Tired of Deflategate

Check this out from today's NYT. It's long but great. It sort of supports your point, but my rejoinder would be that tons of teams in the 80s-90s were running really unsophisticated offenses too. I still think more teams run this sort of offense now than before, but it's still a limited number: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/28/sports/basketball/phil-jackson-knicks-triangle-offense-nba.html?action=click&contentCollection=Pro%20Basketball&module=RelatedCoverage&region=Marginalia&pgtype=article .

did the other teams flaunt it in the leagues face?

Brady*** after the Ravens game when they ran illegal plays

Maybe you should read the playbook. rulebook

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What the heck are you even talking about?!? Jeez.

oops my bad ... typo

I believe you were indicating that - all teams look for an advantage. or try to cheat

how many of those teams who break the rules tell other teams to read the rulebook.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Why do I feel like several years from now we are going to find out tons of things the Patriots* did to win games and Superbowls and will have their championships stripped from them like Lance Armstrong. Well one can hope that they would.

If we could somehow get ISIS to abduct Ernie Adams...

Why do I feel like several years from now we are going to find out tons of things the Patriots* did to win games and Superbowls and will have their championships stripped from them like Lance Armstrong. Well one can hope that they would.

If Spygate ever gets blown wide open, I could see this happening. Could actually ruin the sport. Which is why Goodell did what he did.

If Spygate ever gets blown wide open, I could see this happening. Could actually ruin the sport. Which is why Goodell did what he did.

what do you think it would take to "ruin the sport"?

when i see statements like that, i have to ask.

ask the FAA? They appear to have an issue with how they are doing it.

The FAA has an issue with drones (it's not "illegal"). It's a typical federal agency--no real thought involved in widely applied regulations. The would "investigate" you if you flew one in your back yard.

You seemed to be implying these teams were doing something nefarious. Instead they are simlpy taking advantage of pretty simple technology (RC toy with a camera) in a way the US gov't can't decide if they are comfortable with--without the proper "waiver".

Edited by Mr. WEO

ask the FAA? They appear to have an issue with how they are doing it.

Yes, Mr. WEO should def take it up with the FAA. It's just not fair how everyone is going after the poor Patriots. Someone needs to stand up for them! Go get them WEO!

The FAA has an issue with drones (it's not "illegal"). It's a typical federal agency--no real thought involved in widely applied regulations. The would "investigate" you if you flew one in your back yard.

You seemed to be implying these teams were doing something nefarious. Instead they are simlpy taking advantage of pretty simple technology (RC toy with a camera) in a way the US gov't can't decide if they are comfortable with--without the proper "waiver".

i didn't imply anything, other than the three teams didn't get the waiver as stated in the link. Edited by YoloinOhio

Pippen was a great tandem player...to Jordan, no doubt. Jordan led Bulls won 3 rings and she Jordan took a year off, no rings. Pippen had a below average year. Jordan comes back and three more rings. Pippen leaves Chicago and disappears into mediocrity.

The bolded shows that you have absolutely no clue what you're talking about. It's laughable that you would even write something like that, unless I'm just missing sarcasm.

what do you think it would take to "ruin the sport"?

when i see statements like that, i have to ask.

If it were proven that a team won 4 Super Bowls, played in 2 others, and dominated a league for 15 straight years through a systematic approach to cheating, that might make a lot of people question whether being a fan is worth their time. I personally think that Goodell downplayed Spygate quite a bit, and is also pissed that the Pats** kept doing shady things after he helped out his buddy Kraft back in 2007.

I think the Pats** had/have some very smart and talented people in place within their organization and roster, but I think cheating helped them dominate. Maybe they rationalized it to themselves as 'gamesmanship' or whatever, but still cheating. I think it is absolutely impossible for a team to be as dominant in a league otherwise filled with parity for a while now. 40-something and 0 against AFC opponents at Gillete in the regular season. Seriously? I don't buy it as them just being good, especially with many of the rosters they've put out over the years. Some were definitely very good, but others were decent and yet the dominance continued.

What astounded me over the years were the ridiculously perfect adjustments the Pats** made seemingly EVERY 2nd half over this stretch. This has been chalked up to great coaching, and yes, I think Belicheck is incredibly intelligent and a great coach, but their adjustments were too perfect for too long. These adjustments were key to their constant success, and the video taping and signal break downs happened during half time and allowed Brady to dominate in the 2nd half because he knew exactly what to do.

I think the Pats* dynasty is a combination of decent talent, intelligence, and systematic cheating that gave them an edge in every game. It's not a black and white issue. No I do not think they won every game strictly because they cheated, nor do I think they won their games through having better football players or players who played smarter. Belicheck, Brady, and Ernie Adams were a perfect storm of intelligence, will to win and push/break the rules, and a brilliant system of cheating.

And obviously this is all just my opinion, so don't ask me to back any of this up. Clearly I can't. I just won't be shocked if the halftime 'adjustments' of Spygate come out one day, plus the possible misuse of radio signals aiding Brady on the field.