Is it too late to add another QB?

HT02

Given their mostly feeble prior NFL success and the less than stellar reports coming from the OTAs I am more and more pessimistic about 3 stooges we have as potential QB's.

I was hoping the Bills would pick up at least one guy with potentially big upside to at minimum, provide a long shot hope that Bills fans might actually catch that long overdue break we very much are due.

I was envisioning someone like Glennon from TB or Mettenberger from the Titans. I know those names aren't going to invoke Manning, Luck or Rivers like excitement but I am just looking for something new with at least a little bit of hope.

Do you think it is too late for something to happen "keep hope alive"?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Given their mostly feeble prior NFL success and the less than stellar reports coming from the OTAs I am more and more pessimistic about 3 stooges we have as potential QB's.

I was hoping the Bills would pick up at least one guy with potentially big upside to at minimum, provide a long shot hope that Bills fans might actually catch that long overdue break we very much are due.

I was envisioning someone like Glennon from TB or Mettenberger from the Titans. I know those names aren't going to invoke Manning, Luck or Rivers like excitement but I am just looking for something new with at least a little bit of hope.

Do you think it is too late for something to happen "keep hope alive"?

what do you see the Bills as giving up for these guys you envision?

what do you see the Bills as giving up for these guys you envision?

Those are two names that are potentially available and potentially an upgrade. The keyword is potentially. I'd think that you could get Glennon or Mettenberger for about a 5th.

It doesn't seem like a likely scenario at all but if they don't like what they've seen so far at the position those guys are probably targets. That .1% that Rex left out there.

Those are two names that are potentially available and potentially an upgrade. The keyword is potentially. I'd think that you could get Glennon or Mettenberger for about a 5th.

It doesn't seem like a likely scenario at all but if they don't like what they've seen so far at the position those guys are probably targets. That .1% that Rex left out there.

What NFL teams with rookie QB have traded their backup (2nd QB) for a 5th before training camp/preseason?

I can't think of any, nor can I think of what would motivate the Titans or Bucs GM to do so - unless it would be because somehow a better backup choice at QB became available.

In which case.....

QB fever...Catch it!

I wonder how many threads there would be about trading for Tyrod Taylor if he were still a Raven?

Oooh- oooh! Tyrod Taylor. I've heard of him. What? he's not a Raven? Whaley's asleep at the wheel... again.

Wait. Oh, never mind.

Down here the Tampa Bay area talk is Glennon may even be the starter for awhile a according to bobblehead reporters and league "sources". I cannot see him on the block he is on his rookie deal. And if anything a solid insurance policy. I would like that string bean wearing the red, white and blue.

A 5th for either of those guys is crazy! I might offer a 7th at best but I really don't get hype with either of them except they are different. Glennon is like the skinny, much less talented version of Bledsoe. Mettenberger has Winston qualities, had a worse rookie year QBR than EJ, played on a LSU team with a great NFL receiving core and former NFL OC and never wowed, and was like a 6th round pick last year.

You're one of my favorite posters but this stuff and the Rogers over Hogan is why I glad Whaley is in charge (Of course, i may have made a few bad calls myself over the years. :) ).

I will take Kurt Warner please for one year. Then draft a QB in the 1st round in next years

NFL draft. Hopefully Cardale Jones from Ohio State.

Yes I would go with Orton for one more year to bridge the gap if I had to.

I'm hoping one of these guys will step up. I was hoping for Tyrod Taylor to do it.

I will take Kurt Warner please for one year. Then draft a QB in the 1st round in next years

NFL draft. Hopefully Cardale Jones from Ohio State.

Yes I would go with Orton for one more year to bridge the gap if I had to.

I'm hoping one of these guys will step up. I was hoping for Tyrod Taylor to do it.

:sick::bag::death:

What NFL teams with rookie QB have traded their backup (2nd QB) for a 5th before training camp/preseason?

I can't think of any, nor can I think of what would motivate the Titans or Bucs GM to do so - unless it would be because somehow a better backup choice at QB became available.

In which case.....

I don't want to say that this is a unique situation but it is. The guys ahead of them on the depth chart were the 1st and 2nd overall picks. They will have a window to start and they are not competing with Mettenberger or Glennon. It is a unique situation as well as the back ups on those teams are 2nd & 3rd year players that have played a little. They have no chance of starting in either situation but may still have some trade value. Those teams may trade those guys straight up for Cassel as an example. A veteran presence might be something that they would want to mentor Jameis and Mariota as opposed to a disgruntled young guy that wants a chance to compete.

If you were the Titans and someone offered you a 5th round pick for a guy that will never play, whose value will go down because of that would you do it?

I am not saying that it is likely but history is not a good indicator in this situation because it is unique. I guess that the closest situation that I can think of is Clausen in Carolina.

A 5th for either of those guys is crazy! I might offer a 7th at best but I really don't get hype with either of them except they are different. Glennon is like the skinny, much less talented version of Bledsoe. Mettenberger has Winston qualities, had a worse rookie year QBR than EJ, played on a LSU team with a great NFL receiving core and former NFL OC and never wowed, and was like a 6th round pick last year.

You're one of my favorite posters but this stuff and the Rogers over Hogan is why I glad Whaley is in charge (Of course, i may have made a few bad calls myself over the years. :) ).

I was pretty clear that I don't love either guy but there is no reason to think that they do not have as much of a chance as EJ or Tyrod. I am simply suggesting that if the Bills do not like the guys that they have either of these 2 are young, gettable guys that could conceivably win the current QB competition. Is that crazy?

Glennon so far: 19 games, 58.8% completion, 4,025 yards, 6.5 AVG, 29 TDs, 15 INT, 83.7 rating

EJ so far: 15 games, 58.6% completion, 2,810 yards, 6.43 AVG, 16 TDs, 12 INTs, 78.5 rating

Mettenberger so far: 7 games, 59.8% completion, 1,412 yards, 7.89 AVG, 8 TDs, 7 INTs, 83.4 rating

I admittedly was not a fan of Glennon coming out of college but what is ludicrous about thinking that Glennon could compete in this QB battle??

Edited by Kirby Jackson

In which case.....

You did not think to long then. Cassel was traded for a 5th.

I don't want to say that this is a unique situation but it is. The guys ahead of them on the depth chart were the 1st and 2nd overall picks. They will have a window to start and they are not competing with Mettenberger or Glennon. It is a unique situation as well as the back ups on those teams are 2nd & 3rd year players that have played a little. They have no chance of starting in either situation but may still have some trade value. Those teams may trade those guys straight up for Cassel as an example. A veteran presence might be something that they would want to mentor Jameis and Mariota as opposed to a disgruntled young guy that wants a chance to compete.

If you were the Titans and someone offered you a 5th round pick for a guy that will never play, whose value will go down because of that would you do it?

I am not saying that it is likely but history is not a good indicator in this situation because it is unique. I guess that the closest situation that I can think of is Clausen in Carolina.

I was pretty clear that I don't love either guy but there is no reason to think that they do not have as much of a chance as EJ or Tyrod. I am simply suggesting that if the Bills do not like the guys that they have either of these 2 are young, gettable guys that could conceivably win the current QB competition. Is that crazy?

Glennon so far: 19 games, 58.8% completion, 4,025 yards, 6.5 YPA, 29 TDs, 15 INT, 83.7 rating

EJ so far: 15 games, 58.6% completion, 2,810 yards, 6.43 YPA, 16 TDs, 12 INTs, 78.5 rating

I admittedly was not a fan of Glennon coming out of college but what is ludicrous about thinking that Glennon could compete in this QB battle??

I like Glennon better than Mettenberger. But I think he is a guy who leaves you wanting more. Even with those stats you posted, which are pretty solid for a rookie, TB keep looking to replace him. He has also been sacked 56 times in 19 games. You can blame the oline but I believe that was a knock on him coming out of college. Sacks and turnovers are killers.

Again, for the solid production, there seems to be no trade market for him.

You did not think to long then. Cassel was traded for a 5th.

Cassel was traded for a combination of picks, some that went back to the Vikes. Bridgewater is not a rookie and I think they still have Ponder.

I like Glennon better than Mettenberger. But I think he is a guy who leaves you wanting more. Even with those stats you posted, which are pretty solid for a rookie, TB keep looking to replace him. He has also been sacked 56 times in 19 games. You can blame the oline but I believe that was a knock on him coming out of college. Sacks and turnovers are killers.

Again, for the solid production, there seems to be no trade market for him.

That is the whole point that I was making. If the Bills are not happy with the QB play (which has been a reoccurring theme this offseason) there are a couple of viable options potentially out there. I do not see any of the guys being discussed as the next Andrew Luck. There is no reason though to believe so much in EJ while not believing in Mettenberger or Glennon when to date they have probably been a little better (certainly Glennon has).

I am not saying that any of these guys are the answer but they are definitely in the league with what we currently have competing for the job. You said earlier that a 5th for either of those guys is crazy. By the same logic you would have to jump at a 5th if offered it for EJ then correct?