NCAA football or NFL Football

College vs NFL  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Your own personal team aside, which overall sport are you a bigger fan of?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only thing I hate about NCAA is the lack of parity. Like UB is a good team, at their level. But they have no buisness playing Ohio State or Baylor. I know it's for the money, but still. Other than the checkbooks of the smaller schools, there's no winner. The players are used as tackling dummies, the fans of the small school are embarassed, and the the fans of the big school get bored. I love football though, so I'm still glued to the TV every Saturday, and watch the good games, along with my Houston Cougars. The games are fun to attend though.

Only thing I hate about NCAA is the lack of parity. Like UB is a good team, at their level. But they have no buisness playing Ohio State or Baylor. I know it's for the money, but still. Other than the checkbooks of the smaller schools, there's no winner. The players are used as tackling dummies, the fans of the small school are embarassed, and the the fans of the big school get bored. I love football though, so I'm still glued to the TV every Saturday, and watch the good games, along with my Houston Cougars. The games are fun to attend though.

if Kahlil Mack didn't play at Ohio state his senior year, I am not sure if his film would have rocketed him to 5th pick overall. He was certainly worth that pick but he didn't dominate against Baylor or the MAC teams like he did on that stage and it really put him on the map. So sometimes it really helps the exposure of the schools like UB in that aspect because the winner of the game is one thing, the school with the coaches, elite talent and depth usually finds a way to win. But the smaller programs get a huge paycheck, player exposure for draft stock, and the fact Mack got picked so high and then balled out ultimately helps recruiting for UB.

As far as parity overall, it's true that its always the bigger programs at the top. But there is still a cyclicle nature to it. Who would have thought 10 years ago that TCU would be more successful than UT in 2015? In a few years UT will probably be back but maybe Bama or someone else is down. Sanctions can kill a program for a few years until they recover. Like USC.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I love of NCAA football but it's hard to get pass the shadyness of the NCAA and the treatment of players. People make billions of the backs of this kids and they aren't even allowed to get a part time job.

So while I love the passion of college football, I'll take the NFL if I had to choose. As dirty as the NFL can be, it is less dirty than college. But I'm still watching both!

Unless you attended a particular school with an NCAA Div1 team, I don't see what the big draw is for the college game, other than for gambling. I watch a game a weekend and toward the end of the season, but I just like to watch football.

The NFL is far more interesting becuase of the importance of every game.

I think the answer to this question is largely dependent upon whether or not you grew up in an NFL city. If so, I bet there aren't many who claim college football is their favorite.

I think the answer to this question is largely dependent upon whether or not you grew up in an NFL city. If so, I bet there aren't many who claim college football is their favorite.

i grew up in Buffalo and always loved CFB, but admittedly was more into NFL until I moved to Cbus 18 yrs ago. Now they are on equal ground. Had I stayed in Buffalo or moved to another NFL city like Cleveland or Cincy it may have turned out different. Edited by YoloinOhio

Unless you attended a particular school with an NCAA Div1 team, I don't see what the big draw is for the college game, other than for gambling. I watch a game a weekend and toward the end of the season, but I just like to watch football.

I have season tickets for UH. I didn't go to the school, but the atmosphere is fun. I'm nowhere near as passionate for the Cougars as I am for the Bills, but I get caught up in the game. Just don't dewll on it. I'll watch the other games if I happen to be home, but don't go out of my way for other teams.

This one is tricky for me. I voted NCAA because I like college football better than pro football but Bills games trump all. From that perspective it is hard. I guess that I would rank it like this:

Bills game

Buckeyes game

Random good college game

Random good pro game

I love of NCAA football but it's hard to get pass the shadyness of the NCAA and the treatment of players. People make billions of the backs of this kids and they aren't even allowed to get a part time job.

So while I love the passion of college football, I'll take the NFL if I had to choose. As dirty as the NFL can be, it is less dirty than college. But I'm still watching both!

Well said

I would argue that a college game is much more important than an NFL game. There are less of them and a smaller margin for error.

i think it's the other way around. The CFB regular season games are much more critical. In the NFL you could make the playoffs with 5, 6 losses or sometimes a sub-500 record. In CFB you lose 1 game and are on the outside looking in and then watching every other team in the top 25 every week praying they lose so you still have a chance at the playoff.

Also, there are no preseason games. You roll into your first game typically still working things out with new players and coaches and that game still counts, you better find a way to win. And not only just win. You have to have "style points" because later in the season a committee starts tearing you up to determine whether you "deserve" a playoff spot. Close wins aren't equal to blowouts. None of that matters in the NFL.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I have season tickets for UH. I didn't go to the school, but the atmosphere is fun. I'm nowhere near as passionate for the Cougars as I am for the Bills, but I get caught up in the game. Just don't dewll on it. I'll watch the other games if I happen to be home, but don't go out of my way for other teams.

You share this in common with Shady...

This one is tricky for me. I voted NCAA because I like college football better than pro football but Bills games trump all. From that perspective it is hard. I guess that I would rank it like this:

Bills game

Buckeyes game

Random good college game

Random good pro game

Well said

I would argue that a college game is much more important than an NFL game. There are less of them and a smaller margin for error.

That's true for a relatively tiny number of teams every year--those preselected as the best in the country in a nonparity situation.. And a good chunk of their wins are supplied by games against tomato cans.

i think it's the other way around. The CFB regular season games are much more critical. In the NFL you could make the playoffs with 5, 6 losses or sometimes a sub-500 record. In CFB you lose 1 game and are on the outside looking in and then watching every other team in the top 25 every week praying they lose so you still have a chance at the playoff.

Or you could go undefeated and have zero chance at being considered a national champion.

That's true for a relatively tiny number of teams every year--those preselected as the best in the country in a nonparity situation.. And a good chunk of their wins are supplied by games against tomato cans.

Or you could go undefeated and have zero chance at being considered a national champion.

Seems like it's the other way around.

The Shady comment is hilarious. Spit out my coffee.

The CFB committee has clear guidelines. If a team goes undefeated and meets them, they will get in the playoff.

The Shady comment is hilarious. Spit out my coffee.

The CFB committee has clear guidelines. If a team goes undefeated and meets them, they will get in the playoff.

Couldn't resist!

But I don't think if Marshall or Rice or Uconn go undefeated they will be in the final 4.

The biggest problem rooting for Houston is being a middle of the road team. We never play anybody. It's not worth it for a top tier school to play us. Alabama beating Houston wouldn't any huge victory for them. But it's not like playing Buffalo or Appalacian State to where it's a guarenteed victory, where we still have a decently fair shot to pull out a win. So the big schools have nothing to gain, and everything to lose playing us.

Couldn't resist!

But I don't think if Marshall or Rice or Uconn go undefeated they will be in the final 4.

It's possible. Houston had a real good team during Case Keenum's senior year. They had a really easy schedule, UCLA was the only opponent worth a damn, but we were gonna play in the Sugar Bowl (if we didn't lose our conf. championship), which would be the equivelant of being up there in the new playoff system, based on the fact that we were killing opponents by like 30-40 points a game.