Tired of Deflategate

The difference is even though he was paid, he already had to sit out 15 games. There is no way you can equate the two.

Oh please. They didn't suspend him; they placed him on the exempt list while the appeals process ground away. The guy had just been convicted of a heinous crime, after all. Sure, he couldn't play, but he got paid in full. Nice work if you can get it, especially since a full season for an NFL d-lineman has a dog-year like impact on his body (and subsequent career earning potential). Hardy made out big time, actually.

I am now pretty confident that Brady's suspension will be reduced, largely because most will make an equation between the two. I realize some won't.

Edited by dave mcbride

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh please. They didn't suspend him; they placed him on the exempt list while the appeals process ground away. The guy had just been convicted, after all. Sure, he couldn't play, but he got paid in full. Nice work if you can get it, especially since a full season for an NFL d-lineman has a dog-year like impact on his body (and subsequent career earning potential). Hardy made out big time, actually.

Oh I agree he made out big time. But you cannot say because this is reduced by more than half that another one will be. This was a complete aberration because of numerous different factors. The 15 games he already spent is the major factor in this, otherwise he probably would have been suspended for the entire season.

Oh I agree he made out big time. But you cannot say because this is reduced by more than half that another one will be. This was a complete aberration because of numerous different factors. The 15 games he already spent is the major factor in this, otherwise he probably would have been suspended for the entire season.

It sounds like we'll know in a week or so.

Also, it's not about what hardcore fans like you and me think; it's the 40+ percent of fans who are female think. There will be an UPROAR if they receive the same sentence, and the last thing Goodell wants to do is trot out in front of a microphone and say "but ... but ... but ... he sat out last season (while being paid $6 million for doing nothing) because we wanted to see how whether his conviction of brutally beating his girlfriend to the point of breaking a limb would hold up. He got off on appeal because said girlfriend disappeared from the scene and didn't testify (presumably because she was either paid off and/or terrified), but the larger story is that he already served 15 games (although I admit he got paid)."

Think about it. Seriously.

It sounds like we'll know in a week or so.

Also, it's not about what hardcore fans like you and me think; it's the 40+ percent of fans who are female think. There will be an UPROAR if they receive the same sentence, and the last thing Goodell wants to do is trot out in front of a microphone and say "but ... but ... but ... he sat out last season (while being paid $6 million for doing nothing) because we wanted to see how whether his conviction of brutally beating his girlfriend to the point of breaking a limb would hold up. He got off on appeal because said girlfriend disappeared from the scene and didn't testify (presumably because she was either paid off and/or terrified), but the larger story is that he already served 15 games (although I admit he got paid)."

Think about it. Seriously.

I have. I don't know which of two things are the controlling factor in Goodell's head right now. If it's regaining power, which is very well may be, I think he just sticks to his guns and keeps Brady at four. If he really thinks the league and his own reputation benefits from the "everybody wins a little everybody loses a little" philosophy I think he reduces Brady to two games. But that isn't affected in my mind by today's ruling, although I guess it could sway him a little toward the latter. But IMO he made up his mind about what he is going to do about Brady a long time ago. Just don't know what it is of the two.

I have. I don't know which of two things are the controlling factor in Goodell's head right now. If it's regaining power, which is very well may be, I think he just sticks to his guns and keeps Brady at four. If he really thinks the league and his own reputation benefits from the "everybody wins a little everybody loses a little" philosophy I think he reduces Brady to two games. But that isn't affected in my mind by today's ruling, although I guess it could sway him a little toward the latter. But IMO he made up his mind about what he is going to do about Brady a long time ago. Just don't know what it is of the two.

I think the 4-game sentence for Hardy was both strategic and an obvious signal of what is to come. He didn't halve it (the logical thing to do); he reduced it to what Brady has. These things are done for a reason.

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/13259683/nfl-players-association-fight-tom-brady-ruling-ban-stays

Union plans to go to Federal court if Brady suspension not fully lifted.

Good.

let's have witnesses, subpoenas, etc.

Get people under oath on this, especially the ball boy and the equipment manager.

Such a case may not be as revealing as some are hoping. The content of Brady's texts, for example, may not necessarily be admissible.

Edited by Rocky Landing

I think the NFL will cave and lift the suspension. They don't want drama, so they'll do whatever they can to sweep it under the rug.

!@#$ it, I hope we !@#$ing smash his !@#$ing face in.

Such a case may not be as revealing as some are hoping. The content of Brady's texts, for example, may not necessarily be admissible.

I am sure a lawyer or two can chime in to assist - for example, who is the plaintiff and who is the accused? I think Brady would be the plaintiff here which might

impact things. In any event, having Brady on the record, under oath in a federal court would be...shall we say.....interesting?

I think the NFL will cave and lift the suspension. They don't want drama, so they'll do whatever they can to sweep it under the rug.

!@#$ it, I hope we !@#$ing smash his !@#$ing face in.

Ummm, you want drama? Lift the suspension. The Brady supporters are in the minority. Lift the suspension and the reaction will be waaaay more dramatic than not lifting it.

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/13259683/nfl-players-association-fight-tom-brady-ruling-ban-stays

Union to fight ruling

if any of QB's ban remains

mother :censored: 's

Patriots adjust weight-loss 'deflator' reference

The Patriots' website has adjusted a portion of text that claimed locker room attendant Jim McNally referred to himself as the "deflator" because he was trying to lose weight.