The Wild Years: The football family that shaped Rex Ryan

Man, I really enjoyed that.

Rex: “We lived in this little, tiny trailer. My brother and I slept in the overhang, the thing above the truck cab. We called it the coffin. Two 6-2 guys. Never turned the air on. We had these narrow, little windows we had to crank open. All we asked for was our own sheet so our bodies wouldn’t touch.”

There's no doubt that Rex is such a likeable guy.

Who would have ever thought that the Ryans would be associated with the Bills??

It would be awesome for Rex to get one before Buddy passes away.

I'll admit I wasnt excited about the Ryan hire.

I didnt want a blow-hard for this blue-collar team that Whaley has put together expertly.

This article has changed my mind. Rexy is a maniac in a good way. He had a hard upbringing, like most in Buffalo. He even spent part of his childhood in Buffalo, which I had forgotten.

I'm ready to run through a brick wall after reading this piece. Very well done.

Great find, Yolo. (Is there anything you don't find? Are you really just some internet search algorithm? Do you eat or sleep? Just wondering.) It helps me to understand and like Rex more. It also says something about the Pegula's, but I guess that's another story and no surprise. I hope Rex makes his dad happy by bringing that trophy home!

Wow...Graham is writing some very good articles lately...First the one about Talley that ended up spawning a huge donation campaign and now this one about the Ryans...

Maybe Graham has finally found his calling? Those stories are so well written he should consider picking a topic and writing a book. If its anything like those two articles, it would do very well...

I'll admit I wasnt excited about the Ryan hire.

I didnt want a blow-hard for this blue-collar team that Whaley has put together expertly.

This article has changed my mind. Rexy is a maniac in a good way. He had a hard upbringing, like most in Buffalo. He even spent part of his childhood in Buffalo, which I had forgotten.

I'm ready to run through a brick wall after reading this piece. Very well done.

Ryan fits Buffalo to a T...tough, take no crap from anyone type of guy who puts a huge importance on family but has a soft side with a heart of gold...

Rex is such a welcome change from the previous regime. He is such a genuine good person. There is a reason that guys love to play for him. He has their backs. That is such an important factor in a leadership position. Rex is the guy that I want leading this group.

Thanks Yolo. That was such a great read.

I know a lot of you folks don't like Tim Graham but he excels at stuff like this. A very, very good article.

He's phenomenal. People don't like him because they can't take a joke and/or don't detect sarcasm via print. He's been on fire.

Great find, Yolo. (Is there anything you don't find? Are you really just some internet search algorithm? Do you eat or sleep? Just wondering.) It helps me to understand and like Rex more. It also says something about the Pegula's, but I guess that's another story and no surprise. I hope Rex makes his dad happy by bringing that trophy home!

lol - I just saw it on Twitter, like everything else. It's a Twitter-verse and we're just living in it! Great move by the BN putting Graham on features. He's a talented writer.

I think Rex is unlike a lot of HCs in that he doesn't have a "holier than thou" attitude around them. He's made mistakes, he's had his own failures, and he persevered. He doesn't act like the smartest guy in the room but he trusts what he knows about football and is always still in learning mode. I think he looks at guys like Seantrel and wants to motivate them. He knows certain guys need a kick in the arse but also that they need someone who understands them.

Edited by YoloinOhio

He's phenomenal. People don't like him because they can't take a joke and/or don't detect sarcasm via print. He's been on fire.

I don't think he's phenomenal. He likes doing these long form stories, and I think he's pretty good at them. I haven't read this one yet - but I almost always come away with a bunch of questions which I think he should have explained.

People don't like him because of the way he acted here, and mostly on twitter. Not because of his writing for the News, which is good.

I don't think he's phenomenal. He likes doing these long form stories, and I think he's pretty good at them. I haven't read this one yet - but I almost always come away with a bunch of questions which I think he should have explained.

People don't like him because of the way he acted here, and mostly on twitter. Not because of his writing for the News, which is good.

Agree to disagree. His long-form pieces are fantastic. As for the "twitter wars," well, I think there's many people on Twitter that shouldn't hit 'send.'

Most of those people tend to get what the deserve. As for the fallout here, I have no opinion.

Edited by stony

Agree to disagree. His long-form pieces are fantastic. As for the "twitter wars," well, I think there's many people on Twitter that shouldn't hit 'send.'

Most of those people tend to get what the deserve. As for the fallout here, I have no opinion.

I just read this one. It's very good........I'm thinking about stories like when he first left the sports section. It was an interesting long form story about this mother and son in the Falls who were hoarders and IIRC were found dead after some period of time.....And, had millions of dollars, but living in total squalor.

I kept thinking throughout the whole story - when is he going to say how they got all this money. He never did. I'm like WTF - why did I read this whole long thing.

There were questions I had with the Talley story. It seemed like whatever it was about the pension plan - that if you didn't get it in by a certain date, you got a lot less money. It was very weird and not explained at all............It made no sense why there would be such a clause and it was never addressed.

He is a total dick on twitter. I remember him mocking out the Republican convention. I said something to him, and he says You don't know anything about my religion and politics. Uh yeah I do - you just just put it out there...........And, it's been all left wing after that, but I'm sure he'd maintain the same thing.

There are way worse examples of how he treats people, and then mocks people out about their number of followers. Like he'd have a ton of followers if he wasn't in the media covering the Bills.

I do have to say that he was good when he would be on for an hour with Brad Riter back in the WECK days.

Thanks Yolo. That was such a great read.

I know a lot of you folks don't like Tim Graham but he excels at stuff like this. A very, very good article.

Just read the article and was just going to post a similar sentiment. I don't like Graham's snarkiness but stuff like this is preciesely what he really wants to do, and what he's good at.