NCAA football or NFL Football

College vs NFL  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Your own personal team aside, which overall sport are you a bigger fan of?

NFL is king in my world but I really do like college. Before moving to Rochester 5 years ago and getting Bills seasons I lived and grew up in the Adirondacks. My father and I had seasons tickets to Syracuse back when they were a top 20 team every year in the 90s and early 2000s. That Dome was amazing (really wish last year's snowed out game could have been played there). We gave those up around 2002 and the college game took a step back for me. I still like to watch the big games, flip through the others and watch Cuse when I can but now I'm married and my 12 - midnight football days have been trimmed to just Sundays. Still really enjoy the college game but at one time it was on equal footing with the NFL. That isn't the case anymore. My obsession with the Bills pulls the entire league to the front of the pack.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One more thought on why I ended up picking college. The game is being innovated and developed at the college level now (not the other way around). Over the last 7 or so years this has been the case for the first time in history. Watching offenses like Briles or Malzahn's are just more interesting to me.

NFL.

They ruined college football. 15 yard penalties for hitting a guy anywhere near the sideline or for spiking a ball. Throwing guys out of the game for hitting someone too hard. Lame OT rules. Endless replays, even when there's nothing to review, etc.

Watch "The U" and remember how awesome college football was back in the 80s and 90s.

One more thought on why I ended up picking college. The game is being innovated and developed at the college level now (not the other way around). Over the last 7 or so years this has been the case for the first time in history. Watching offenses like Briles or Malzahn's are just more interesting to me.

Totally agree. Another reason I prefer college football is that you're not totally screwed if you don't happen to have a great QB, although it certainly helps. Plenty of teams win 10, 11 or 12 games with QBs who have never started before. In the NFL, there are only a handful of teams with elite QBs and those teams are always in the mix, with the QB-poor teams on the outside looking in. It gets tiresome, especially if your team wasn't bad enough, smart enough or lucky enough to land one of those guys. Edited by mannc

It's hard to explain too if you have never lived near or attended a big time football school. In Louisiana, there are lots of Saints fans (especially in New Orleans) but EVERYONE is an LSU fan (unless they went to Ole Miss). It's just so much bigger than the NFL in terms of the support. It's like that in the majority of the country. These are the states off of the top of my head where college football is bigger than pro: Texas, FL, Louisiana, Ohio, Michigan, Alabama, GA, California, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Kentucky, Oregon, South Carolina, Wisconsin, Iowa, Virginia, Kansas, Mississippi, Tennesse, Arkansas, Arizona, Utah, Idaho, North Dakota, Wyoming and West Virginia.

Add North Carolina to your list. Most people don't really give a hoot about the Panthers, and while none of these schools are in the national title picture there is huge fan support for UNC, NC State, and even Duke (particularly more recently since Cutcliffe arrived). Lots of tradition.

Edit: although NC State fans are always convinced they will be in the national championship mix. It's hilarious.

Edited by eball

College football has much more schematic variety so I find it more entertaining. You'll never see an NFL team running Georgia Tech's triple option.

Obviously, the NFL is the creme de la creme and I love watching the very best doing what they do against the very best. It just doesn't give me the same thrill, as much as I love it.

I only started watching football about 9 years ago and I first fell in love with Kellen Moore. CFB is what got me hooked and it'll always be my favourite.

Edited by Blokestradamus

College football has much more schematic variety so I find it more entertaining. You'll never see an NFL team running Georgia Tech's triple option.

Obviously, the NFL is the creme de la creme and I love watching the very best doing what they do against the very best. It just doesn't give me the same thrill, as much as I love it.

I only started watching football about 9 years ago and I first fell in love with Kellen Moore. CFB is what got me hooked and it'll always be my favourite.

i love watching the triple option! It is very hard to play against. Navy and Georgia Tech have had the big programs on the ropes recently!

Add North Carolina to your list. Most people don't really give a hoot about the Panthers, and while none of these schools are in the national title picture there is huge fan support for UNC, NC State, and even Duke (particularly more recently since Cutcliffe arrived). Lots of tradition.

Edit: although NC State fans are always convinced they will be in the national championship mix. It's hilarious.

That's one state that I wasn't sure about but it makes sense. Thanks for the knowledge eball!!

Totally agree. Another reason I prefer college football is that you're not totally screwed if you don't happen to have a great QB, although it certainly helps. Plenty of teams win 10, 11 or 12 games with QBs who have never started before. In the NFL, there are only a handful of teams with elite QBs and those teams are always in the mix, with the QB-poor teams on the outside looking in. It gets tiresome, especially if your team wasn't bad enough, smart enough or lucky enough to land one of those guys.

Good thoughts on the QB!!

I go to LSU but my family has season tickets to Saints games, so I get to see both. It all depends on who is actually playing. Most of college football games, at least with SEC schools are spent playing the crap FCS schools or smaller schools like that and those games are miserable to sit through, when decent SEC talent comes to town it's a lot more fun. With that said there is still nothing that compares to the NFL and the quality and I'll choose NFL all day. Anyone else around here would probably criticize me for saying it because college football is a religion in certain parts but when you're playing the bull **** state universities of the world then a lot of games lose interest real fast, especially when it's 45-0 at the half and half the stadium is empty by then too.

I go to LSU but my family has season tickets to Saints games, so I get to see both. It all depends on who is actually playing. Most of college football games, at least with SEC schools are spent playing the crap FCS schools or smaller schools like that and those games are miserable to sit through, when decent SEC talent comes to town it's a lot more fun. With that said there is still nothing that compares to the NFL and the quality and I'll choose NFL all day. Anyone else around here would probably criticize me for saying it because college football is a religion in certain parts but when you're playing the bull **** state universities of the world then a lot of games lose interest real fast, especially when it's 45-0 at the half and half the stadium is empty by then too.

Growing up in Buffalo I enjoyed the Sarurday CFB Scoreboard and seeing that Slippery Rock beat Colgate by a field goal. They would run through schools and scores but it meant nothing to me. Still, I liked it. But the Bills were my one and only thing. Now I live in the southeast and I get it. These people are rabid fans, much like Bills fans. UGA and Georgia Tech get more talk than the Falcons. We've been to some bowl games and have a son who just finished 4 years at FSU. What a blast! Going to games in Jax, Tampa, Cincy or Atlanta are pretty weak after a Bills game or a big time college game. Yes, there are many levels in the college game, some of which may barely top high school games in Texas, but they're all cool in a certain way.

PS - the graphics on the scores in those days corresponded with how cool a game of Pong could be. No highlights, just a voice and some big, grainy fat letters and numbers on the screen.

College football is so amazing. I love the NFL but college is every bit of not more exciting than pro.

The Bills are my favorite team and no college team elicits the same emotions as Buffalo, but college is more entertaining than pro as a whole. Not to mention the tailgate experience in the south on game days is on par with any pregame experience anywhere. Go to the Grove at Ole Miss or any other SEC school before you tell me otherwise.

I prefer the NFL because overall the quality of football is generally much higher. There are exceptions to this, and I think the USC Texas national championship is probably the best game I've ever seen. But overall the quality of college football just isn't on the same level as the NFL.

NFL, not into NCAA at all.

Just curious, where do you live? I felt that way until I lived in the southeast for a while. I scratched my head at all those silly college fans, but I'm into it now. My Bills still come first, though, and always will. (A son at FSU the last 4 years helped change me, that's a lot of fun to attend!)

Just curious, where do you live? I felt that way until I lived in the southeast for a while. I scratched my head at all those silly college fans, but I'm into it now. My Bills still come first, though, and always will. (A son at FSU the last 4 years helped change me, that's a lot of fun to attend!)

Seattle. Grew up in the Buffalo area but attended college in Reno. Kap made Nevada football fun to watch, no doubt, but not being there anymore I again have no interest. The quality of talent and gameplay is just not the same, and I don't particularly like how the rosters have to change so much from year to year. The identity of an NFL franchise is just much stronger, or at least it can be with the right ownership and management. The NFL is the best of the best and college is often noticeably more amateur.

I understand why it's bigger in areas that don't have a strong NFL presence, and games are fun to attend, no doubt. I just don't feel the same connection.

Seattle. Grew up in the Buffalo area but attended college in Reno. Kap made Nevada football fun to watch, no doubt, but not being there anymore I again have no interest. The quality of talent and gameplay is just not the same, and I don't particularly like how the rosters have to change so much from year to year. The identity of an NFL franchise is just much stronger, or at least it can be with the right ownership and management. The NFL is the best of the best and college is often noticeably more amateur.

I understand why it's bigger in areas that don't have a strong NFL presence, and games are fun to attend, no doubt. I just don't feel the same connection.

Thanks, that's interesting to me. I'm having a bit of a personal quandry. The Bills are my team, but I'm losing interest in the rest of the NFL while the college atmosphere is winning me over. Fantasy football might make it different. I'm more likely to watch a random game on Saturday than Sunday. Maybe because I'm busy watching my Bills on Sunday, but I think it's more than that. Attending CFB feels more like the Bills than other NFL teams. Obviously the NFL has the elite talent, but the college innovation and enthusiasm fascinate me more than it used to. I've been to a bunch of games at FSU over the last few years with quality tailgating which may have swayed me. (Son just finished and starting his Masters next month.) But then I realize I prefer a college hoops game to an NBA game. The NBA guys are on cruise control until the playoffs and fans sit on their thumbs, while college is all heart and effort for most teams. I think it's the heart and energy with college ball that's winning me over. I think I'm evolving, but maybe a little confused.

Have a hard time watching NCAA, if watch it at all. So few of the games are even close to even matchup talent wise, and fact athletes aren't paid are two big reasons. The whole voting on whose best by poles doesn't sit well with me either.

Edited by rstencel

You share this in common with Shady...

That's true for a relatively tiny number of teams every year--those preselected as the best in the country in a nonparity situation.. And a good chunk of their wins are supplied by games against tomato cans.

Or you could go undefeated and have zero chance at being considered a national champion.

No offense man but you do not have a clue about what you are talking about. College football every game is pretty much a playoff game. Like a previous poster said, you lose one game & you are usually on the outside looking in. Lose 2 games & you are usually done(I think LSU won the NC one time with 2 losses). As far as this last statement I am not buying that either. Give me the last example of a team that went undefeated but had zero chance to play in the NC. Could it happen? Sure/ Marshal was close last year to going undefeated & would of never had a chance to play for the NC. That tends to happen when you do not play team ranked higher than 68th in the Sagarin Rankings. They ended up losing towards the end of the season. Those instances are very few & far between though & will be even more rare with the playoff system in place.

I grew up in Buffalo & I am huge Bills fan but honestly not sure how anybody could say the NFL is better. I think college is way better. The NFL is boring in most of the games.