Who are your top 10 Bills of all time?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good info. Lee Evans was a good receiver, especially during such dreadful Bills teams he was on. But I think in his last few years, he became the invisible man.

And Cribbs was very talented no doubt. But he had an attitude about other things. He jumped from Buffalo to the Birmingham Stallions for the big $, played about 8 games for them, then held out because he wanted more $. IMHO

Like so many NFL players lee Evans did one thin really really well. (Run under a deep ball) Like so many NFL players that turn in average career, he didn't do a lot of things very well.

I am going to do a list of my favourite players of the guys I've seen since I started watching the Bills 13 years ago... so this is the Bills since 2002.

10. Drew Bledsoe

9. Dan Carpenter

8. Nate Clements

7. Eric Moulds

6. Jason Peters

5. Stevie Johnson

4. Brian Moorman

3. Kyle Williams

2. Mario Williams

1. Fred Jackson

Not saying there are the best... just my favourite. CJ Spiller was the guy I wanted to fit in and just couldn't.

10) Bobby Chandler

9) George Saimes

8) Tom Sestak

7) Andre Reed

6) Cookie Gilchrist

5) OJ

4) Daryl Talley

3) Bruce Smith

2) Jim Kelly

1) Thurman Thomas

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I dont know if he belongs in the top 10 but Antoine Winfield was one of my all time favorites

CBF

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Is that in order?

I love Thurman but I think even he would tell you OJ was better than him.

OJ , in my opinion, had better speed and was shiftier. Thurman was the most versatile back I've ever seen in a Bills uniform. When you needed a yard he got it. When you needed a pass rusher blocked, he did it (next time you see OJ block a pass rusher will be the first). When you needed a pass caught, he could handle it. Multi purpose and the heart and soul of those Bills teams, in my opinion, along with Daryl Talley. He was feisty, spirited and a great team player. OJ had tremendous athletic ability and was the sole offense pretty much, during his time. His teams were never as successful as Thurman's and I think it is partially due to his unwillingness to be other than "OJ star player". I know it isnt in line with conventional thinking but it is my opinion and others can certainly disagree.

Edited by norton20

Norton, way to pay tribute to those AFL'rs. Question: How far off from your top 10 was Jack Kemp? For WIW, he would make my top 10. We wouldn't have won those 2 championships if we had a less talented QB. Go Bills.

I'm 61 years old. I started following the Bills seriously in 1963, so those great Bills teams of the 60's I saw a lot of. Jack Kemp was a very good QB. Solid but prone to turnovers and not blessed with a huge arm like Lamonica. It was quite a controversy back in the day as to who the top guy was. Jack Kemp was very good, very smart, a leader and very solid QB. The Bills though were a run 1st team with Gilchrist and Wray Carlton and a GREAT defense. Much like I expect this year's team to be. Kemp, Ferguson and Jim Kelly are it for me in terms of Bills QBs. Kemp is top 20 for sure in my opinion. Billy Shaw, Mike Stratton, Butch Byrd and maybe others could easily be included in a top 10 list. Cant have them all though I guess.

I am an original Bills fan, I was 11 when the team was founded in 1959. Used to go to the games at the Rockpile with my dad. Have been a Bills Fan through thick & thin.

My top 10

Billy Shaw

Tom Sestak

Mike Stratton - hit on Keith Lincoln won a champtionship.

Jim Kelly

Thurman Thomas

Andre Reed

Bruce Smith

OJ Simpson [the football player]

Kyle Williams

Marcel Dareus

Cookie & Cribbs would be on this list, if they played longer in Buffalo. Their early departure hurt the team.

6. Billy Shaw

Per Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Shaw

Shaw is the only player ever inducted to the Pro Football Hall of Fame without ever playing in the NFL

10. Leonard Smith

9. Tasker

8. Marv Levy

7. Cornelius Bennett

6. Smerlas

5. Sam Adams

4. Antwan Winfield

3. Bruuuuuuce

2. Jim Kelly

1. OJ

Favorite. Not nec. best. But my favorite Bills to cheer for, and to want to be when I was a kid outside playing football, or would want to meet. Or be proud to wear a jersey of.

Every person on this list could, and did, change games single-handedly.

No WRs or CBs (other than Winfield) would be even top 25. Thurman was efficient and effective, kinda like Fred Jackson, but didnt really have star power (not excellent at any one thing) and would probably be #11 out of 10. Honorable mention to guys like Billy Shaw, Reuben Brown, Kent Hull, pat Williams, Sam Cowart, Talley, Lamonica, Kyle Williams.

Edited by maddenboy

John wendling should be on your list too. As I recall, he could jump over a 6 foot hurdle from a standing position.

noted.

if he can jump out of a pool, over a hurdle and then do sleight of hand (dorenbos-style) i'm ordering his jersey tonight!

Per Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Shaw

Shaw is the only player ever inducted to the Pro Football Hall of Fame without ever playing in the NFL

10. Leonard Smith

9. Tasker

8. Marv Levy

7. Cornelius Bennett

6. Smerlas

5. Sam Adams

4. Antwan Winfieild

3. Bruuuuuuce

2. Jim Kelly

1. OJ

Favorite. Not nec. best. But my favorite Bills to cheer for, and to want to be when I was a kid outside playing football, or would want to meet. Or be proud to wear a jersey of.

Every person on this list could, and did, change games single-handedly.

No WRs or CBs (other than Winfield) would be even top 25. Thurman was efficient and effective, kinda like Fred Jackson, but didnt really have star power (not excellent at any one thing) and would probably be #11 out of 10. Honorable mention to guys like Billy Shaw, Reuben Brown, Kent Hull, Pat Williams, Sam Cowart, Talley, Lamonica, Kyle Williams.

Robert James was arguably the best CB in the league in the early 70s. Went to three straight pro bowls. Teams would go whole games without trying to throw against him. He was incredible, his career just got cut short. But he played 5-6 years.

10) Bobby Chandler

9) George Saimes

8) Tom Sestak

7) Andre Reed

6) Cookie Gilchrist

5) OJ

4) Daryl Talley

3) Bruce Smith

2) Jim Kelly

1) Thurman Thomas

Too many to choose but I'm glad someone got Bobby Chandler in there.👍

Like so many NFL players lee Evans did one thin really really well. (Run under a deep ball) Like so many NFL players that turn in average career, he didn't do a lot of things very well.

He didn't do a lot of things well, but he played with some of the worst QB's the franchise has ever seen...I seriously think his career would have been much more productive and successful if he had been with a franchise that had a more stable foundation...nobody did very well...I would say he was the best offensive player on some very bad teams. His game didn't get better, in my opinion, because we had, perhaps the most uninspired coaching, and sub-par talent level...a very good football player, stuck on a sinking ship...

No Ted Washington?

1-10

Bruce

Kelly

Thomas

Reed

OJ

Joe D

Reggie M

Kemp

Mario

Washington

Excellent point, he is a HOF prospect and while in Buffalo very solid and involved in the community. Another class act!

Too many to choose but I'm glad someone got Bobby Chandler in there.

:thumbsup:

Robert James was arguably the best CB in the league in the early 70s. Went to three straight pro bowls. Teams would go whole games without trying to throw against him. He was incredible, his career just got cut short. But he played 5-6 years.

Another excellent point, what a great player and great character!

I am an original Bills fan, I was 11 when the team was founded in 1959. Used to go to the games at the Rockpile with my dad. Have been a Bills Fan through thick & thin.

My top 10

Billy Shaw

Tom Sestak

Mike Stratton - hit on Keith Lincoln won a champtionship.

Jim Kelly

Thurman Thomas

Andre Reed

Bruce Smith

OJ Simpson [the football player]

Kyle Williams

Marcel Dareus

Cookie & Cribbs would be on this list, if they played longer in Buffalo. Their early departure hurt the team.

My family held season tickets from 1960 - 1989, I really became a fan in 1964.

I'm 61 years old. I started following the Bills seriously in 1963, so those great Bills teams of the 60's I saw a lot of. Jack Kemp was a very good QB. Solid but prone to turnovers and not blessed with a huge arm like Lamonica. It was quite a controversy back in the day as to who the top guy was. Jack Kemp was very good, very smart, a leader and very solid QB. The Bills though were a run 1st team with Gilchrist and Wray Carlton and a GREAT defense. Much like I expect this year's team to be. Kemp, Ferguson and Jim Kelly are it for me in terms of Bills QBs. Kemp is top 20 for sure in my opinion. Billy Shaw, Mike Stratton, Butch Byrd and maybe others could easily be included in a top 10 list. Cant have them all though I guess.

:thumbsup::thumbsup: Great era of football.

He didn't do a lot of things well, but he played with some of the worst QB's the franchise has ever seen...I seriously think his career would have been much more productive and successful if he had been with a franchise that had a more stable foundation...nobody did very well...I would say he was the best offensive player on some very bad teams. His game didn't get better, in my opinion, because we had, perhaps the most uninspired coaching, and sub-par talent level...a very good football player, stuck on a sinking ship...

The old can't throw to himself is the foundation of the Evans myth. He actually complimented losman very well. JPs arm was rediculus (maybe strongest in the game) and he could out throw coverage, lee would out run coverage. That was most of high career highlight reel. Being the best of a mediocre wr corp and playing with a cannon armed qb made him more effective than he'd have been in probably most other scenarios.

He couldn't even crack the starting lin up in Baltimore, blew a super chance for them and once he lost his elite speed he fell right out of the league.

I liked the guy too, but he didn't do that #83 justice.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

OJ , in my opinion, had better speed and was shiftier. Thurman was the most versatile back I've ever seen in a Bills uniform. When you needed a yard he got it. When you needed a pass rusher blocked, he did it (next time you see OJ block a pass rusher will be the first). When you needed a pass caught, he could handle it. Multi purpose and the heart and soul of those Bills teams, in my opinion, along with Daryl Talley. He was feisty, spirited and a great team player. OJ had tremendous athletic ability and was the sole offense pretty much, during his time. His teams were never as successful as Thurman's and I think it is partially due to his unwillingness to be other than "OJ star player". I know it isnt in line with conventional thinking but it is my opinion and others can certainly disagree.

Great post and very true!

The thing about the 1960's players is that it was a different era; my father and I walked into a Town of Penelton Bar and Marty Schottenheimer was drinking a beer and playing uecker. They were all just regular guys who held off season jobs; amazing how many remained in the Buffalo era.