would you be pissed?

But, these are pointless analogies, anyway. Professional athletes aren't professional politicians. And, as a fan, I'm much more interested in hearing what players actually think, rather than some hackneyed, rote pablum. I wish more players would speak their mind. I wish they all would.

I wish they'd win something first. Then we might be on the same page.

Is that a "chicken or the egg" thing? Winners get to talk trash all they want, but losers have to keep their traps shut? BTW- we went 9-7 last season.

Yes, it is. And 9-7 with no Lombardi Trophy is still losing. Sammy Watkins is far from earning his stripes. He needs to keep his mouth shut and play football.

So let me see if I get this straght

You think Rex Ryan or Greg Roman is for some reason going to have something to say to Watkins for expressing his opinion here?

And with any luck Watkins will be a employee for the rest of his career......

(and I say this as having already said I wish Sammy would not be so open)