Article: Josh McCown could have been the answer at QB in '15

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/familiar-tune--rex-ryan-s-defense-promises-to-dominate--but-will-bills--qb-situation-hold-buffalo-back-041731090.html?soc_src=mail&soc_trk=ma

Charles Robinson says Josh McCown could be the one that got away?

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. This all felt familiar, watching Rex Ryan circle a nasty, terrorizing swarm of defenders and think, that might be the best defense in the NFL then look across the field and wonder, which quarterback is going to screw this up.

Blame Josh McCown. He is not on the Buffalo Bills' roster, and that might be the biggest problem this franchise currently has.

Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He lost my interest when he said "based on one practice". Though if you can become a sports writer from evaluating one practice then we all have a backup career waiting for us.

Edited by The Wiz

Notes from Robinson interview from last night

@JohnMurphyShow: Robinson: Bills defense, best in the league http://t.co/kWz0bRKdtf

He's also talking Bills on his Twitter timeline today. Apparently thinks EJ has the edge right now.

@CharlesRobinson: It's truly up in air. But I think Manuel, largely because Cassel isn't seizing it. Cassel doesn't look right to me. https://t.co/l1YqO7Yg8i

@CharlesRobinson: Unless Taylor is seen as THE long-term guy for #Bills, I think vet w/ starting experience gets first shot. A hunch. https://t.co/05ApLTdDin

Edited by YoloinOhio

Then why did the Bills prefer McCown to Cassel? They very much wanted to sign him.

I don't think they preferred him. McCown was free to sign with any team and Cassel was on the Vikings. We had to give up a pick for Cassel

I don't think they preferred him. McCown was free to sign with any team and Cassel was on the Vikings. We had to give up a pick for Cassel

You're wrong about this. The Bills tried hard to get McCown, and thought they had him. When he took Cleveland at the 11th hour they went to Plan B, which was Cassel.

You're wrong about this. The Bills tried hard to get McCown, and thought they had him. When he took Cleveland at the 11th hour they went to Plan B, which was Cassel.

I kind of get where kdiggz is going. Cassel could have been Plan A but the Bills weren't willing to give up a pick for him so they go to Plan B and push hard for McCown, when that didn't work they admitted defeat and gave the Vikings what they wanted for Cassel.

The Bills could have seen Cassel > McCown but when giving up a draft pick it really made Cassel = McCown and so they went after McCown because he was a free agent.

Obviously we are all just speculating, much like this reporter is.

This is correct.

Bills tried and failed to get Josh, so we moved on and so should the reporter.

There isn't much else to be done at the moment, is there? But still, every time someone goes off about how great the Bills will be this season I say "I'd be on board if they had a QB. The Bills' best QB right now is Matt Cassel and they preferred McCown over him." That's blunt. It's "peeing in the punch bowl," but it is completely accurate as a gauge of where the Bills are at the position.

I think you're wearing Bills goggles on this one. They definitely wanted to sign him but lost out. At this stage of his career, Cassel is clearly an inferior player (not that McCown is great). The Bills know this (as does every team in the league), but obviously aren't going to say this publicly.

Edited by dave mcbride

I kind of get where kdiggz is going. Cassel could have been Plan A but the Bills weren't willing to give up a pick for him so they go to Plan B and push hard for McCown, when that didn't work they admitted defeat and gave the Vikings what they wanted for Cassel.

The Bills could have seen Cassel > McCown but when giving up a draft pick it really made Cassel = McCown and so they went after McCown because he was a free agent.

Obviously we are all just speculating, much like this reporter is.

Completely ridiculous. The Bills gave up almost nothing in the way of draft compensation for Cassel. For the team's, you know, expected starting QB. If the front office preferred Cassel and wavered and went after a lesser QB due to a late round draft pick they need fired. Today.

Edited to add trade details: The Bills gave up a 5th round pick (137) and a 2016 seventh round pick for Cassel and a 6th (188). That's not much for any player - particularly not a QB.

Edited by BarleyNY

Completely ridiculous. The Bills gave up almost nothing in the way of draft compensation for Cassel. For the team's, you know, expected starting QB. If the front office preferred Cassel and wavered and went after a lesser QB due to a late round draft pick they need fired. Today.

Ridiculous? It's far from ridiculous. The Bills were looking for a veteran QB to possibly start but who would most certainly be competing for the job. Expected starter? Why didn't the Bills name Cassel the starter when he was traded?

You don't think it's at all possible that they thought of Cassel as a slightly better player but weren't willing to give up a pick for him at first? Maybe the Vikings wanted a 4th or a 5th round pick when the first call was made to inquire.

I think you're wearing Bills goggles on this one. They definitely wanted to sign him but lost out. At this stage of his career, Cassel is clearly an inferior player (not that McCown is great). The Bills know this (as does every team in the league), but obviously aren't going to say this publicly.

At this point in there respective careers, McCown has had 1 good season(really it was a half season), Cassel has had 2 full seasons. I wouldn't say Cassel is clearly the inferior player.

He lost me at "based on one practice"

It's also fair to ask "Which Josh McCown got away?" The one who completed >66% of his passes and threw 13 TD to 1 INT in 5 games in 2013? Or the one who completed just over 56% of his passes and threw 11 TD and 14 INTs in 2014?