Shady trade will really set this team back

You need a different name.

Might I suggest ... Elroi.

My 3 cents -

Li-ore... Lie-or... daughter Judy?

I don't feel enlightened.

Try a different drug of choice, preferable hallucinogen, re-read the post, and see if that doesn't help.

Or just accept there is no truth in advertising.

Edited by transient

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the trade was a poor idea. Better off having kept Alonso. At least for a RB. McCoy is going to disappoint everyone. He will get yards because they have to feed him the ball a ton but he won't be different in many ways then spiller

Kiko was a below average middle linebacker the last 9 maybe 10 games of his rookie year. He is too small. I will admit I would have loved to see him play OLB the way Green Bay deploys Mathews. But Spiller was not the answer at RB. He is just not dependable. He can not read blocks, pass block, nor break tackles.

Your premise about not being able to pay Glenn would be the same if they had signed Spiller to a big contract. With little money invested in QB they will have plenty of money to keep Dareus, Glenn, and Gilmore. Fred's ridiculous salary will be gone this year or next. Cassel's too. Restructure Mario and let Darby take McKelvin's spot and there is plenty of cap room.

And we won't have to see Kiko disappoint for the next two years.

i cant find it now, but i remember someone put up a thread about meeting whaley at a bills backers thingy. the OP said that whaley told them something along the lines of 'we are making all of our financial decisions keeping in mind that dareus and gilmore are supremely important and resigning them will be our highest priority.'

i doubt JO ok'd anything that he though would comprise our ability to resign either of them.

I think GM Doug Whaley came into the off season with a great plan to run the ball more and be less dependent on a QB he doesn't have.

CJ Spiller only had 5 game starts last year with only 36 game starts out of 70 games in his 5 years. Which is not very dependable for a starting RB. Shady OTOH has 76 game starts out of 90 for his six year career. The Bills might be paying 2x what Spiller got but they are also getting a superior player who has been the best RB in the league for the last 5 years.

We don't know if Kiko will recover 100% to the player he was before his injury.

Where I think Whaley faltered in his plan was with the Ryan wanting to sign WR / KR Percy Harvin for 6 mill per, and that derailed his desire to obtain a better starting RT, and RG. Not upgrading those two positions with top known talent might just be not enough to help Shady be a top rusher this season.

The salary cap situation could be a big problem, and there is already talk that the Bills won't resign LT Cordy Glenn next off season, and allow him to walk. For me the guy to jettison to keep Glenn is Harvin for 6 mill per, and in all honesty I don't get the hype for a WR / KR that has never had 1k receiving yards in a year. Seems like a lot of money for a KR / WR.

Gonna be interesting to see what happens with the team if Eli Manning or Phillip Rivers should they become available.

I agree with you. While it seems like a good trade right now, the long-term implications will prove this trade to be a bad move. We will see a good player walk that could impact this team for significantly longer term than McCoy will. If the Bills don't make the playoffs this year, the trade for McCoy will look even worse.

Running backs are easy to come by, good offensive linemen and corners are not and we will lose one because of McCoy. Also, McCoy is a proven running back in an entirely different scheme with a significantly better o-line, so there's question marks there as well. Time will tell, and I hope I'm wrong but a couple years from now I think we regret the McCoy trade.

Have you seen the Cowboys RBs for this season?

the more i look at the future we face regarding cuts etc, the more the mccoy trade looks like a horrible move, not due to talent or ability etc, but from a roster and financial standpoint.

1. after we complained for years about our tackle position, as well as our corners, looks like we will have to cut either glenn or gilmore. ok maybe its mckelvin or maybe its bradham after already losing kiko, or cutting fred early or shudder maybe even Mario.

2. We traded a low-cost fan favorite linebacker for a 16 milllion dollar RB right before we have to resign 4 starters. And didnt we try the premier running back route for the last 15 years? How far did we get with Antowain, Mcgahee, Lynch or Spiller??? the most productive runner we had was 2nd rounder travis henry anyway. So now instead of drafting RB in the first, we trade a 2nd, and will lose one of our 1sts (gilmore dareus or glenn) next year, all for the joy of having a top tier running back in his 6th year.

3. We finally have 5 high talent receiving options, both tackles solidified, and weak guards, so we decide on a run first offense? things got worse not better when we spent a 5th on carlos williams. this would have worked out fine if we hadnt gotten shady. But now it forces a cut of either fred or brown and if its brown, it means we wasted a 4rth and will never know what brown could have done here. If its fred, we lose fred, nuff said.

we overstocked at a position we really didnt need and by next year,in the end it will end up costing us a 1st, 2nd, and 4rth round pick.

the combination will be either...

Kiko, fred, & gilmore or....

kiko, brown, & glenn

or possibly even a....

kiko, mckelvin, bradham and Fred combination

or maybe we just lose Mario

either way, it was a bad move.

Go Bills!

Cordy Glenn was a 2nd round pick. Just sayin'.

Where I think Whaley faltered in his plan was with the Ryan wanting to sign WR / KR Percy Harvin for 6 mill per, and that derailed his desire to obtain a better starting RT, and RG. Not upgrading those two positions with top known talent might just be not enough to help Shady be a top rusher this season.

This was the point that I was going to make. The McCoy trade makes sense for a team that wants to be a run first offense plus his receiving out of the backfield is one of the best in the league. The Harvin money should have been spent shoring up the O-line. There is a reason Harvin has been on so many teams in the past few years and can't make an impact as a WR.

I think GM Doug Whaley came into the off season with a great plan to run the ball more and be less dependent on a QB he doesn't have.

CJ Spiller only had 5 game starts last year with only 36 game starts out of 70 games in his 5 years. Which is not very dependable for a starting RB. Shady OTOH has 76 game starts out of 90 for his six year career. The Bills might be paying 2x what Spiller got but they are also getting a superior player who has been the best RB in the league for the last 5 years.

We don't know if Kiko will recover 100% to the player he was before his injury.

The salary cap situation could be a big problem, and there is already talk that the Bills won't resign LT Cordy Glenn next off season, and allow him to walk. For me the guy to jettison to keep Glenn is Harvin for 6 mill per, and in all honesty I don't get the hype for a WR / KR that has never had 1k receiving yards in a year. Seems like a lot of money for a KR / WR.

Gonna be interesting to see what happens with the team if Eli Manning or Phillip Rivers should they become available.

Whaley made offers to O-Linemen and was turned down. Harvin's contract did not prevent Whaley from upgrading the O-Line.

This was the point that I was going to make. The McCoy trade makes sense for a team that wants to be a run first offense plus his receiving out of the backfield is one of the best in the league. The Harvin money should have been spent shoring up the O-line. There is a reason Harvin has been on so many teams in the past few years and can't make an impact as a WR.

That's fine to say in theory, but it's not a fair point. They went hard after Bulaga, and--to a lesser extent--Clint Boling. They didn't land them, so they turned their attention to the draft and developing some of the 2014 draft picks on the OL. Only after the failed pursuit of Bulaga/Boling did they sign Harvin.

At that point, who was out there as a starting-caliber OLmen that you wanted to sign?

Whaley made offers to O-Linemen and was turned down. Harvin's contract did not prevent Whaley from upgrading the O-Line.

^Beat me to it.

I agree with you FTL but I have tried to do that maths (admittedly using the less than scientific "overthecap" calculator) and even without Harvin, without Cassel, without Fred etc... if we want to keep Marcel and Glenn and Bradham (and save money to extend Gilmore next year) keeping the cap sustainable over the next 4 years is very difficult. Someone is going to have to go I think.

It's about the Bills had a good enough team that we need to start talking about cap space and about resigning good players! It shows they are drafting better and improving overall...now just win some football games

I read that 87% of the stats used on this board are pulled out of thin air.

Or, maybe I wrote that....

I think it's closer to 99%. It's true, I just read it on the internet. Oh wait, that was after I wrote it. This is a ridiculous thread. As a GM you make that trade 100% of the time. It's a complete no brainer.