NFL exec: McCoy over Murray every time

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, McCoy avoids contact like the plague, so I guess he does have that going for him. His body isn't as beaten up as Murray's. But McCoy relies on speed and elusiveness to get his yards. When guys like that start to lose a step, the fall is usually hard and fast.

Guess it all depends on what kind of offense you want to run. If it's a ground and pound style offense, Murray is my choice every time. But if it's more a west coast offense where the RB will be catching the ball a lot too, I'd go with McCoy easily. He's deadly in open space and makes guys miss.

They were also able to sign Ryan Mathews because of the McCoy trade. They now have a young stud linebacker and the scariest rb corp in the league because of that trade. Not bad at all.

McCoy is what? 26? He's still too young to lose a step. We may worry about this later in his contract, but thankfully not this year.

Fred had his best years when he was 28, 29, 30 years old. At 26 he was still improving his game, still getting better.

Fred's not the same kind of back, of course. But McCoy still has shelf-life left on him.

Edited by hondo in seattle

Murray was a product of his OL, the best in the NFL right now. You will see it on full display when his numbers dip way down this year, especially taking hand-offs from Bradford or Sanchez or Tebow. There's no Dez or Jason Witten around him either. That Dallas OL can make McFadden or the underwear thief look like a monster if they can stay healthy.

Murray was a product of his OL, the best in the NFL right now. You will see it on full display when his numbers dip way down this year, especially taking hand-offs from Bradford or Sanchez or Tebow. There's no Dez or Jason Witten around him either. That Dallas OL can make McFadden or the underwear thief look like a monster if they can stay healthy.

According to profootballfocus.com, it was McCoy who was running behind the best run blocking unit last year, so I wouldn't put money on Murray having too much of a dropoff this season.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/01/08/2014-pff-offensive-line-rankings/4/

According to profootballfocus.com, it was McCoy who was running behind the best run blocking unit last year, so I wouldn't put money on Murray having too much of a dropoff this season.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/01/08/2014-pff-offensive-line-rankings/4/

unless Murray is running behind last year's Eagle OL, I'm not sure the 2014 PFF ranking matters. Edited by YoloinOhio

unless Murray is running behind last year's Eagle OL, I'm not sure the 2014 PFF ranking matters.

Just sayin that anyone expecting a huge dropoff in run blocking for Murray next season probably shouldn't bet money on it. What concerns me after seeing those rankings is why McCoy wasn't able to put up better numbers than he did. Not that they were terrible or anything, but I would have expected better for a "top 5" RB running behind a top ranked run blocking line.

Just sayin that anyone expecting a huge dropoff in run blocking for Murray next season probably shouldn't bet money on it. What concerns me after seeing those rankings is why McCoy wasn't able to put up better numbers than he did. Not that they were terrible or anything, but I would have expected better for a "top 5" RB running behind a top ranked run blocking line.

i don't expect a huge drop off for Murray, but I don't know anyone who would say the re-shuffled 2015 OL in Philly will be as good as the 2014 Dallas OL. With all the miles he had last year, I do expect some drop off. I also expect him to share more carries this year with Mathews and Sproles which could affect his stats from an individual standpoint. I don't think chip will want to run him into the ground like Dallas did. Edited by YoloinOhio

So you think he'll still put up 1,800? Not even close. Maybe, MAYBE 1,100-1,200 tops. You'll see. :thumbsup:

So you think he'll still put up 1,800? Not even close. Maybe, MAYBE 1,100-1,200 tops. You'll see. :thumbsup:

How did you get that out of what I wrote? :blink:

No I don't think he'll put up 1800. Sharing the load with Ryan Mathews and Darren Sproles, he probably won't get anywhere close to that.

I'd also like to point out that the Eagles offensive line was decimated by injuries and suspensions. The narrative in Philly is that McCoy didn't fit Chip's system and danced too much...but nobody had that issue the year before when he had half a line...in Chip's system. The way Eagle fans have thrown him aside and speak about him as though he were a bum is disgraceful. He didn't ask to be traded, in fact he was pissed when he was.

To be fair, I watched a lot of Eagles games last year (my girlfriend has offered to give me a secondhand McCoy jersey :P) and he did look a little more hesitant last year and he did take his share of negative runs. That's how he plays.

That said, McCoy does have great vision, and with an uncertain QB situation I will gladly take a few tackles for loss if Shady can take it to the house on long runs like he's shown he can do.

None of us have seen Kiko play since his second ACL injury to the same knee. Is he 100%? Will he be able to get back to the same level? Assuming he comes back at 100% is hopeful at a minimum.

Ryan Matthews hasn't been able to stay healthy for his whole career so assuming that he will be healthy this year is again, hopeful.

Bingo....

and

Last year was one of the first years where Murray WASNT injured correct?

It is Murray's running style that lends him to getting hurt all the time.........

I personally could care less if the eagles got better.....the bills used a tradable asset (because the emergency of Preston Brown MADE HIM EXPENDABLE) they used a defensive asset to greatly improve themselves on the offensive side of the ball......

That is the way Whaley looked at it....and that is the way he SHOULD look at it.

Murray will be fine for awhile as Philly has a strong line if healthy. He runs angry like Marshawn so these guys have short careers in the end. Shady is elusive, and yes some negative runs like Sanders, but behdin a good line can be incredible and they do last as they make so many people miss.

So the real question if Cromer gets out of his knucklehead trouble, can he build a great line with new additions of Miller, and Incognito with better coaching to Henderson, and Kuondjo.