The Gov'ment looking to end payments for honoring military

I think it is wrong. If a team or any other organization wants to honor veterans, police officers, firemen or anyone else I am good with it. But exchanging money for it and presenting it as genuine makes it dirty and dishonorable.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You aren't getting it, because for me the answer is neither. I have an issue with the way it was done.

I don't care that the money was given. I don't care that the money was accepted.

I care that the Bills and 16 other NFL teams accepted the money "surreptitiously" & then the troops were trotted out and "honored."

Get right down to it, if I was outraged, I would be outraged at whoever came up with the idea.

Then is it an honor? How much does it cost to honor someone for their service?

I'm not saying you are outraged, but people clearly are.

I still would like to know if anyone knows exactly what was paid for then. Do we know if they paid for the airtime so that there wasn't a commercial during the ceremony? Do we know how much went to signs promoting the military? How much went to ads on BuffaloBills.com? Did they simply pay for the right to walk on the field at certain points? Did the Military have to bring their own football field sized flag? Did the Military have to make signs for tens of thousands of fans that will all line up to make a "Thank You" or "USA" in the crowd? Yes all of that costs money. People don't work for free. Maybe I can get mad at the NFL for not pushing the money away and saying "no this one is on us", but not until I know all of the facts on what was paid for. In the end, unless we ask for volunteers to do the legwork, it costs money either way, and until it is proven otherwise, I am not so sure it was simply net profit for the owners.

Yes it is an honor. Just like it is an honor to sing the national anthem before the games. It is also an ad for young people thinking about the military, and it is also to refresh in peoples minds that these people are out there defending our freedoms. These aren't mutually exclusive things.

I think it is wrong. If a team or any other organization wants to honor veterans, police officers, firemen or anyone else I am good with it. But exchanging money for it and presenting it as genuine makes it dirty and dishonorable.

Agreed. It makes it government sponsored propaganda and not a genuine, heartfelt, "thank you."

Advertising is one of the main functions of the NFL to obviously make money which is the primary function of any company. The military has a large budget for advertising so why is this an issue? To me this is politics by the senators bringing up the issue.

The military already rents out more commercial space than on any other spots at least as far as I can remember.

Agreed. It makes it government sponsored propaganda and not a genuine, heartfelt, "thank you."

to be fair..... do you normally assume when big business and the military partner up that its born of feelings, emotions, and selfless reverence of individuals? they are both goal driven machines. you just got to see the sausage being made here.

to be fair..... do you normally assume when big business and the military partner up that its born of feelings, emotions, and selfless reverence of individuals? they are both goal driven machines. you just got to see the sausage being made here.

YES. We SHOULD. That is what separates OR should spearate our culture from others that are more cynical. IT is what makes our culture great. There is a time and place for being cynical. This isn't the place. This is the core, the heart where it all can get posioned... And it does... And that's where all our problems start. Selfless service to others should be a very important cornerstone of culture. Don't poison the well.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

YES. We SHOULD. That is what separates OR should spearate our culture from others that are more cynical. IT is what makes our culture great. There is a time and place for being cynical. This isn't the place. This is the core, the heart where it all can get posioned... And it does... And that's where all our problems start. Selfless service to others should be a very important cornerstone of culture. Don't poison the well.

sure thing -- you, and i, im all for that..... but when it comes to military budgets and the nfl - do you really think that those two are the same boat as you and i caring for our fellow men?

YES. We SHOULD. That is what separates OR should spearate our culture from others that are more cynical. IT is what makes our culture great. There is a time and place for being cynical. This isn't the place. This is the core, the heart where it all can get posioned... And it does... And that's where all our problems start. Selfless service to others should be a very important cornerstone of culture.

- Adolf Hitler, Nuremburg, 1935.

Although if you eliminate the last sentence it could just as easily be 1880's Prussia.

- Adolf Hitler, Nuremburg, 1935.

Although if you eliminate the last sentence it could just as easily be 1880's Prussia.

Yep.

Who was it that said the next time America gets invaded, the enemy will be waving the flag and carrying a bible?

As a combat veteran who has attended games where the Bills did their "Salute to Service" in hindsight, it feels insincere, considering they were paid to do so.

I'm all for the NFL and their franchises being successful, but honoring the military should be something you do out of the goodness of your organization, not because someone paid you to do it.

Seems to me these days it's all insincere. Watch on TV - an emotional salute to the troops in a commercial - brought to you by Budweiser. They may really appreciate the service, but they are doing it to make a buck. If it was out of the goodness of their company, they wouldn't have to attach their product to it.

Wow... That's an strange twist of the old internet blame game. Be cyncial or you are a Nazi. LMAO...

No, that's actually very reminiscent of Prussian attitudes, and of some of Hitler's early speeches. Throw in something about the American farmers' bond with the land, and you're almost there.

Nothing personal, but you're Hitler...

I am too left. More like Stalin.

No, that's actually very reminiscent of Prussian attitudes, and of some of Hitler's early speeches. Throw in something about the American farmers' bond with the land, and you're almost there.

I guess, close to the family tree (Polish).

My last name is the name of a place in Pomerania. And... A battle in Poland during WWII (with one letter added)... Hint: My grandfather and his brotners made it sound Irish (very easy to do) so as to work on the railroad.

I will save the farmer's bond w/the land for Boyst. ;-)