Jim Harbaugh interview on Cowherd

I agree with you on some level (though I would argue, most caller based sports talk shows are pretty unlistenable for more than about 15-20 minutes, and Buffalo fans are hardly the only ones with chips on their shoulders...remember Red Sox fans, before they finally won a championship?), but I think you are missing the larger point.

It doesn't bother me, or most here it seems, that Cowherd thinks we are all !@#$-tards (I don't live in Buffalo any more either!), but is the length he goes to disparage (his words) "cranky old white guy who lives on the east coast, who is miserable because they live in fileds of snow and ice', and to use that to tell his tale of rising up, and disparaging "old school" sports fans who are loyal to their team, and don't suck up to success, as he proudly does.

As you say, obviously, he connects with some people, as he has his fans...I just think he is the worst...hadn't listened to him for about 2 years, and while home on vacation recently, I happened to catch a few minutes of his tv-simulcast...just as grating as ever....

I heard him many times extoll the virtues of being a front-runner sports fans, and say, essentially, if you like a ****ty sports team, you are a glutton for punishment, and miserable. He just represents, I think, the attitude that has turned so many off from ESPN...he is just a big turn off for the network, for me, and I find his attitude pretty much anti everything I have loved about being a sports fan for the last 45+ years.

I agree with most of your criticisms, and I don't like many of the things he says, but I think the good outweighs the bad.

How does me living in LA make your comment that people from Buffalo are too sensitive any more relevant? Or your assumption that most people on this board are from southtowns?

Right... It doesn't. And that's what my eye roll was for. If you repeat a line long enough, it doesn't make it more true. Just FYI.

You tied the emoticon to a Cowherd quote about motivated people leaving small cities for coastal cities, and you yourself have left, Greggy. Therein lies the irony. Figure it out.

Edited by HoF Watkins

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You tied the emoticon to a Cowherd quote about motivated people leaving small cities for coastal cities, and you yourself have left, Greggy. Therein lies the irony. Figure it out.

I did not tie the emoticon to anything Coward said. It was directly tied to this post:

I think many Buffalo fans are way too sensitive.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I agree with most of your criticisms, and I don't like many of the things he says, but I think the good outweighs the bad.

Sorry dude. A lot of people think Cowherd sucks. He could say Buffalo is the greatest place on earth and I'd still think he sucked. The only good thing he did is he get Michelle Beadle on TV.

Sorry dude. A lot of people think Cowherd sucks. He could say Buffalo is the greatest place on earth and I'd still think he sucked. The only good thing he did is he get Michelle Beadle on TV.

No need to apologize to me. I'm not the least bit worried about his career.

Plenty liked his show, he has been incredibly successful, and none of the opinions expressed here will have an impact on him (or me).

Any chance he just did this intentionally? It doesn't mesh with his twitter post, but it didn't come off to me like Jim really cared for Cowherd. He seemed annoyed that he was getting all these descriptions thrown at him about who he was. He just seemed to get further and further annoyed at every assumption Cowherd was making. Just tossing this possibility out. He might just suck that bad, I haven't heard Jim do a lot of pressers or interviews. Thanks for the link.

He was seriously trying to back track on his show today. I would call it "groveling" to listeners. It was painful.

I heard the same thing. I can't help but wonder if this wasn't all by design. He annoys a lot of people, but he's not stupid. Why did he make such a gaffe at this moment in time? Not a mionth ago or a year ago. Now. BTW - I agree with him regarding those who feel baseball is so complex that ordinary folk just can't appreciate it. No, it's slow and boring. My opinion. And that of my sons. And all the kids they know. Regardless, a lot more hype around Cowherd and the change of network. And maybe a few more people looking to tuning in? Look - we are typing about it!

If you listened to his full comment and response, I couldn't disagree with his basic points. You don't need to be an Ivy League grad to play the game. But I'm not losing the sight of the fact that he chose NOW to bring this up.

I heard the same thing. I can't help but wonder if this wasn't all by design. He annoys a lot of people, but he's not stupid. Why did he make such a gaffe at this moment in time? Not a mionth ago or a year ago. Now. BTW - I agree with him regarding those who feel baseball is so complex that ordinary folk just can't appreciate it. No, it's slow and boring. My opinion. And that of my sons. And all the kids they know. Regardless, a lot more hype around Cowherd and the change of network. And maybe a few more people looking to tuning in? Look - we are typing about it!

If you listened to his full comment and response, I couldn't disagree with his basic points. You don't need to be an Ivy League grad to play the game. But I'm not losing the sight of the fact that he chose NOW to bring this up.

His point is wrong because it confuses intelligence with education. They're not synonyms.

I figured it was part of an anti-baseball pro-football rant. What an !@#$.

His point is wrong because it confuses intelligence with education. They're not synonyms.

Actually, I listened to the whole thing today (but not the previous day) and he was very expilcit that they were two different things. Dominican education was ranked 120 out of 144 countries, or something like that. I listened to the 56 second bit and that seemed clear to me there too. He mentioned that only about 4% in MLB (including managers) had a college degree. Not that they weren't smart enough, but the baseball system doesn't require or value traditional education. It's not a friggin' chess game as some would like you to think to disguise how boring it is to many. That was his point. I realize I may be alone on a limb here, but I don't think (based on what I HAVE heard) that it was as egregious as reported. And maybe that was by design. We ARE talking about it.... all he could ask for. I will concede my dislike of baseball and casual listening might have missed something offensive, but I did at least hear it today.

I figured it was part of an anti-baseball pro-football rant. What an !@#$.

Look at ratings. Is it a rant or a solid observation? I suggest the latter.

Ratings? Are you !@#$ing kidding me. Look at the crap that's at the top of the TV ratings and music charts.

Football, football, football, big cities, coastal cities. He's an !@#$

Ratings? Are you !@#$ing kidding me. Look at the crap that's at the top of the TV ratings and music charts.

Football, football, football, big cities, coastal cities. He's an !@#$

EXACTLY my point. It wasn't just an anti-baseball rant. It was also a comment on how football is king and why. Do we have a misunderstanding? Pretty sure we agree football is the BIG DOG, and he often talks of how baseball is slow and losing viewership. And I think that's true. Edited by Augie

I'm guessing that Dan Patrick was killing him in the ratings and this latest thing was a good reason to get rid of him sooner rather than latter even if it was next week. Somebody said condescending, I can't think of a more perfect synonym for the full of him self jerk.

I think everyone is overlooking the real reason he got shut down.

Today he made the comment about Russel Wilson saying that if you put him on the Bills, they would be a top 3 Superbowl contender.

Can't have that!

In all seriousness, what he said was light compared to any other show. Love him or hate him, this is just a sought-after reason to get rid of him sooner.

EXACTLY my point. It wasn't just an anti-baseball rant. It was also a comment on how football is king and why. Do we have a misunderstanding? Pretty sure we agree football is the BIG DOG, and he often talks of how baseball is slow and losing viewership. And I think that's true.

Yeah, we do have a misunderstanding. I know he's an !@#$ and you don't.

It's one thing when Larry Felser would say on his radio show at the beginning of the season - KIng Football is back. It is king. But, he didn't tear down baseball or the other sports at the same time.

Cowherd tears down Buffalo to prop up LA, tears down baseball to prop up football, tears down loyal fans to prop up bandwagon fans of winning teams.

And, we'll see how long football is king - I know very few high school kids who play it, while all of them I know do play other sports. If Cowherd lasts as long as this evolution will take, he'll be proclaiming whatever sport is king then and tear down football. Because he's a winner! Big boy pants!